Is Jared Goff the best young QB (under 30) in the NFL?

tyler735

Just now, rocky_rams said:

The 49ers looked special but they didn't look like a dynasty. You need a great QB for that

Revisionst history at it's finest. Kaepernick was viewed as a developing passer, but a unique weapon as a runner. Harbaugh knew how to get the most out of him. A defense led by Patrick Willis didn't put up phyrric sack numbers, they actually shut teams down.

But, go ahead and keep thinking otherwise.

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

And you keep discounting us. You mention everything everyone else did. Dont worry about other teams. We are talking about a combo of a young top 5 HC and a top 3 young qb

And you keep acting like you've accomplished something. You haven't. You've got a game to go before we talk about what your "dynasty" is going to look like, unbeknownst that we've seen this play out before. 

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

It's not the same set up. 

You're right, those contracts paid out to guys like Cooks, Gurley and Donald are going to make things tougher in the long run.

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

You prolly thought the saints got robbed too. 

They did, but that's besides the point.

14 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

And how does it "seem"that McVay manages Goff more than all the above you mentioned? 

It's been a famous tidbit that McVay is calling the audible for Goff as late as possible. It makes it look like Goff needs a bit more hand-holding than the other young QBs who don't get micromanaged like that. And that's fine, but it does cause one to wonder how good Goff would be if he weren't being coached up by one of the better offensive minds in the game - swap him out with, say, Deshaun Watson in Hou or Andy Dalton and see how it goes. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And you keep acting like you've accomplished something. You haven't. You've got a game to go before we talk about what your "dynasty" is going to look like, unbeknownst that we've seen this play out before. 

rocky_rams seems like a guy who needs to be reminded of The Greatest Show on Turf, an even more fearsome collection of offensive talent, helmed by an MVP QB, with a multiple-threat RB, and a mad-genius OC/HC that tallied all of 1 SB win. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

rocky_rams seems like a guy who needs to be reminded of The Greatest Show on Turf, an even more fearsome collection of offensive talent, helmed by an MVP QB, with a multiple-threat RB, and a mad-genius OC/HC that tallied all of 1 SB win. 

How about those two Hall of Fame guys in Miami - Don Shula and Dan Marino - who made a SB in their 2nd year, lose to the Tom Brady of that era (Joe Montana) and then spend their entire careers trying to get back...

This is a silly thread. It is silly to think he is the best QB under 30 right now. It is also equally silly to assume he couldn't develop into the best QB in the league. His yearly improvements have been incredibly encouraging so projecting where he will be at in 5 years is anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

This is a silly thread. It is silly to think he is the best QB under 30 right now. It is also equally silly to assume he couldn't develop into the best QB in the league. His yearly improvements have been incredibly encouraging so projecting where he will be at in 5 years is anyone's guess.

I'm not arguing that he can't, but it's foolish to say that he is simply because we're right now seeing someone absolutely mind blowing QB play right now - and Patrick Mahomes might be the best QB overall regardless of age. 

17 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Who's that? 

And how does it "seem"that McVay manages Goff more than all the above you mentioned? 

My guess is because the media is making a HUGE deal about McVay communicating in Goff ear up until the 15 second clock.

Its funny too because every coach has the ability to do that, Im sure coaches do that but McVay isnt afraid to admit it and the media took it and ran with it combined with the fact that Goff under Fisher looked lost. Im sure Mahomes wouldve looked  lost under Fisher as well. If anyone tell me otherwise its just wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'm not arguing that he can't, but it's foolish to say that he is simply because we're right now seeing someone absolutely mind blowing QB play right now - and Patrick Mahomes might be the best QB overall regardless of age. 

I just glanced over the responses quickly in this but I don't think anyone is saying he is the best. Mahomes had an incredible year. A better year than Goff did statistically. I wouldn't trade Goff for Mahomes. To go in to NOLA and win without any semblance of a ground game is crazy. I didn't think he was capable of that type of game without Gurley/Anderson adding much of anything. I'm not trading a young QB that has shown time and again the ability to respond to adversity. It's definitely a homer pick but that is where I'm at with him.

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

I just glanced over the responses quickly in this but I don't think anyone is saying he is the best

That's fair, I may have gotten twisted sideways with the "you take the stats, we'll take the wins" comment. 

That REALLY irked me - like, somebody needs to be reminded that the Rams were the definition of mediocre/8-8 for the better part of the decade. So, that's where my journey took me.

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

To go in to NOLA and win without any semblance of a ground game is crazy.

Nick Foles was a Alshon Jeffrey tipped pass away from doing the exact same thing... So while it's impressive, we nearly saw it last week from a high end backup QB.

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm not trading a young QB that has shown time and again the ability to respond to adversity.

And that's perfectly cool, but you'll have others ready to debate this - such as myself. Hope you don't mind. :)

9 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It's definitely a homer pick but that is where I'm at with him.

I'd be remiss if I didn't say it had SOME merit. It has merit, but it's subjective overall. 

Honestly - pound for pound, I think Trevor Lawrence is the best QB under 30. 

43 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It's been a famous tidbit that McVay is calling the audible for Goff as late as possible. It makes it look like Goff needs a bit more hand-holding than the other young QBs who don't get micromanaged like that. And that's fine, but it does cause one to wonder how good Goff would be if he weren't being coached up by one of the better offensive minds in the game - swap him out with, say, Deshaun Watson in Hou or Andy Dalton and see how it goes. 

Ok. Swap Brady with Eli Manning or Michael Vick or Drew Brees. 

That was last year. This year he does most of his own. And it’s not his fault he’s in the SB while all the other QBs are watching from the sideline  

McVay is preparing him for the long run. 

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Revisionst history at it's finest. Kaepernick was viewed as a developing passer, but a unique weapon as a runner. Harbaugh knew how to get the most out of him. A defense led by Patrick Willis didn't put up phyrric sack numbers, they actually shut teams down.

But, go ahead and keep thinking otherwise.

You're right, those contracts paid out to guys like Cooks, Gurley and Donald are going to make things tougher in the long run.

They did, but that's besides the point.

Thats all I need to know about you. No point in going back and forth 

Archived