Jump to content

2019 NFL Combine


SmittyBacall

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Yes. Great example of why is Josh Jackson last year.

I feel like Jackson's "fall" was more about his first round grades were 100% projection on who he can be eventually, since he's a converted WR who played one year of DB and doesn't tackle well.  Jackson needs a lot of technique work was something that showed up in the drills, but it was also something we already knew.

Like unless you injure yourself or you like punch a coach, I don't think it matters what you do in the on-field drills.  Anything you do well or poorly is already going to show up in games.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like Jackson's "fall" was more about his first round grades were 100% projection on who he can be eventually, since he's a converted WR who played one year of DB and doesn't tackle well.  Jackson needs a lot of technique work was something that showed up in the drills, but it was also something we already knew.

The drills exposed his hips pretty badly. he did the hip flip drill about as well as most DT's and OT's. His transition footwork was also gross.

The Packers drafted the CB with the best combine and the CB with the worst combine. Go figure the one with the great combine played well as a rook while Jackson looked like burnt toast.

Edited by Jeezla
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like Jackson's "fall" was more about his first round grades were 100% projection on who he can be eventually, since he's a converted WR who played one year of DB and doesn't tackle well.  Jackson needs a lot of technique work was something that showed up in the drills, but it was also something we already knew.

Like unless you injure yourself or you like punch a coach, I don't think it matters what you do in the on-field drills.  Anything you do well or poorly is already going to show up in games.

Not necessarily.  The Combine just reinforced what most people thought of him coming out of Iowa and that he would struggle in man coverage.  What happened this year?  He struggled in man coverage.  The Combine shouldn't present any "new" material for you.  It should reinforce what you saw when you watched the tape.  If you thought he was twitchy on tape, he should be twitchy at the Combine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

 The Combine shouldn't present any "new" material for you.  It should reinforce what you saw when you watched the tape.  If you thought he was twitchy on tape, he should be twitchy at the Combine.

But I mean, in scouting we understand the idea that sometimes guys have bad days.  Sometimes a guy is going to have a game that is much worse than an average game for whatever reason (e.g. Bosa v. Michigan in 2017, Allen vs. A&M in 2018).  We don't consider this disqualifying, it's just data.  So if I already know a guy has an issue with something, since I'm a scout and this is my job, and the issue shows up again when he's running around in shorts, I don't think it's fair or reasonable to count it twice.  Doing on-field drills in the combine is your chance to show that whatever issue you had on film is something you've corrected, but not having done that doesn't mean it's necessarily not correctable.

But if you're bad at something in the combine on-field drills, but good at it on tape?  IMO, just file that under "bad day."  It's data, but it's not disqualifying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Xavier Crawford has looked better than Bunting. Those 29" arms really bug me though.

Blace Brown might be the most disappointing CB. I had him as potential 4th round steal. Then he runs 4.75 and looks average in drills.

Edited by Jeezla
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

But I mean, in scouting we understand the idea that sometimes guys have bad days.  Sometimes a guy is going to have a game that is much worse than an average game for whatever reason (e.g. Bosa v. Michigan in 2017, Allen vs. A&M in 2018).  We don't consider this disqualifying, it's just data.  So if I already know a guy has an issue with something, since I'm a scout and this is my job, and the issue shows up again when he's running around in shorts, I don't think it's fair or reasonable to count it twice.  Doing on-field drills in the combine is your chance to show that whatever issue you had on film is something you've corrected, but not having done that doesn't mean it's necessarily not correctable.

But if you're bad at something in the combine on-field drills, but good at it on tape?  IMO, just file that under "bad day."  It's data, but it's not disqualifying.

These guys should have been prepping for the last few months.  If they have a "bad day" at the Combine, that's a red flag for me.  If your guy goes into the draft and most think he's an explosive athlete and he tests poorly, what do you take away from that?  Unless there's some sort of underlying issue (sickness, etc.), he didn't come prepared for the biggest interview of his life.  That's a major red flag for me.  He's got one more chance (Pro Day) to correct that issue.   When you're watching the players' tape, you're looking at 5-6 games of his minimum especially if it's someone you're looking at drafting relatively early.  You should have a pretty good idea what kind of athlete that player is.  There really shouldn't be more than a handful of surprises from the Combine.  The Combine should just reaffirm what you saw on tape.  You're not counting it twice, you're just solidifying an opinion on him.  We will use Josh Jackson as an example.  Watching him at Iowa, he was a natural off-man CB.  You put him in a zone scheme where he has one eye in the opposing backfield and the other on a WR, he's a natural fit.  And based purely on that, you could have argued he was a Day 1 pick.  But you line him up in man coverage, and he struggled badly.  Josh Jackson finished in the 24th percentile for 40 yard dash and his 3-cone was 62nd percentile.  Compare that to Jaire who was in the 89th percentile in 40 yard dash and 86th percentile in 3-cone.  There's a reason why Jaire was viewed as the more natural man-coverage CB.  The Combine just confirmed what you thought you saw on his tape with Iowa.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like the structure of the combine is sort of inherently exculpatory (spend 3 days super busy, staying up late and getting up early, *then* work out).  It's not like there's a better way to do this but it's not exactly putting guys in a position to succeed.  But I don't think anything of value would be lost if we just stopped doing on-field drills at the combine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rough Top 20 CB's

1A Greedy

1B Murphy

1C Baker

4 Long

5 Mullen

6 Oruwariye

7 Ya-Sin

8 Dean?

9 L Johnson

10 Love

11 Layne/JoeJuan

13 Smith

14 I Johnson

15 Ballentine

16 Crawford/Fields

18 Bunting/J Brown/Boyd

 

Can't wait til we get 3-cones for all of them. 

 

Edited by Jeezla
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...