Is Jared Goff the best young QB (under 30) in the NFL?

tyler735

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Easy there, playboy. Winning is still new in LA, this is year two of a two year winning streak. Lest we forget the Rams were pretty bad for a while. 

You could say that McVay isn't going anywhere and this will last forever - but that's what 49ers fans said when Jim Harbaugh and Colin Kaepernick were doing big things.

How'd that work out for them long term?

Pshh...we got Nick Mullens. The terrible years that followed that run was totally worth it for that. 

7 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Nobody is talking about it lasting forever. 

But you can’t deny that something special is beginning to form in LA with McVay and Goff that can last a long time (should they both stay healthy and on the same page) 

And while Harbaugh and McVay are comparable, there’s no way you can compare Captain one read to Goff

Goff is 1000x better than Kaepernick, but he's not in the discussion for top QB's under 30. It'd be Mahomes by a mile and then Baker Mayfield even before Goff for me. Goff was a spectacular QB prospect that has honestly underwhelmed me thus far in his NFL career. It's not that he's even been close to bad because he hasn't, but I thought he'd be lighting people up with ease. He has been very good but hasn't shown me enough to consider him elite. I know he's still plenty young, but he's had some straight up terrible stretches so far in his young career and hasn't proven to be remotely consistent. Also, he's got a studly supporting cast around him that isn't likely to always be this strong. I can't imagine them being able to keep Anderson, Cooks, Gurley, Woods, Everett, Higbee and Kupp together for very long. Sure he'll improve as time moves along, but I don't know if he's going to be with a group as good as he's got right now.

Yes this is a bit of a projection to say I don't think he'll have as much success as he's having right now, but I haven't been that impressed. He's clearly a very good QB, but I am not putting him in the elite QB category right now. Maybe I've only caught the bad Goff games, but every time I watch the Rams he doesn't stand out whatsoever. I don't see him making "wow" throws, but I'll admit I've only seen him play in 7-8 games so far.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Goff is 1000x better than Kaepernick, but he's not in the discussion for top QB's under 30. It'd be Mahomes by a mile and then Baker Mayfield even before Goff for me. Goff was a spectacular QB prospect that has honestly underwhelmed me thus far in his NFL career. It's not that he's even been close to bad because he hasn't, but I thought he'd be lighting people up with ease. He has been very good but hasn't shown me enough to consider him elite. I know he's still plenty young, but he's had some straight up terrible stretches so far in his young career and hasn't proven to be remotely consistent. Also, he's got a studly supporting cast around him that isn't likely to always be this strong. I can't imagine them being able to keep Anderson, Cooks, Gurley, Woods, Everett, Higbee and Kupp together for very long. Sure he'll improve as time moves along, but I don't know if he's going to be with a group as good as he's got right now.

Yes this is a bit of a projection to say I don't think he'll have as much success as he's having right now, but I haven't been that impressed. He's clearly a very good QB, but I am not putting him in the elite QB category right now. Maybe I've only caught the bad Goff games, but every time I watch the Rams he doesn't stand out whatsoever. I don't see him making "wow" throws, but I'll admit I've only seen him play in 7-8 games so far.

So Goff is not as good because he has a good supporting cast around him. And Mahomes is elite while Goff isn’t ? 

No “wow” throws? Got it.  No point in going back and forth since you haven’t been watching that many games 

39 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Nobody is talking about it lasting forever. 

Comments like "we'll take winning" paint a different picture, because it's not like this is some long-standing tradition over with the Rams. Last time that the Rams were this good, I was a freshman in college and the league was still at 31 teams, so let's not paint some picture that this is old hat for the Rams.

But you can’t deny that something special is beginning to form in LA with McVay and Goff that can last a long time (should they both stay healthy and on the same page) 

It is. You can also say the same thing with Nagy and Trubisky in Chicago, with Kitchens and Mayfield in Cleveland, with Luck and Reich in Indy - there are a few franchises out there set up for a major run, so the "special" tag isn't reserved for LA.

And while Harbaugh and McVay are comparable, there’s no way you can compare Captain one read to Goff

From a passing perspective, sure. As a runner? Which was probably Kaepernick's greatest tool?

The moral of the comparison is that even the best setups could crash at any given moment.

The biggest benefit Mahomes had was day 1 he learned from the best and thats Reid. He also got to sit behind Smith who had experience in his struggles early in SF before learning from Harbaugh, getting better then going to KC and learning more from Reid. So if there was ever the term "silver spoon" thats Mahomes. He never once had to scrape from the bottom to fight his way up since he stepped foot in the NFL. The little bit of adversity Mahomes faced this season was when he lost Hunt. How did that go? Ill tell you, (4-4) record and had homefield advantage in the playoffs but couldnt make it to the Superbowl.

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Comments like "we'll take winning" paint a different picture, because it's not like this is some long-standing tradition over with the Rams. Last time that the Rams were this good, I was a freshman in college and the league was still at 31 teams, so let's not paint some picture that this is old hat for the Rams.

It is. You can also say the same thing with Nagy and Trubisky in Chicago, with Kitchens and Mayfield in Cleveland, with Luck and Reich in Indy - there are a few franchises out there set up for a major run, so the "special" tag isn't reserved for LA.

From a passing perspective, sure. As a runner? Which was probably Kaepernick's greatest tool?

The moral of the comparison is that even the best setups could crash at any given moment.

No you can’t say that because they haven’t done it more than one year.  It’s premature to include those duos because we don’t have enough of a sample size. McVay and Goff made the super bowl in their second year. 

Til others achieve similar success, McVay and Goff look to become the standard after the departure of BB and Brady

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

No you can’t say that because they haven’t done it more than one year.  It’s premature to include those duos because we don’t have enough of a sample size. McVay and Goff made the super bowl in their second year. 

So, two is the magic number? Kind of like when Harbaugh and Kaep made the SB in year 2?

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Til others achieve similar success, McVay and Goff look to become the standard after the departure of BB and Brady

Ha, they're not even the standard in the NFC West (unless we're forgetting everything Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson have done over the past five years).

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

So, two is the magic number? Kind of like when Harbaugh and Kaep made the SB in year 2?

Ha, they're not even the standard in the NFC West (unless we're forgetting everything Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson have done over the past five years).

You can’t compare Kap to Goff as a QB. There’s no way. Goff is much better. Kap was never good 

and Wilson and Carroll had a hell of a run but Carroll is the eldest coach in the league and closer to retirement. 

McVay is a super young Top 5 coach in the NFL and Goff is one of the Top 3 younger QBs in the league. Those are two of the main pieces in building a dynasty. 

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You can’t compare Kap to Goff as a QB. There’s no way. Goff is much better. Kap was never good 

and Wilson and Carroll had a hell of a run but Carroll is the eldest coach in the league and closer to retirement. 

McVay is a super young Top 5 coach in the NFL and Goff is one of the Top 3 younger QBs in the league. Those are two of the main pieces in building a dynasty. 

5 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

You're missing the forest for the trees here. I'm not focused on Kaep vs Goff, you're right in saying Goff is better. 

What I am saying is that the 49ers looked every bit the part of a "special" team going into that time period and it collapsed in a spectacular fashion.

So, don't assume you're on the cusp of greatness when you haven't even won the SB yet.

9 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

And he just guided the worst Seahawks team in his tenure to a 10-6 record and an improbable playoff berth - without Beastmode, without the Legion of Boom.

Go ahead and discount them if you want, but they have more pelts on the wall than LA and show little signs of slowing down.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're missing the forest for the trees here. I'm not focused on Kaep vs Goff, you're right in saying Goff is better. 

What I am saying is that the 49ers looked every bit the part of a "special" team going into that time period and it collapsed in a spectacular fashion.

So, don't assume you're on the cusp of greatness when you haven't even won the SB yet.

And he just guided the worst Seahawks team in his tenure to a 10-6 record and an improbable playoff berth - without Beastmode, without the Legion of Boom.

Go ahead and discount them if you want, but they have more pelts on the wall than LA and show little signs of slowing down.

The 49ers looked special but they didn't look like a dynasty. You need a great QB for that

And you keep discounting us. You mention everything everyone else did. Dont worry about other teams. We are talking about a combo of a young top 5 HC and a top 3 young qb

It's not the same set up. 

You prolly thought the saints got robbed too. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It seems like McVay manages Goff much more than Reid manages Mahomes or Pederson manages Wentz, and Deshaun Foster seems to succeed in spite of Bill O'Brien. 

Who's that? 

And how does it "seem"that McVay manages Goff more than all the above you mentioned? 

Archived