Vikings hire Gary Kubiak for “offensive advisor”

pwny

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The thread title says OC...? O.o

Still, good for the Vikings. They just made a solid team even better. I wonder about Kubiak shirking the Broncos, though. Maybe he doesn't like Fangio? 

Elway and Fangio did not want him after it became clear he was going to insist on bringing back some of his underperforming assistants. Kubiak's offense hasn't evolved with other WCO disciples. Definitely still has value, but he should not be putting together his own staff and he needs another voice in the room. Looks like a good situation in Minnesota with Stefanski there. 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Elway and Fangio did not want him after it became clear he was going to insist on bringing back some of his underperforming assistants. Kubiak's offense hasn't evolved with other WCO disciples. Definitely still has value, but he should not be putting together his own staff and he needs another voice in the room. Looks like a good situation in Minnesota with Stefanski there. 

Interesting.

I hope Kubiak's health holds up. You gotta wonder with these guys who leave for health reasons, then come back. 

So this all but guarantees Siemian gets another year with the Vikes. J/k....kind of.

I think it's a solid fit -- the Vikes have playmakers who's skill-set are best used in a west coast offense.

That said, I'm still not sold on the fact that he is a bigger upgrade over Flip. 

31 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Wasn't he still under contract with the Broncos, I heard?

In their personnel office.  They were refusing OC interviews until it could be decided whether or not the new coach wanted him to become his OC.  The story is that Kubiak wanted to bring back Rick Dennison, and they couldn't agree on that and some of the scheme.  So Denver must have been willing to release him from his contract after that decision was made by Fangio. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

So this all but guarantees Siemian gets another year with the Vikes. J/k....kind of.

I think it's a solid fit -- the Vikes have playmakers who's skill-set are best used in a west coast offense.

That said, I'm still not sold on the fact that he is a bigger upgrade over Flip. 

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In their personnel office.  They were refusing OC interviews until it could be decided whether or not the new coach wanted him to become his OC.  The story is that Kubiak wanted to bring back Rick Dennison, and they couldn't agree on that and some of the scheme.  So Denver must have been willing to release him from his contract after that decision was made by Fangio. 

Yeah, Elway had Kubiak in mind for OC - he refused interviews for Kubiak as OC before Fangio was hired.   At some point, either Fangio heard more about the details Kubiak had in mind (in particular, he was committed to his son Klint as QBC, Brian Carini as TE coach, and Rick Dennison as OL coach - and said they were part of the package), and told Elway no freaking way.  Or Elway himself didn't agree with bringing the old guard and Kubiak's son as QBC (and likely the heir apparent to OC).    Our TE's have sucked since Shannon Sharpe retired, and our OL play under Dennison was great - when we won SB's and the short interval afterwards.   The problem was both Dennisons' blocking scheme and Kubiak's O have stopped being innovative for a while now.

I really hope he's just helping Stefanski - and not taking over as de facto OC with Dennison as OL coach.  When MIN lost Tony Sparano, that was a huge loss - Dennison is probably better than having no one.  But it's not nearly as an upgrade as some other guys would be IMO.   I do think with Cousins as your QB, you won't have to worry about Kubiak's biggest Achilles - he always tries to coach up QB's who are literally JAG's, and has picked the wrong QB when given a chance to offer draft/FA input (signed off on Osweiler, Lynch, and of course, stumped hard for Keenum last year),  and usually fails miserably.   With Cousins in the fold, MIN doesn't have to worry Kubiak will pick the wrong guy (even he won't pimp Siemian that hard, lol - although maybe over Kyle Sloter, that's very possible lol).

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, Elway had Kubiak in mind for OC - he refused interviews for Kubiak as OC before Fangio was hired.   At some point, either Fangio heard more about the details Kubiak had in mind (in particular, he was committed to his son as QBC, Brian Carini as TE coach, and Rick Dennison as OL coach - and said they were part of the package), and told Elway no freaking way.  Or Elway himself didn't agree with bringing the old guard and Kubiak's son as QBC (and likely the heir apparent to OC).    Our TE's have sucked since Shannon Sharpe retired, and our OL play under Dennison was great - when we won SB's and the short interval afterwards.   The problem was both Dennisons' blocking scheme and Kubiak's O have stopped being innovative for a while now.

I really hope he's just helping Stefanski - and not taking over as de facto OC with Dennison as OL coach.  When MIN lost Tony Sparano, that was a huge loss - Dennison is probably better than having no one.  But it's not nearly as an upgrade as some other guys would be IMO.   I do think with Cousins as your QB, you won't have to worry about Kubiak's biggest Achilles - he always tries to coach up QB's who are literally JAG's, and has picked the wrong QB when given a chance to offer draft/FA input (signed off on Osweiler, Lynch, and of course, stumped hard for Keenum last year),  and usually fails miserably.   With Cousins in the fold, MIN doesn't have to worry Kubiak will pick the wrong guy (even he won't pimp Siemian that hard, lol - although maybe over Kyle Sloter, that's very possible lol).

This is what my concern is aswell . It's also what makes the title 'advisor" so confusing at times from those of us on the outside looking in.

55 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This is what my concern is aswell . It's also what makes the title 'advisor" so confusing at times from those of us on the outside looking in.

The one concern I'd have too.  My reason for concern with MIN is that Kubiak could have stayed in DEN's FO as an "advisor" - so you have to wonder if there's something more offered - he doesn't want to be HC anymore, but OC was definitely his idea with staying in DEN.  If Kubiak gets to bring his 3 amigos in (Dennison OL coach, Pariani  as TE coach, son Klint as QBC), then it could be Zimmer's plan B if his itchy trigger finger to fire OC's happens again this year (lol).   That would be a mistake IMO.  Although not as bad of one with an actual QB on the team.

The biggest priority MIN can have is upgrading the trenches.   IMO Dennison doesn't really do that.   That's where hiring Kubiak could be a detriment.  If he's offering experience and getting the most of the MIN O with a vet QB, and MIN finds a better OL coach than Dennison, great.   We'll see.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Definitely still has value, but he should not be putting together his own staff 

Vikings hired his former TE coach.

The Vikings also announced they hired Brian Pariani as tight ends coach.

Pariani has more than 20 years experience coaching tight ends, most of it with Gary Kubiak. From 1994-2016, Pariani worked every season alongside Kubiak, with the exception of the 2005 season, when Pariani was at Syracuse. Pariani previously coached the tight ends position with Denver from 1995-2004 and again from 2015-16. He also spent time as the tight ends coach for the Texans (2006-13) and for one season with the Ravens in 2014.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/14/vikings-hire-brian-pariani-as-tight-ends-coach/

Archived