Raiders Defense

Rolni

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Our run defense fell off a cliff while his TFL and sack production decreased and his PFF run defense grade also decreased. 

Run defence is a whole front thing, I don't think you can place the majority of blame on Hankins for that, did you watch Collins get repeatedly destroyed in run defence? Crosby wasn't great either and Ferrel was in and out of the team a lot. Plus a couple games like the KC game we obviously didn't even bother playing run defence, we just pass rushed the whole game so you have to take things like that into account. I though Hankins had a very solid season, not Pro Bowl worthy but very solid. 

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Run defence is a whole front thing, I don't think you can place the majority of blame on Hankins for that, did you watch Collins get repeatedly destroyed in run defence? Crosby wasn't great either and Ferrel was in and out of the team a lot. Plus a couple games like the KC game we obviously didn't even bother playing run defence, we just pass rushed the whole game so you have to take things like that into account. I though Hankins had a very solid season, not Pro Bowl worthy but very solid. 

Hankins is definitely not the problem when it comes to the run game.  At $3.5 million I would not complain even if his production drops some.

The one area of the defence I think there is still a question mark over is the SLB. I see there are a few guys who could all fill in there but I don't necessarily see a really good fit. As he's up on the line guys like Crosby, Koonce could possibly fill in there but then you worry about the coverage responsibilities and if we use a lighter guy like Morrow, Muse or Deablo there how will they fare when they have to take on blockers and the run support role on the strong side. They'll need to be a decent pass rusher too so I don't really see a guy who fills all the requirements really like a Bruce Irvin.

Who do we feel is going to be the guy who takes that role??

40 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The one area of the defence I think there is still a question mark over is the SLB. I see there are a few guys who could all fill in there but I don't necessarily see a really good fit. As he's up on the line guys like Crosby, Koonce could possibly fill in there but then you worry about the coverage responsibilities and if we use a lighter guy like Morrow, Muse or Deablo there how will they fare when they have to take on blockers and the run support role on the strong side. They'll need to be a decent pass rusher too so I don't really see a guy who fills all the requirements really like a Bruce Irvin.

Doesn't look like there's that role in the latest Bradley's defense. The top 4 LBs in snaps for LAC last year were Murray, White, Perryman and Vigil. There's no Irvin type on that list. Maybe Nwosu (listed as a DE) played some in that role but i haven't looked enough into it to be able to tell.

From the few games i've looked at, it's a lot of nickel and dime packages, rarely 3 LBs on the field.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

In the 4-3 under Base I think it’s going to be  Crosby as SLB. SLB is like a 5th D-lineman and only going to be used in run situations. As they are lined up on the outside of the formation, having length like Crosby has will  be a big asset in the run game. SAM usually lines up in a 2 point stance as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Doesn't look like there's that role in the latest Bradley's defense. The top 4 LBs in snaps for LAC last year were Murray, White, Perryman and Vigil. There's no Irvin type on that list. Maybe Nwosu (listed as a DE) played some in that role but i haven't looked enough into it to be able to tell.

From the few games i've looked at, it's a lot of nickel and dime packages, rarely 3 LBs on the field.

Yeah this is it for me. 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Bradley doesn't use that SAM/SLB role like they did in Seattle.

There will be basically 2 SLB/SAM player/role IMO.

When the SLB is a classic LB and have cover duties and when the SLB is the 3-4OLB type pass rusher, edge container.

Let's call the first one SLB and the second one SAM.

At SLB Nicholas Morrow will be the player and will be used similarly to White With the Chargers.

At SAM Crosby, Koonce and even Yannick will get his chance IMO and their role will be the Melvin Gordon, Nwosu role.

4-3 base will be with SLB and from that when we shift to 4-3 under we will make a substitution to a SAM if needed.

Also don't forget that we will use the SAM player in nickel and dime at DE across from the LEO.

1st play:

Ferrell-Hankins-Thomas-Yannick

Morrow-Kwia-Littleton

then we shift a bit

Morrow (TE cover)-Ferrell-Hankins-Thomas-Yannick

Kwia------Littleton

make a substitution

Crosby (ED)-Ferrell-Hankins-Thomas-Yannick

Kwia/Morrow------Littleton

switch to nickel next

Crosby-Ferrell-Thomas-Yannick

Kwia/Morrow-Littleton

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

When the SLB is a classic LB and have cover duties and when the SLB is the 3-4OLB type pass rusher, edge container.

At SLB Nicholas Morrow will be the player and will be used similarly to White With the Chargers.

At SAM Crosby, Koonce and even Yannick will get his chance IMO and their role will be the Melvin Gordon, Nwosu role.

4-3 base will be with SLB and from that when we shift to 4-3 under we will make a substitution to a SAM if needed.

Also don't forget that we will use the SAM player in nickel and dime at DE across from the LEO.

1st play:

Morrow-Kwia-Littleton

then we shift a bit

Kwia------Littleton

make a substitution

switch to nickel next

Kwia/Morrow-Littleton

Yeh, I can see that and I was thinking the nickel backers would be Kwiatkoski and Littleton, the MLB and the WLB and in 'base' the SLB would line up on the traditional strong side on the left and be up near the line, almost like a 3-4 outside LB. I guess the advantage is that we could basically use any combination and align them to suit and Bradley is known to move guys about and use role players. Muse, Morrow, Deablo and Littleton all figure to be more traditional WLB types to me but as you explained above I can see how we could shift to use those different role players. Interesting times indeed!

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I can see that and I was thinking the nickel backers would be Kwiatkoski and Littleton, the MLB and the WLB and in 'base' the SLB would line up on the traditional strong side on the left and be up near the line, almost like a 3-4 outside LB. I guess the advantage is that we could basically use any combination and align them to suit and Bradley is known to move guys about and use role players. Muse, Morrow, Deablo and Littleton all figure to be more traditional WLB types to me but as you explained above I can see how we could shift to use those different role players. Interesting times indeed!

That’s how I see it. 

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

1st play:

Morrow-Kwia-Littleton

then we shift a bit

Kwia------Littleton

make a substitution

switch to nickel next

Kwia/Morrow-Littleton

Isn’t Kyzer White a big safety that plays LB and wouldn’t that be the role of Deablo ? That’s more a big nickel look isn’t it rather than a base 4-3 ? 

With Abram at safety you can interchange their roles to create confusion for the QB, Panthers did that with Chinn a lot last season. 

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Isn’t Kyzer White a big safety that plays LB and wouldn’t that be the role of Deablo ? That’s more a big nickel look isn’t it rather than a base 4-3 ? 

With Abram at safety you can interchange their roles to create confusion for the QB, Panthers did that with Chinn a lot last season

That's an interesting wrinkle to throw in there, that is well spotted and something I could very easily seeing us doing. We seem to have a real variety of players for those types of roles.

On 5/30/2021 at 1:58 AM, Darbsk said:

He only had 1 sack and his TFL decreased from 7 in 2019 to 1 in 2020 while our run defense went from giving up from 98 yards per game (8th), 3.9 ypc (5th) and 15 TD (21st) to 125 ypg (24th), 4.6 ypc (24th), and 24 TD (30th) in 2020. 

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

In the 4-3 under Base I think it’s going to be  Crosby as SLB. SLB is like a 5th D-lineman and only going to be used in run situations. As they are lined up on the outside of the formation, having length like Crosby has will  be a big asset in the run game. SAM usually lines up in a 2 point stance as well. 

I'd think you'd play Crosby at the LEO defensive end spot and Yannick at the SLB spot from a 2 point stance with Ferrell playing the big edge role.