Raiders Defense

Rolni

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd think you'd play Crosby at the LEO defensive end spot and Yannick at the SLB spot from a 2 point stance with Ferrell playing the big edge role. 

Nah, that doesn’t suit Ngakoue, he’s an explosive pass rusher and you’d want to keep him away from TEs. You don’t pay Ngakoue to be thinking about taking on lead blockers. Get him upfield wreaking havoc. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His TFL and sack production both dropped and we went from having one of the best run defenses in the league in 2019 to one of the worst in 2020.

What has sack production got to do with the run defense? You keep mentioning sacks when we all know that Hankins is a run defender. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Nah, that doesn’t suit Ngakoue, he’s an explosive pass rusher and you’d want to keep him away from TEs. You don’t pay Ngakoue to be thinking about taking on lead blockers. Get him upfield wreaking havoc. 

Yannick played as a 3-4 OLB in Baltimore last season and Crosby has never played in a LB/two point stance type of role.

Just now, Dessie said:

What has sack production got to do with the run defense? You keep mentioning sacks when we all know that Hankins is a run defender. 

So then why did his TFL drop off from 7 to 1 last season as our run defense dropped off from one of the best in the league to one of the worst? 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

So then why did his TFL drop off from 7 to 1 last season as our run defense dropped off from one of the best in the league to one of the worst? 

The question was why do you keep mentioning sacks when it was the run defense that was being discussed? 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

The question was why do you keep mentioning sacks when it was the run defense that was being discussed? 

I said Hankins fell off between 2019 and 2020 as evident by his drop in production across the board as well as our run defense falling off.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I said Hankins fell off between 2019 and 2020 as evident by his drop in production across the board as well as our run defense falling off.

Nothing then as I thought. 

Edited by Dessie

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Hard to tell. Hall was a better run defender than Collins or Hurst. I wouldn't be surprised if he saw a lot more double teams in 2020 when the DT next to him was easily handled by a single blocker.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He finished with 8 sacks on the season but as I said I think it's a pretty mute point. We'll likely have 2 LB's on the field the majority of the time.

He had 3 sacks for Baltimore and barely played in the playoff game v the Bills, wasn’t a good fit. 

21 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Hard to tell. Hall was a better run defender than Collins or Hurst. I wouldn't be surprised if he saw a lot more double teams in 2020 when the DT next to him was easily handled by a single blocker.

And the DT's we added this off-season aren't known to be great run defenders either. 

18 minutes ago, Dessie said:

He had 3 sacks for Baltimore and barely played in the playoff game v the Bills, wasn’t a good fit. 

I don't think it's ideal to have Crosby or Yannick playing SLB unless it's more of a 3-4 look where they're essentially a DE.