Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm really hopeful that competition gets something out of our DT group. If Ferrell can get it done inside, I think between Philon/Jefferson/Vickers/Thomas (maybe), we can have a better inside rush than last year. Yannick will add enough to the edge group with Maxx that we just need 1-2 of those guys to emerge and we'll be able to have a fine 4 man rush. 

I actually don't have any worries really on the outside. I know it's not a popular train of thought but I think Ferrell is due for a very decent year and he's going to be effective as the 'big' DE in our scheme. Ngokoue is a good pass rusher and well suited to the LEO role and Crosby should be more efficient and has plenty of room to grow and develop as a very decent end. Nassib (again probably not a popular opinion) I feel can be useful, also play the big end role as a back up and although his contract is terrible I feel is a pretty decent player. The interior has all the question marks for me but at least we've got a bunch of lotto tickets this time not just the single one in Collins. I feel like at least one should work out.......

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I actually don't have any worries really on the outside. I know it's not a popular train of thought but I think Ferrell is due for a very decent year and he's going to be effective as the 'big' DE in our scheme. Ngokoue is a good pass rusher and well suited to the LEO role and Crosby should be more efficient and has plenty of room to grow and develop as a very decent end. Nassib (again probably not a popular opinion) I feel can be useful, also play the big end role as a back up and although his contract is terrible I feel is a pretty decent player. The interior has all the question marks for me but at least we've got a bunch of lotto tickets this time not just the single one in Collins. I feel like at least one should work out.......

I absolutely agree.  I’m going on record and saying Ferrell will have a very very good season.... as long as we get decent DT play.  Im Very excited to see Ferrell (3T) and Ngokoue (9T LEO) lined up along side each other running twists and stunts on 3rd down.  I’m gonna Say Ferrell has 7 sacks or more and 30 or more pressures.

i think We get 12 sacks from Ngokoue, 7 from Ferrell, and 10 From Crosby.

That real question is how many Sacks can we get out of the DTs and LBs and other players.  That will Determine a lot of how highly ranked our Pass rush is.

i Think Nassib Can actually be serviceable... although from Day 1 I ridiculed that contract.  However, I can see Nassib getting lost in the rotation and bumped out.

Edited by jimkelly02

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I absolutely agree.  I’m going on record and saying Ferrell will have a very very good season.... as long as we get decent DT play.  Im Very excited to see Ferrell (3T) and Ngokoue (9T LEO) lined up along side each other running twists and stunts on 3rd down.  I’m gonna Say Ferrell has 7 sacks or more and 30 or more pressures.

That real question is how many Sacks can we get out of the DTs and LBs and other players.  That will Determine a lot of how highly ranked our Pass rush is.

i Think Nassib Can actually be serviceable... although from Day 1 I ridiculed that contract.  However, I can see Nassib getting lost in the rotation and bumped out.

If we get 2/3 of this I'll be thrilled.

21 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think that’s realistic 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:
23 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We only had 21 sacks as a team last season, would be a huge leap.

Yeh, as much as that is what I'd hope for I think a reasonable production would be 8 to 10 sacks from Ngakoue, 6 to 8 sacks from Crosby and 5 or 6 from Ferrell. Add in a couple for Nassib and Koonce and I'd be OK with that. I hope the safeties add a couple on blitzes and a couple each from the 3Ts and one or two from the LBs and we might get 30 to 35 as a team is my hope. More than that is asking for too much of a turnaround IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We only had 21 sacks as a team last season, would be a huge leap.

I think we can surpass last year's numbers. I'm skeptical of our IDL, but who knows yet. 

That said, even if we take a big leap, I can practically guarantee Ferrell giving us more than 2 sacks is a pipe dream. The "hope" we were given was that he could be an 8 sack guy, and he's nowhere near as developed as a pass rusher to get anywhere close to that.

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

The only pass rusher he played with before was Max Crosby(Who is really more of a complementary pass rusher)

And now we have Crosby and Yannick, who is also more of a complimentary pass rusher. Solomon Thomas and Quinten Jefferson have put up Mo Hurst level sack production throughout their careers. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I think we can surpass last year's numbers. I'm skeptical of our IDL, but who knows yet. 

That said, even if we take a big leap, I can practically guarantee Ferrell giving us more than 2 sacks is a pipe dream. The "hope" we were given was that he could be an 8 sack guy, and he's nowhere near as developed as a pass rusher to get anywhere close to that.

We'll see if Rod is really as great as Gruden hyped him up to be. No one that we have on the inside has proven to be an effective or a consistent pass rusher. And Gus Bradley literally blitzes less than any DC in the NFL. 

Agreed, Ferrell has shown essentially nothing as a pass rusher. He had 2 sacks last season and they both came in 1 game against the 0-12 Jets. And he had 4.5 sacks as a rookie, 3.5 of which came against the Chargers who had one of the worst OL in football. Other than that he has 1 sack in 23 games.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell has 6.5 sacks in like 30 games and 4.5 of those came in 2.

I think Ferrell will increase his production as soon as we get better play around him like he had at Clemson.  His production at Clemson was inflated by the players he had around him.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And now we have Crosby and Yannick, who is also more of a complimentary pass rusher. Solomon Thomas and Quinten Jefferson have put up Mo Hurst level sack production throughout their careers. 

Complimentary pass rushers dont consistently get eight or more sacks in a season regardless of what team they play on or who are around them

Edited by Jeremy408

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think Ferrell will increase his production as soon as we get better play around him like he had at Clemson.  His production at Clemson was inflated by the players he had around him.

Anyone who thinks he’s getting big numbers is deluding themselves.  Playing primarily as a 5T is not historically a big sack numbers position 

Plus I’m thinking his arc is going to be similar to Chiefs Tyson Jackson.  Solid player, but nothing spectacular.