Is God Mode Brady the most terrifying figure in sports?

Kay z

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ok.

I don't understand why this is a narrative. Clyde Drexler was a SIGNIFICANT part of that team turning up the heat once the playoffs started. I will absolutely stand on the table to say that Clyde in 94 is equal to Sampson in 86 (who I loved to death, but was starting to show effects of injuries). His shot to end the series is the stuff of legend, but Clyde was huge in 1994. Rockets don't beat the Suns without Clyde putting in 20+ a night in that series.

John Lucas was dealing with a host of demons at that time - and this is probably the driver of why I'm not high on the supporting cast. Lucas, Wiggins and Lloyd had significant issues that more or less diminish their value to me.

Clyde Drexler did not play for the 1993-94 Rockets, but keep saying that since you watched them live that you know more than everyone else.

Otis Thorpe was Hakeem's best teammate in 1994.

21 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I also want to thank every single person in this thread because I am nervous as hell about the Super Bowl and this basketball debate is taking my mind off of it. 

Not exactly how I planned on spending Saturday - calming you down or talking this much basketball - but glad to help. I think I've talked more basketball today than I have in the last few years combined.

Lotta good memories talking about Hakeem. Those days were good days. :D

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Clyde Drexler did not play for the 1993-94 Rockets, but keep saying that since you watched them live that you know more than everyone else.

Otis Thorpe was Hakeem's best teammate in 1994.

When I reference 1994, I'm talking about the 1994 season, NOT when the Finals were played.

If you're talking about the 1993-1994 team, I'd expect you to reference the season, not the time when the actual Finals were played. That's how most - if not all - people reference it. The Rams/Patriots are playing in 2019, but is anyone going to say they won the 2019 championship?

(For the record, the 1993 Rockets were a one man show).

I can't help you with basic fundamentals in discussions of time periods such as this.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not exactly how I planned on spending Saturday - calming you down or talking this much basketball - but glad to help. I think I've talked more basketball today than I have in the last few years combined.

Lotta good memories talking about Hakeem. Those days were good days. :D

Not a fan of basketball nowadays?

Just now, ET80 said:

When I reference 1994, I'm talking about the 1994 season, NOT when the Finals were played.

If you're talking about the 1993-1994 team, I'd expect you to reference the season, not the time when the actual Finals were played. That's how most - if not all - people reference it. The Rams/Patriots are playing in 2019, but is anyone going to say they won the 2019 championship?

Ummm...absolutely wrong when it comes to the NBA.  Most of the games and the playoffs take place after the new year.  That's why when people talk about the best teams of all-time, they say the 1996 Bulls or 1986 Celtics, not 1995 and 1985.

The entire regular season is played in that year for the NFL, so that makes sense.

Just now, ET80 said:

You're the only person I've seen do this, so you'll have to provide some sort of reference for me to take this into consideration.

Dude, only 28 of the Rockets' 82 regular season games were played in 1993.  Why would they consider that the 1993 season?

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Dude, only 28 of the Rockets' 82 regular season games were played in 1993.  Why would they consider that the 1993 season?

Probably because its the year when the season started....I have seen seasons referenced both ways though.

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Don't ask me why others choose to do stuff like this, I just follow that nomenclature. When talking Houston sports, I've always heard them reference this team as the 1993 Houston Rockets - not the 93-94 Rockets or the 1994 Rockets.

I get what you're saying overall, just don't hear it often here (and we talk about it a lot here in Houston).

Nonetheless, I think we're really going into the deep end of semantics. You meant the season that started in 1993, which I would agree - the '86 team WAS superior. I will say the team that started in 1994 was superior to both.

Fair?

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Don't ask me why others choose to do stuff like this, I just follow that nomenclature. When talking Houston sports, I've always heard them reference this team as the 1993 Houston Rockets - not the 93-94 Rockets or the 1994 Rockets.

I get what you're saying overall, just don't hear it often here (and we talk about it a lot here in Houston).

Nonetheless, I think we're really going into the deep end of semantics. You meant the season that started in 1993, which I would agree - the '86 team WAS superior. I will say the team that started in 1994 was superior to both.

Fair?

Then why did you refer to the 1986 Rockets as the team that made it to the Finals and not call them the 1985 Rockets?

Fair.  The 1985-86 Rockets had a better supporting cast than 1993-94, but 1994-95 was probably better.

Gosh, not to side-track this thread away from the basketball-intensive aspects, BUT, to answer the original issue, I can think of NO-ONE in all sports more terrifying than Marge Schott, former sexy owner of the Cinncinnati Reds!

Image result for Marge Schott

Football only, I would have to say either D.J. Fluker-

Image result for D.J. Fluker

Or Christian Hackenberg. Both pretty scary to me!

Image result for Christian Hackenberg

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not really, no. I'll catch a game when I can, but football and baseball dominante the landscape for me.

Same, and it's sad really bc I used to live and die with my bulls.  There was a time when the NBA really seemed like it was going to challenge the NFL in popularity.  You had all these stars on many different teams.  You had LEGIT Hornets and Blazers fans.  We knew all the players coming in bc we watched them for 3 or 4 years in college.  You had the Golden age of Bigs with Dream, the Admiral, Ewing, and Zo.  You had sharpshooters like Reggie Miller, Nick Anderson,  John Paxson.  You saw defense along with High Scoring games.  All Star weekend was an event and the biggest stars participated in the skills competition.  No other night in sports rivaled the excitement and the fandom and the spectacle of the Friday before the all star game.  And when the playoffs rolled around, it was a fight from the first game to the last.  And some of the greatest singular moments in the game.  Miller scores 3 times in 6 secs to extend the series against the Knicks.  The Jordan sick game.  Shaq and Penny beat the Bulls.  Hakeems playoff domination.  Today it's a foregone conclusion that whoever wins the west is going to win the ship.  The East is a bunch of pretenders.  Too many teams tanking (thanks Miami).  And let's be honest, outside of Lebron in LA it isn't like the biggest stars are in the biggest markets.  The game is not the same.  How anyone can say that the 90s are more watered down than this, is beyond me.

Yeah theres ZERO parity nowadays in the NBA, nobody was beating the Warriors before they added Cousins. The reffing is also the worst that's it's ever been IMO, trying to watch the Houston Rockets is very unpleasant because of how they ref Harden, I mean he's so skilled offensively already he doesn't need the refs help.

I'm a basketball guy more than a football guy but the product the NFL puts out is alot better than what the NBA puts out these days hands down.

Archived