Who is your offensive rookie of the year?

Gmen

Who is your pick for OROY?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for OROY?

• Baker Mayfield
    • Saquon Barkley

32 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

He broke both Payton and Wilson's rookie touchdown record in 3 less games, nuff said. It should be Baker and it's not even really that close, no other player meant more to there team which I believe MVP means. 

Well Baker was the most valuable rookie but not everyone will vote on that alone. Some will just go with stats. Some highlights. Gonna be a close finish I think.

50 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

He broke both Payton and Wilson's rookie touchdown record in 3 less games, nuff said. It should be Baker and it's not even really that close, no other player meant more to there team which I believe MVP means. 

I think 27 passing touchdowns in a single season would be really impressive, if it were 1970

27 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I think 27 passing touchdowns in a single season would be really impressive, if it were 1970

Yeah, if nothing else it just closes the book on Eli Manning. If a rookies mediocre season has a much higher TD percentage than you have for your career and a higher passer rating than your best year then I think any talk of you being a HOF QB is pretty ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, if nothing else it just closes the book on Eli Manning. If a rookies mediocre season has a much higher TD percentage than you have for your career and a higher passer rating than your best year then I think any talk of you being a HOF QB is pretty ridiculous.

This isn't about two time Superbowl MVP and future Hall of Fame quarterback Eli Manning.  I'm not sure why you're bringing him up.

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

This isn't about two time Superbowl MVP and future Hall of Fame quarterback Eli Manning.  I'm not sure why you're bringing him up.

Just to show how mediocre Baker's rookie season was. Sure, a higher rating than Eli's career best but c'mon, what does that say? Trent Dilfer and Flacco won championships, so did Eli. If you can't do better than a mediocre rookie QB then I don't care how many championships you win, you don't even come close to deserving to be mentioned for the HOF.

Maybe if he QB'ed in the 60s.

54 minutes ago, Gmen said:

How many rookie QBs have thrown for 27TDs in a season?

Now how many rookie RBs have eclipsed the 2000 yards from scrimmage mark? 

Baker is the only Rookie QB to do that. Barkley is what, the 3rd rookie RB to do that...Soooo

Darn...this thread has me rethinking my perspective on Eli Manning--didn't see that coming. Maybe he's not at all deserving to even be mentioned for the Hall of Fame. I mean, Tony Tomo was clearly better in the same division and it's pretty unclear if Romo will make it. Hmm. Dang.

Shoot, I gotta log off for a while--too much to think about at once.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

How many rookie QBs have thrown for 27TDs in a season?

Now how many rookie RBs have eclipsed the 2000 yards from scrimmage mark? 

Baker is the only Rookie QB to do that. Barkley is what, the 3rd rookie RB to do that...Soooo

By rookie standards, Mayfield had a great year. And that puts him at around the 15th best quarterback in the league.

Barkley had a great year by any standards. He is the best running back in the league.

If Mayfield gets OROY, just rename the award to QBROY

37 minutes ago, Gmen said:

By rookie standards, Mayfield had a great year. And that puts him at around the 15th best quarterback in the league.

Barkley had a great year by any standards. He is the best running back in the league.

I get it, he wasn't statistically a top 10 QB in the league this year so he shouldn't be OROY. If he pretty much never becomes a top 10 QB in the league he shouldn't make the HOF when his career is done either, it isn't the HOQB.

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Best RB in the league..

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c4d4ad87361706f41

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Best RB in the league..

Well let’s go over his season

- Led the league in scrimmage yards surpassing 2000. 3rd rookie to do so putting him in category with Walter Payton and Billy Simms 

- Third in the league rushing yards, with a better yards per carry than the two guys above him, Zeke and Gurley

- Led the league in broken tackles - by far. I believe James Connor was second with something like 30 fewer broken tackles

- Led running backs in 40+ yard gains, putting him in a historic category with Barry Sanders and Chris Johnson

- 15 total touchdowns 

- All behind an offensive line that is bottom 10 in the league

Sure Gurley had more touchdowns, but with CJ Anderson taking over in the playoffs, we can safely give their offensive line most of the credit.  Elliott is a great workhorse at running back, but he benefits from a great offensive line. Leveon Bell, again great offensive line in Pittsburgh.

I can’t wait for the Giants to get some maulers for Barkley. Oh the records that will fall..

Archived