Raiders Defense

Rolni

52 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

PFF has Kwiatkowski/Littleton as among the highest graded LB pairs lol

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-linebacker-rankings-entering-2021-nfl-season

both Yannick and Cle also cracked their top 32 edge players

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-edge-defender-rankings-the-32-best-players-entering-the-2021-nfl-season

its a projection.

https://tapedontlie.substack.com/p/gus-bradley-defense-primer-part-1

Bradley can put his Strong safety in a variety of positions in order to take away either the run or the pass to a certain area of the field. The beauty behind this approach is that the Strong Safety and the Weakside Linebacker are the only players exchanging responsibilities.

Makes sense to have college S playing WILL when they're assigned a similar role than the SS.

Gus Bradley and Ron Milus in the last 4 years in Los Angeles give their cornerbacks license to switch up their techniques (press, off, pedal, half-turn etc) in order to take away tendency and to play to their cornerback’s strengths.

https://tapedontlie.substack.com/p/gus-bradleys-fronts-and-stunts

While Bradley’s base cover 3 package is relatively simple by NFL standards, his fronts on the other hand are not. Most of it is standard across the NFL but there’s a few wrinkles here and there that are unique to Bradley.

• Like 2

Just watching some old vids of Solomon Thomas and it occurred to me what a Raider move or Al Davis kind of move it was to bring him on board, former high 1st round pick, super athlete for the position, underwhelmed and needs a change of scenery..................... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Just watching some old vids of Solomon Thomas and it occurred to me what a Raider move or Al Davis kind of move it was to bring him on board, former high 1st round pick, super athlete for the position, underwhelmed and needs a change of scenery..................... 

He was an overly athletic DT that the Niners drafted third overall to experiment with him at DE which didn't pan out because he lacked the bend necessary to play the edge. So he ended up in limbo before getting hurt last year. If there's a type of player you take a flyer on to fill a need, he's the type

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Kwiat gets a pass but he was really not that good last year. 

I thought he was average and then he was hurt. Sure, better than the junk we had in the past. I think it's a make or break year for him, as he has no dead cap in 2022. If he has another average year, he's close to 30. Might just sign an upgrade in free agency or draft a young stud. 

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

our defense actually has potential across the board. excited to see what develops

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Kwiat gets a pass but he was really not that good last year. 

I think you sell him short given the DL in front of him and general chaos around him, I thought he played at a pretty good level considering and his coverage was very underrated. 

• Like 1

I’m on the kwit train, no he’s not a pro bowler. But he was solid to good IMO. Several times last season when I thought a player was gonna break free it was him making the stop... and they stopped immediately. I believe he’ll only get better this year. We’ll see.... to be continued.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

who you think is on the hot seat as a defensive starter?

Ooohhh good question!

I think Littleton has a lot to prove, he's had an expensive contract and needs to show more than he did last season. Average won't be good enough, he'll have to play well to justify bringing him back for another year.

Ferrell will be expected to step up and be that big end, he has to stay healthy and perform this year or else he will essentially be a bust and we may bring in another option. I think he'll do well in that kind of role, he's not a speed rusher but can do the fundamentals well and lock down the strong side.

Abram has shown the odd flash but them makes some really dumb mistakes so he'll have to show he can play sound and disciplined, we have a few guys who could potentially pressure his roster spot.

Arnette will be under pressure from both Hayward and Isaiah Johnson, he's obviously still just finding his feet but I think Johnson could be the type of CB Gus Bradley likes and could unseat Arnette maybe.

Morrow will have plenty of competition for that 3rd LB spot, with our drafted guys and maybe a guy like Muse from last year. I'm not really sure who profiles to be our SLB ( none seem to fit it really well) but with Kwiatkoski at MLB I think Littleton seems like the best fit at WLB so it's a real competition hopefully at SLB.

So lots of hit seats and competition hopefully and as these guys are playing for their spot hopefully it will fire then up to perform. 😀