Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Can somebody preach? And then not to mention that every other team passed on him in the first round also(not TV mock Draft passed on him; real life passed on him) So he wasn’t considered a first rounder to anyone else that actually makes decisions

There is a flaw in the logic here.  Plenty of teams could have had him as a 1st rounder but when on the clock had at least 1 player they thought was better and for the teams that passed on him they had at least 2 players that where better.  Now your statement may very well be true but it does not have to be.

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

On a much better defense with a way better pass rush. Mullen had moments but overall he wasn't very good last season. 

i thought mullen started the season strong and really collapsed down the stretch. he got absolutely torched by the chargers

49 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There is a flaw in the logic here.  Plenty of teams could have had him as a 1st rounder but when on the clock had at least 1 player they thought was better and for the teams that passed on him they had at least 2 players that where better.  Now your statement may very well be true but it does not have to be.

17 out of 32 teams also passed on him in the second round

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

17 out of 32 teams also passed on him in the second round

Then at best he was the 3rd ranked player on their board.  Chances are he was valued at his highest as a late 1 early 2 but the point is we can not know for sure.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Then at best he was the 3rd ranked player on their board.  Chances are he was valued at his highest as a late 1 early 2 but the point is we can not know for sure.

That’s looking at the glass half full. He was drafted by a team in the second round that happened to have 2 picks and he was the second of those two picks. The first was a tight end. 

21 hours ago, Turnobili said:

and yet we have gotten even thinner at DT

I agree. But Hurst declined every year he was here and Irving must have shown up to OTA out of shape or didn't attend at all. Not a great sign for a guy that has had character concerns in the past. 

Right now we have Quinton Jefferson, Darius Philon, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Hankins, Kendall Vickers, and Darius Stills. 

Jefferson is familiar with the system from his days in Seattle, Philon is a Bradley guy, and Thomas is a guy with some upside. 

But realistically our interior pass rush will be pretty bad again. Unless Philon returns to form, Thomas lives up to his potential, Jefferson makes a leap, and/or Ferrell is effective as an interior pass rusher.

19 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

That’s looking at the glass half full. He was drafted by a team in the second round that happened to have 2 picks and he was the second of those two picks. The first was a tight end. 

I am not trying to say he was a top ten talent.  Just that we can not know with 100% certainty that every team saw him as a 2nd rounder.  Think back to the 2005 draft with Rodgers.  Do you think teams had Rodgers rated higher than 24?  If Smith was not there then Rodgers probably goes to SF after a trade down.  I think Miami probably would have drafted him if they traded down also.  I can not know for sure but I think it would have happened.  The same way I can not know for sure that every team had him ranked as a 2nd round talent.  Only thing I know for sure is that the team that did draft saw him as the best player for their team at the slot he was chosen.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I agree. But Hurst declined every year he was here and Irving must have shown up to OTA out of shape or didn't attend at all. Not a great sign for a guy that has had character concerns in the past. 

Right now we have Quinton Jefferson, Darius Philon, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Hankins, Kendall Vickers, and Darius Stills. 

Jefferson is familiar with the system from his days in Seattle, Philon is a Bradley guy, and Thomas is a guy with some upside. 

But realistically our interior pass rush will be pretty bad again. Unless Philon returns to form, Thomas lives up to his potential, Jefferson makes a leap, and/or Ferrell is effective as an interior pass rusher.

We gotta hope at least 1 of the 4 can make an impact inside.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:17 AM, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I don't disagree with this but I'd still like to see all these guys in practice and see what they've got. We've been stung by these Melifonwu, Darnell Bing types before so I'm interested in getting them all out there and seeing if a real DC can make something out of them. I don't really care which one but one of them has to really pan out 😀

Don't forget Patrick Bates...

6 hours ago, G said:

Don't forget Patrick Bates...

Haha yeh, there was another UDFA a few years ago I was high on too, his name escapes me but we don't seem to have had much success with these types.......maybe bad drafting, fits or coaching it all 3.......

On 5/21/2021 at 4:47 AM, NYRaider said:

Has Hayward played much in the slot previously?

Our defensive backfield has some wild cards but could in theory be pretty decent if Bradley is as good as advertised and our pass rush improves. 

CB1: Mullen - Has flashed in the past and has the tools to be a good #1 CB. 

CB2: Arnette - Former 1st round pick that has had his ups and downs. 

NCB: Hayward - One of the best CB's in the league over the past 5 years that has experience in Bradley's system.

SS: Abram - Former 1st round pick that fits pretty well in Bradley's system as a box safety.

FS: Moehrig - Rookie 2nd round pick that should be able to thrive in single high.

Including Joseph of course we have basically 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders tied up in the DB positions so we better have some decent players there or else it is an incredible waste of draft capital.......