Season Recap

flyingmonkey30

7 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

On Cousin Sal's gambling podcast on The Ringer, one of the cohost's (dunno his name but he's also a Cowboys fan) made the following remark about our loss to the Rams (at the 5 minute mark):

"Do you get the opinion that the Cowboys seemed totally fine with losing that game? Between the coaches, the players, even a lot of fans?"

That stung. I feel like that really sums up our year.

I don't know about anyone being totally fine wit losing, especially the coaches/players.  But, I do think there is bigger segment of fans where apathy has firmly set in. I'm probably one of them, so it may just be me.

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't know about anyone being totally fine wit losing, especially the coaches/players.  But, I do think there is bigger segment of fans where apathy has firmly set in. I'm probably one of them, so it may just be me.

Yeah it might've been more accurate to say the Jones family is more satisfied by this sort of outcome than the actual team is. But the ownership's happiness assures the continued employment of the coaches and players, so that must be pretty relieving.

17 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

On Cousin Sal's gambling podcast on The Ringer, one of the cohost's (dunno his name but he's also a Cowboys fan) made the following remark about our loss to the Rams (at the 5 minute mark):

"Do you get the opinion that the Cowboys seemed totally fine with losing that game? Between the coaches, the players, even a lot of fans?"

That stung. I feel like that really sums up our year.

I was devastated. But what are you supposed to do? Never get out of bed? Throw a temper tantrum? Should we riot in the streets? What should the team do to show they are upset? Blow up the entire roster and coaching staff that just won the division and a playoff game and has no starters over 30?

And sums up our year? We were 3-5! This team fought their butts off to go 7-1 down the stretch! How does "not caring" sum up the season?

13 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I was devastated. But what are you supposed to do? Never get out of bed? Throw a temper tantrum? Should we riot in the streets? What should the team do to show they are upset? Blow up the entire roster and coaching staff that just won the division and a playoff game and has no starters over 30?

And sums up our year? We were 3-5! This team fought their butts off to go 7-1 down the stretch! How does "not caring" sum up the season?

Perhaps leading up to the game... Before the game was even played there were a bunch people saying we had already "overacheived" and we were playing with "house money." I can only speak from a fans perspective but a lot of us cited going 7-1 down the stretch after a 3-5 start as being good enough to label the year a success.

I'm sure the players and coaches who have jobs on the line feel different. It's just funny that they rolled over the way they did. It reminded me of the IND game that they didn't need to win.

14 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

No I mean there is some earnest positivity in the sentiment. 3-5 to a playoff win over a team that had had our number lately and a one-possession game against one of the three best teams in the league is pretty impressive. But should Linehan and Moore stick around? Should we not seriously look into upgrading on Heath? Are ever gonna find a real difference maker on the defensive interior? Is any of that actually going to happen this year? I don't know. I just see us running it back with probably 20/22 or so of the same starters and the exact same schematic/philosophical approach, and naturally, the same strengths/weaknesses. And there's less people expressing trepidation over this than people yelling about spoiled Cowboys fans not appreciating their 2 playoff wins in five years.

Don't think we should blow everything up. Do think we're headed for another offseason of puff pieces and empty quotes about how they're gonna shake things up and evolve the offense and whatnot

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

No I mean there is some earnest positivity in the sentiment. 3-5 to a playoff win over a team that had had our number lately and a one-possession game against one of the three best teams in the league is pretty impressive. But should Linehan and Moore stick around? Should we not seriously look into upgrading on Heath? Are ever gonna find a real difference maker on the defensive interior? Is any of that actually going to happen this year? I don't know. I just see us running it back with probably 20/22 or so of the same starters and the exact same schematic/philosophical approach, and naturally, the same strengths/weaknesses. And there's less people expressing trepidation over this than people yelling about spoiled Cowboys fans not appreciating their 2 playoff wins in five years.

Seems like there is still a pretty good chance we do move on from Linehan. Seems like a pretty good chance we do try to upgrade Heath. Seems like a pretty good chance DT will be a priority in the draft. 

The fact that we didn't immediately do these things on Saturday night means we don't care that we lost? This doesn't make sense to me.

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Seems like there is still a pretty good chance we do move on from Linehan. Seems like a pretty good chance we do try to upgrade Heath. Seems like a pretty good chance DT will be a priority in the draft. 

The fact that we didn't immediately do these things on Saturday night means we don't care that we lost? This doesn't make sense to me.

No way, man. @WizardHawk aren't you supposed to kick yourself in the nuts every time you think we will draft a DT?

9 minutes ago, TVScout said:

I dont understand your point?

Does Jerry make stupid decisions, that goes without saying.

Does he get in the way sometimes? Very much so.

Doesnt mean he cant want to win and make money.

I doubt there are many owners that want to win and not make money. It is a business at the end of the day.

14 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Perhaps leading up to the game... Before the game was even played there were a bunch people saying we had already "overacheived" and we were playing with "house money." I can only speak from a fans perspective but a lot of us cited going 7-1 down the stretch after a 3-5 start as being good enough to label the year a success.

I'm sure the players and coaches who have jobs on the line feel different. It's just funny that they rolled over the way they did. It reminded me of the IND game that they didn't need to win.

I think you can be devastated about losing the game and football season being over, but also feel like the Cowboys made some real progress this year and that the trajectory is pointing upward for this franchise. 

13 minutes ago, TVScout said:

This has literally nothing to do with the argument. 

Jerry wanted his QB of the future. Many people on this board wanted Johnny Manziel as well. What does this have to do with his desire to win taking a backseat to his desire for profitability?

4 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I'll believe when I see it, but fair enough. Like WH said it's more the fan sentiment than anything else. I don't think most fans really expected to beat the Rams or were that surprised with the result, and that's not necessarily unfair or a bad thing so much as it is plainly true.

The way that it happened, though, getting demolished on the ground, just like 2008 BAL, 2012 WAS, all our awful losses to the Packers, some of those Giants games vs. Jacobs and Bradshaw... I mean how many times are we gonna get beat at our game and say (sorry for being too on the nose) "maybe next year?"

7 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This has literally nothing to do with the argument. 

Jerry wanted his QB of the future. Many people on this board wanted Johnny Manziel as well. What does this have to do with his desire to win taking a backseat to his desire for profitability?

You have it backwards. Jerry wanted Johnny more than a better player because Johnny would yield more profit for Jerry.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I'll believe when I see it, but fair enough. Like WH said it's more the fan sentiment than anything else. I don't think most fans really expected to beat the Rams or were that surprised with the result, and that's not necessarily unfair or a bad thing so much as it is plainly true.

The way that it happened, though, getting demolished on the ground, just like 2008 BAL, 2012 WAS, all our awful losses to the Packers, some of those Giants games vs. Jacobs and Bradshaw... I mean how many times are we gonna get beat at our game and say (sorry for being too on the nose) "maybe next year?"

Not really sure what to say, but I am kind of confused by your point. You are correct, I didn't expect to beat the Rams, we were 7 point underdogs. In the NFL, sometimes really good teams are going to make you look bad.

But as a decision-maker, I'd look at the current state of the Dallas Cowboys and think, "Not bad, if I make some incremental changes and keep improving, I can have a legitimate shot next year." Not "More than a decade ago we had a bad game against the Ravens, and that's going to be a factor in making drastic changes moving forward today".

Archived