Is the Saints window closed?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Saints window closed?

• Yes
    • No, but it’s only open next year
    • No, and it’s open multiple years into the future

Just now, rocky_rams said:

I dont buy that. Brees, even with a declining arm, is a top 5 QB in the league 

You may not buy it, but as a Saints fan that's how I'm looking at it.  If he surprises me with another great season I'll be happy, but I'm not expecting it.  I'm not expecting a Manning like drop-off, but I don't think he'll be good enough next year.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

You may not buy it, but as a Saints fan that's how I'm looking at it.  If he surprises me with another great season I'll be happy, but I'm not expecting it.  I'm not expecting a Manning like drop-off, but I don't think he'll be good enough next year.

He's going to be fine. I saw somewhere that he takes care of himself like crazy. It's just not out there like it is with Brady. 

He will have a solid year again. I expect you guys to be really aggressive in the off season to go all out to give Brees one last shot

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

He's going to be fine. I saw somewhere that he takes care of himself like crazy. It's just not out there like it is with Brady. 

He will have a solid year again. I expect you guys to be really aggressive in the off season to go all out to give Brees one last shot

We thought that this past year.  I'm just not convinced.

a lot of talk about brees’ declining arm and yeah but he was the walk in mvp until he completely shat the bed (as did the rest of their offense) in arlington at the jerry dome

so with an off-season for it to rest and recover i’m confident he’ll be back and leading them to another berth next year, depending on how the falcons and panthers recover it will be a higher or lower one

Brees arm is good enough to compete for a championship next year. It is impossible to say anything for years beyond that. The Saints the past 2 years have been good enough to win at all, they just haven't been lucky enough. In the playoffs, you have to be both good and lucky. 

On 1/21/2019 at 3:02 AM, N4L said:

sean payton is a fantastic gameplanner and play caller.  I think he will be able to pull an Andy Reid and find a young QB to groom for the future. Might take a few years but I dont doubt they will be contenders for a while with the young core they have

They don't have the draft capital this year to move up and get a young QB but this might not be the greatest QB in draft history either.  Perhaps in 2020?

17 hours ago, candyman93 said:

They have 1 year left and SHOULD trade up for a QB of the future this year or it’s gonna get ugly.

They’ve got the ammo to trade up for a top 10-15 pick.

But what QB in this class is worth this kind of trade up?  And without even a late first round pick what kind of ammo do they really have to offer?

11 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

And with his veteran savvy does he really need to have a canon these days?  I've always been a Brees fan.  I like they way he plays and he seems like a great guy off the field. 

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

But what QB in this class is worth this kind of trade up?  And without even a late first round pick what kind of ammo do they really have to offer?

If the Saints had all their capital and were able to take their pick of QBs, which they wouldn't have the capital to do so, I think Dwayne Haskins would fit their system perfectly, especially since he would get to sit for a year behind Brees to develop more since he only had 1 year of starting experience in College.  That being said I think they pass on drafting a QB this year, use their 2nd for a TE/WR/OL depending on BPA, and then in 2020 they will see what is there.  I think they will be sitting around pick #22 or so again at worst next year, their defense and running game is too good as long as Brees is serviceable to be worse, and might not find a player they love next year.  I think 2021 is the most likely scenario with whoever takes over after Brees likely retires after next year, won't be able to bring up the same level of play as Brees and will open up the Saints first really bad season since 2005, possibly with a similar record even.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar dropoff as what Jacksonville had this past year when Brees is gone where even with their defense they couldn't win games due to the offense.  That could potentially open up drafting Trevor Lawrence depending on how bad they are.

No their window is not closed.  They still have a very talented roster and Brees has 1 year remaining on his contract which I expect him to play out.  Although he is not the same QB as years past he's still better than 75% of the starting QBs in the NFL.  Plus like others have said, they have Taysom Hill to take some pressure off Brees slinging the ball 30-40 times a game.

Archived