Were there any two teams you could combine, and still miss the playoffs with?

patriotsheatyan

Cardinals raiders would be a solid team, if they play in either division though they may miss the playoffs.

Zona provides some more defenders for Oakland, as well as david Johnson and larry. 

Oakland decent line and derek carr makes it all the more solid. 

4ers and giants would be an interesting one. Shanny with Barkley could be fire, but, they still dont have much at qb.

Best bet would be to pick two teams that still leave you lacking or green at the QB position. If you can throw in a bad combined OL as well then that's even better. I could see something like a Cardinals/Bills combination not being any better than the Bills final record. Maybe the Cardinals/Jets. Either combo leaves you in the same place as the original teams, effectively. A rookie QB trying to overcome a terrible OL and/or weapons and appropriately struggling to do so. You'd have a potentially very talented and strong defense, but you're still left basically where the Bills were this year.

45 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Best bet would be to pick two teams that still leave you lacking or green at the QB position. If you can throw in a bad combined OL as well then that's even better. I could see something like a Cardinals/Bills combination not being any better than the Bills final record. Maybe the Cardinals/Jets. Either combo leaves you in the same place as the original teams, effectively. A rookie QB trying to overcome a terrible OL and/or weapons and appropriately struggling to do so. You'd have a potentially very talented and strong defense, but you're still left basically where the Bills were this year.

Didn't the Cardinals also have a great pass rush this year? That defense would be pretty great right? Allen with DJ & Fitz would help a ton too. In the AFC you could see them winning enough though

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didn't the Cardinals also have a great pass rush this year? That defense would be pretty great right? Allen with DJ & Fitz would help a ton too. In the AFC you could see them winning enough though

The defense would be very good, certainly. Though the Bills defense was already quite good. 18th in points with 5 defensive TDs scored against them is pretty impressive. So I think there'd be diminishing returns there. You're taking a good defense and maybe making it great. But taking a bad offense and leaving it bad. But more to the point, let's say they take the Bills schedule. If they keep the 6 wins the Bills had. Their losses were against Chicago, Green Bay, Baltimore, LAC, New England twice, Houston, Indy, Miami, and the Jets. They'd need 4 more wins out of those losses. Maybe 5, if one of those wins isn't Indy or two against the Pats. I'm not sure I see that happening.

And a key thing to me, is it's very hard to have a great defense statistically with a bad offense. The reverse is quite common, a bad defense enables a great offense to stay aggressive and score. But a bad offense just means field position and turnover issues for the other side. You can definitely have a mediocre, ball control type of offense with a great defense, but I'm not sure that team would be built for that. I just don't see that defensive talent getting that many more wins when that offense still wouldn't be good.

They may do better than I would think. But I think this route (keeping the offense bad, even if it means the defense is loaded with talent) is better than combining, say, the Raiders with someone, and giving a D like the Cards or Bills a QB as capable as Carr and an OL that has done well when the coaching wasn't garbage.

Green Bay and Detroit! The combined defense would be respectable but the coaching staffs would get in their own way. Both offenses are carried by their QB’s though they can’t be on the field at the same time. With Detroit adding very little in terms of offensive skill players. The offense would struggle again. Yes they both had six wins but... two of those Detroit wins came over Green Bay and Green Bay did lose to Arizona and barely beat the Jets and 49ers...

Raiders/Browns

The Raiders were doomed from the beginning because bringing in a retread coach like Gruden almost never works out too well and this is usually because said coach fails to adjust with the times. Especially one who has been away from the game as long as he has.  And this was only amplified 10 fold by the fact that Mr Banana felt like he had too many young players on the team. 

And among of all of that......Mr Banana still failed to surround Carr with any help at the skill position which has been one of the biggest glaring holes for I don't know how long now.

I bring up the Browns because because Hue was already lost and I don't just say that in hindsight. I was not impressed by him last year and the hard knock series only further confirmed this (I know, it's only TV but still).  Then to top it off, he thought it was a good idea to match up Haley's personality with a brash young QB like Mayfield and seriously thought it could actually  work.

26 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Green Bay and Detroit! The combined defense would be respectable but the coaching staffs would get in their own way. Both offenses are carried by their QB’s though they can’t be on the field at the same time. With Detroit adding very little in terms of offensive skill players. The offense would struggle again. Yes they both had six wins but... two of those Detroit wins came over Green Bay and Green Bay did lose to Arizona and barely beat the Jets and 49ers...

The words "Green Bay" and "defense" do not belong in the same sentence. B|

Archived