Raiders Defense

Rolni

17 hours ago, Turnobili said:

can't fathom how "get off the line slower" is ever a coaching decision

You never heard of read and react? You engaged the O- linemen  and then you read where the ball is going.

I personally think it's the worst kind of defensive scheme.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:01 PM, big_palooka said:

I think he proved to be the same average player he was starting in Chicago who had a more talented defense. Sure tackler, knows his assignments, plays hard. Nothing special. Just a guy. 

He's not going to be a sideline to sideline playmaker who makes plays behind the LOS, creates havoc and forces turnovers. I want that Roquan Smith type for my defense. Have literally been on that bandwagon for years now it seems.

I love JOK as well fwiw. 

And the only reason he was starting was because of injuries 

On 6/7/2021 at 8:01 PM, Jeremy408 said:

Complimentary pass rushers dont consistently get eight or more sacks in a season regardless of what team they play on or who are around them

People here say that Crosby isn't a 3 down player because he struggles in run support but Yannick was even worse than Crosby as a run defender on a much better defense. I like the signing but there's a reason 3 teams let him go in 7 months. 

On 6/9/2021 at 6:58 AM, SimonGruber said:

If I recall correctly management drafted with him without some or most agility drills. Either way hope coaches can squeeze out a good year from him

He didn't have any testing numbers because he was hurt before the draft. 

On 6/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, ronjon1990 said:

I never liked the Ferrell pick for that reason (and why I don't gush over guys like Ruggs until they actually show me something).

So many Alabama players have been lighting it up in the NFL though and at least Ruggs is/was an elite athlete. Ferrell's struggles are because he's simply not that great of an athlete.

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

People here say that Crosby isn't a 3 down player because he struggles in run support but Yannick was even worse than Crosby as a run defender on a much better defense. I like the signing but there's a reason 3 teams let him go in 7 months. 

Yea but was talking specifically about rushing the passer(Which he has been the lead edge rusher on everything he's ever played for)

Edited by Jeremy408

On 6/10/2021 at 9:18 PM, drfrey13 said:

He did a few drills but choose not to run.  I would like to know his ten yard split.  Here is the combine workout for him.  He has heavy feet.  He would have ran a bad 40 and was probably told to skip it.  He did the drills after everyone ran so it was not an injury.  Should have been a huge red flag.  If you watch his games he is not explosive on the field either.  Lawrence would have been a better choice at 4.

Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell's 2019 NFL Scouting Combine workout

Whilst I totally agree he has heavy feet, is really kinda clumsy and lacks real pace, bend and twitch I still think he can be a very solid DE. Good Base Ends still need to set the edge, play the run and bull rush and use technique so whilst he'll never ever be a twitchy, bendy pass rusher and pass rushing won't be his forte he could still be a very good base end I feel for us but he does need a wingman like Ngakoue to help him. Now, if that's value at 4 is another question and you might be right that in hindsight Lawrence may have been the better Clemson guy to pick. Really, we could have had Lawrence at 4 and Sweat at 27......... 🤔

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yea but was talking specifically about rushing the passer(Which he has been the lead edge rusher on everything he's ever played for)

Yannick's best pass rushing year (12 sacks) and the only year he has ever had 10+ sacks came on a defense that had Calais Campbell (14.5 sacks), Malik Jackson (8 sacks), and Dante Fowler (8 sacks). 

He had 9.5 sacks the following season but Campbell had 10.5 then he had 8 sacks the season after that and Josh Allen had 10 sacks. 

Maxx Crosby has had more sacks than Yannick over the past 2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yannick's best pass rushing year (12 sacks) and the only year he has ever had 10+ sacks came on a defense that had Calais Campbell (14.5 sacks), Malik Jackson (8 sacks), and Dante Fowler (8 sacks). 

He had 9.5 sacks the following season but Campbell had 10.5 then he had 8 sacks the season after that and Josh Allen had 10 sacks. 

Maxx Crosby has had more sacks than Yannick over the past 2 seasons. 

Qi4vRT.jpg

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Im not going to insult your intelligence so i'm not going say what you already know is wrong with you trying to compare these 2 players. So ill chalk it up to you trying to come up with a quick response over a correct response

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Whilst I totally agree he has heavy feet, is really kinda clumsy and lacks real pace, bend and twitch I still think he can be a very solid DE. Good Base Ends still need to set the edge, play the run and bull rush and use technique so whilst he'll never ever be a twitchy, bendy pass rusher and pass rushing won't be his forte he could still be a very good base end I feel for us but he does need a wingman like Ngakoue to help him. Now, if that's value at 4 is another question and you might be right that in hindsight Lawrence may have been the better Clemson guy to pick. Really, we could have had Lawrence at 4 and Sweat at 27......... 🤔

I would rather have Lawrence but if we would have picked him there I still would have been angry.  Too early for either.  I think Ferrell is going to be a good base end also  but not #4 worthy.  Lawrence on the other hand could very easily end up as one of the top 5 players from that draft.  I did not think he would have been this good right away.  Will be interesting to see how well he plays with Tomlinson gone.  Very hard to block either of those guys 1v1.  Just realized him and Trent Brown look like they could be brothers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Again I’m not going to insult your intelligence because I know that you know pass rushing and run defense isn’t the same thing.