Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 5/21/2021 at 5:48 PM, Jeremy408 said:

I’m actually very big fan of what the Raiders did with the interior. They basically just went and got a bunch of cheap talent To see what sticks and if say somehow none of them stick, none of them cost of anything so we’ll have enough money to pay someone next year. You’re saying one of them sticks and plays really well then you can just give him the money next year that it took to pay all of them this year.
Very low risk high reward. 

What I thought the bad move last year was was that with Malik Collins you’re putting your whole team on one player so if said player gets hurt Then you’re screwed

I actually think one guy we seem to be sleeping on and not mentioned very much at all is Kendall Vickers. Not a sure fire stud by any means but rew-watching some games he shows a lot more inside than Collins did (obviously) and looks better to me and more explosive than Hurst. He could be a dark horse to make the roster as a 3T that can add some pass rush with an extra year in the system and some good coaching. Chris Smith at DE/DT looked decent in flashes last year too but I guess we didn't bring him back.

One other thing I can't quite understand is there seems to be a lot of pessimism over Rod Marinelli. Now, Marinelli is a very highly regarded DL coach and that has been the case for years, not just since he's been with the Raiders. He didn't just become a bad coach over night since he got here and from what I read is a very hands on, old school type coach so I bet he really was affected last year with the Covid affected practices, camp etc. I hope he can really get his hands on some of these young guys and help them this year. I think we'll see some improvement and a guy like Vickers who is flying under the radar possibly surprise on the depth chart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I actually think one guy we seem to be sleeping on and not mentioned very much at all is Kendall Vickers. Not a sure fire stud by any means but rew-watching some games he shows a lot more inside than Collins did (obviously) and looks better to me and more explosive than Hurst. He could be a dark horse to make the roster as a 3T that can add some pass rush with an extra year in the system and some good coaching. Chris Smith at DE/DT looked decent in flashes last year too but I guess we didn't bring him back.

One other thing I can't quite understand is there seems to be a lot of pessimism over Rod Marinelli. Now, Marinelli is a very highly regarded DL coach and that has been the case for years, not just since he's been with the Raiders. He didn't just become a bad coach over night since he got here and from what I read is a very hands on, old school type coach so I bet he really was affected last year with the Covid affected practices, camp etc. I hope he can really get his hands on some of these young guys and help them this year. I think we'll see some improvement and a guy like Vickers who is flying under the radar possibly surprise on the depth chart. 

The reason why I don’t talk about Kendall Vickers is because I don’t want to do the thing where we hype up somebody who was already on the roster only for them to be cut. That being said he is someone that I have thought about. He’d did well in limited reps but they are both positives to that and negatives to that. For me personally  I just haven’t seen enough film on the guy. 

as far as what you said about Ron Marinelli I 100% percent agree. Can the guy get an off-season with the players before we start saying that his whole coaching career was a fluke and that we should’ve kept the other guy?

Edited by Jeremy408

On 5/21/2021 at 1:53 PM, Jeremy408 said:

Can somebody preach? And then not to mention that every other team passed on him in the first round also(not TV mock Draft passed on him; real life passed on him) So he wasn’t considered a first rounder to anyone else that actually makes decisions

Except he had a shoulder injury that's why he dropped, just like Moehrig this year dropped because of injury. Lol

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Except he had a shoulder injury that's why he dropped, just like Moehrig this year dropped because of injury. Lol

Except Caleb Farley hasn’t played in almost two years and had back surgery right before the draft and still went in the first round

how about DJ Hayden who missed most of the season because he broke his sternum didn’t participate in the combine comes back just in time for his pro day and goes in the first round

since you brought up Trevon Moehrig how about Malik hooker who had a torn labrum but still went in... you guessed it...The first round

Edited by Jeremy408

19 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

how about DJ Hayden who missed most of the season because he broke his sternum didn’t participate in the combine comes back just in time for his pro day and goes in the first round

DJ Hayden's heart literally exploded at practice and he almost died, was a weird pick. I believe he has had a pretty solid career though.

14 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’m interested in the defensive rookies impact we need it 

Other than Moehrig I don't expect any of our rookies on defense to play that much. Koonce as a situational rusher and Deablo as a backup LB/special teamer. Hobbs and Gilepsie will probably play special teams.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DJ Hayden's heart literally exploded at practice and he almost died, was a weird pick. I believe he has had a pretty solid career though.

What specifically speaking to the notion that players that get her there last season in college or during the pre-draft process(especially corners) still get drafted in the first round

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Other than Moehrig I don't expect any of our rookies on defense to play that much. Koonce as a situational rusher and Deablo as a backup LB/special teamer. Hobbs and Gilepsie will probably play special teams.

He’s the most interesting because he should start day1 and we need solid fs play in a major way

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He’s the most interesting because he should start day1 and we need solid fs play in a major way

Yeah, Moehrig should be good, he has IQ and instincts you can't teach. Interested to see how he holds up in single high as a rookie though not an easy job for anyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, Moehrig should be good, he has IQ and instincts you can't teach. Interested to see how he holds up in single high as a rookie though not an easy job for anyone.

I'm not really sold on him to be honest BUT Gus Bradley's credit is good with me 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That was what I really hated about our draft. We drafted decent depth guys, but man it feels like we did so while passing up guys who might have actually started (or competed to at least). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

That was what I really hated about our draft. We drafted decent depth guys, but man it feels like we did so while passing up guys who might have actually started (or competed to at least). 

Agreed. The only two players we drafted that will start or get consistent reps are Leatherwood and Moehrig. The rest of our defensive picks are backups/developmental guys which is fine as they could develop but I don't see any of them really making a huge impact for us this year. At best Koonce is a rotational pass rusher and Gilepsie rotates in at safety but I'd imagine that Moehrig/Abram/Joseph get most of the reps. Debalo could play but I don't really see him beating out Kwit, Littleton, and Morrow for consistent reps. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Moehrig should be good he has good range and football IQ, was the best safety in the draft, imo. 

I preferred Ritchie grant personally as a fit for the type of Safety that we need but like I said I trust Gus Bradley on this one