2019 Bears: How will it go?

BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

Watching coaching tape of 2nd Packers game because I was thinking about how much those holds pissed me off and I am noticing Roquan Smith is a human blur.  

You can see why he was a consensus top 10 pick as an ILB.  I think his slow start to season made people forget about him some and what they saw in him in college.  He is in or around every play in first quarter so far.  

Watching a blitz and he is on Rodgers so fast its like he teleported to him.  O line had no chance to recover and block him, he is 5x as quick as an O linemen.

Fangio really needed to blitz him more.  Jacked for this guy in 2019.

When people talk Bears outside of Chicago they talk about Nagy, Fangio, Scheme, Mack, Jackson, Fuller and Cohen.  

Guys that could surprise nationally on the scene this season:

MT:  2nd year in system with nice talent on both side of ball to help him.  Played really poorly at times last year and had some poor point totals in some televised games.  Expectations outside of Chicago are low and many are assuming he is a bust.  

Roquan Smith:  A lot of people were predicting D rookie of year.  Then he had hold out and started out playing fairly poorly.  He left the national consciousness at that time.  Came on strong at end of year, but was overshadowed then by other stories.   Could become star next year he was predicted to be.  

A. Robinson:  Did not have a great year in 2018.  Part of that was injury.  Part of that was new scheme/new team.  Part of it was poor QB play.  Part of it was subpar play by him.   Still showed flashes of old talent.  Could have a major resurgence in 2019.  

Nichols:  This guy had some big plays early in season out of nowhere and earned a starting role because of them for a guy who never gives rookies much of a chance.  Had no choice with this guy.  His early play demanded it.  Hicks took him under his wing and I think that made a big difference for him.  Young guy who could gain a national rep starting next year.

J. Daniels:  Uber talent at guard who didn't start beginning of year so wasn't talked about much nationally.  Came into league at 20.  Upside is best 3-4 guard in the league. Will be a top 10 guard next year health willing.

Fitts:  This guy is a longer shot to breakout, but I include him because he showed talent in preseason and has measurables and athletic ability. Maybe he takes the jump this year and makes some splash plays.  

H.C. Dix:  First round talent on a prove deal surrounded by talent.  Everybody from former team says he sucks.  Prime candidate to shock the world and get paid.    

Shaheen: Another long shot and is largely health dependent.  In preseason camps Shaheen along with Burton was being used as focal point of offense. Team went to Denver for a week of live co-practice and Shaheen stood out by all accounts  He got hurt late in camp and came back late in season a different guy.   If we can get July early August 2018 Shaheen we have something that nobody else knows about.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, dll2000 said:

When people talk Bears outside of Chicago they talk about Nagy, Fangio, Scheme, Mack, Jackson, Fuller and Cohen.  

Guys that could surprise nationally on the scene this season:

MT:  2nd year in system with nice talent on both side of ball to help him.  Played really poorly at times last year and had some poor point totals in some televised games.  Expectations outside of Chicago are low and many are assuming he is a bust.  

He...made the Pro Bowl.

You're aware of that, right? o.O

On 3/20/2019 at 4:39 PM, Heinz D. said:

He...made the Pro Bowl.

You're aware of that, right? o.O

I'm hoping that's a copy paste from Walter football or something, bc there are some really bad takes there.  25 and 12 as a 2nd year player is not poor.  Being 4th in the league in QBR is not poor.  Everyone and their mother is talking about how GREAT Quan looked in the 2nd half of the season.  

46 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm hoping that's a copy paste from Walter football or something, bc there are some really bad takes there.  25 and 12 as a 2nd year player is not poor.  Being 4th in the league in QBR is not poor.  Everyone and their mother is talking about how GREAT Quan looked in the 2nd half of the season.  

I'm saying he is perceived as a mediocre QB by national media and fans, I'm not saying that he is a bad QB.  He has had national TV games where he did not perform well.  

Now to be honest he had some bad games IMO, but I expected that and talked about it all through.  Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson had bad games too.  

I expect him to look and play much better this year than last year.

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I'm saying he is perceived as a mediocre QB by national media and fans, I'm not saying that he is a bad QB.  He has had national TV games where he did not perform well.  

Now to be honest he had some bad games IMO, but I expected that and talked about it all through.  Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson had bad games too.  

I expect him to look and play much better this year than last year.

There is some media (Colin Cowherd) that thinks hes mediocre, but I would say the fact that he was selected to the probowl shows that's not really the perception nationally.  He was 4th in the NFC in fan voting.  So nationally fans view him pretty well. You also have PFF passing their narrative as well, but I listen to alot of sports talk and watch a lot of football shows.  I'd say from what I heard and saw perception was pretty well that he had a good year.  Yeah the Rams game was awful on Nat'l TV, but Goffs was worse and was the story.  He ended the year playing pretty damn well in his first playoff game.  It was the best first playoff game for a QB in a while at that.  

It's tough to lose Fangio and Donatell but Pagano is a good coach so I'm gonna trust that with this much talent the defense won't lose a step. 

Rookies like Smith and Nichols stood out and can only be better in 2019 and I'm liking the swap of Amos for HHCD so once again we have a Safety playing for a new contract who also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.  Staying healthy again will be important.  Can't afford to lose the top guys.

Nothing about Nagy or Trubisky says they won't also ramp up the offense in 2019.  For year one in it last year I thought we did pretty damn well with as limited as it could be and so many new moving parts catching footballs.  ARob wasn't 100% 'til late in the year, Burton was more inconsistent than we'd like to so, Gabriel wasn't being used as effectively as he could be, and we lost Miller to an injury.

Year two should be much better as we add Patterson and Wims as WRs and hopefully Shaheen stays healthy and begins to show the reason why Pace gambled on him.  The OL is intact and RB should be better as well.  The talent is there it just needs to coalesce more.

I think if Dix plays to his potential that may be sneaky best FA signing of the year.  That dude has mad talent, he just doesn't always play to it or more accurately he was asked to do very conservative things so he looked bad.  He was asked to play way back. If you have lots of green space between you and some of best athletes in world running free you can look bad sometimes or look like a 'bad tackler.'  He makes play a lot more than he doesn't. 

Difference in talent between him and Amos is night and day. Bears upgraded for cheaper. Amazing. 

I think Fangio flat out lost some games last year being too conservative.  He deserves every bit of praise he gets and overall results were amazing, but he isnt beyond criticism.  He won a lot of games last year with his plans too. More than he lost. 

We might not duplicate last year defensive performance against a much tougher  schedule, but I think Pagano will do as good a job this year as Fangio would have done in his place. 

Offense can't help but be better in 2nd year for everyone. I think O line staying healthy is key.  If we start getting Oline injuries project couod get derailed fast. 

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears Packers opening NFL season in Chicago.

Let's go.  

I love the Bears so much haha, screw the tradition of the Superbowl champions opening the season, it's the NFL's 100th birthday, it's the Bears' 100th birthday. Tradition can take a backseat, Bears are bigger.

Also this game happens to be on my birthday, please be nice NFL gods...

Sheesh, the Sports Media freaking loves OBJ. 

Browns are going to Super Bowl now.  Amazing how he didn't help Giants that much last year.

Raiders get no boost at all from A. Brown apparently.  Not sure how OBJ is so much better than Brown.

OBJ going to Cleveland is like Randy Moss going to Patriots.  Come to think of it that wasn't even hyped like this.  Moss was thought to be washed up at time.

The Browns had a 5-3 record in their last 8 games
Fired their HC midseason
Mayfield will probably take another step
they got better this offseason

They finished 3rd in their division so their schedule won't be the toughest.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Browns do what the Bears did last season.

Archived