Why will we never see another Patriots dynasty again? Salary cap?

Championshiporbust

On 2/4/2019 at 5:06 AM, Bearerofnews said:

NFL will be around until the end of time. NFL will never not be.

I wish that, but global climate won't be pretty.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:11 AM, Pugger said:

Under Chuck Noll the Steelers were THE dominate team for a stretch and that franchise won 6 rings with different HCs since 1972.  The 49ers of the 80s ad 90s dominated too with successive HCs.  For 22 seasons the 49ers missed the playoffs only 4 times and won 5 SBs.  Yes, you have one more trophy than SF but the 49ers dominated the league back then just like your team is doing today.  

Thing is you had more concentration at the top. Since 2001 the most seasons without Patriots in the Super Bowl has been 3, from 08-10 and never more than 2 elsewhere. That's insane. For reference on the 49ers since their first in 81 you had intervals of 4 and 3 in less time. The Steelers are just not apt here given the many mediocre seasons they had outside the 4 in 6. Their second big stint was 2004-2010 but that's still "only" 3 appearances in 7 years with 2 yielding titles. Neither example is truly comparable to the Patriots when you throw in the percentage of turnover. I mean, the NFC basically had 49ers-Skins-Boys-Bears-Giants-Eagles with some surprise seasons by teams like Saints-Rams. Nowadays you can have 4-5 team turnovers.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:34 AM, NJerseypaint said:

I think people are discounting how QBs are staying in the game much longer than they were in the 70s, 80s, and even 90s. Medical science is on a whole other level and I wouldn't be surprised if having your franchise QB playing past 40 becomes the norm.

On the one hand the branding impact is there, but on the other hand the business model has expedited would be franchise players. Eli Manning is a big exception to this but then he got a lot of clout from 2007-2011 runs, name and NY suffering in 2/4 sports markets. You're more likely to see top level talent switch 2 if not 3 times during their prime years. Now yes QBs are different but the Brady-Brees-Rodgers exemptions are rare. So while a QB can get playing time at 40 it might not be for contending teams.

This dynasty occurred IN the cap era so I don't know what you're on about. 

This is the most dominant 18 year stretch we've ever seen, not even when the league was half the size was there a team this dominant for such a long stretch. So it's safe to say we probably won't see it again, even if you pair up an all time great football mind with an all time great QB, you need a lot of other things to go right to achieve this kind of success.

It's worth noting the 1981-1998 49ers' stretch is very comparable, and I'm sure people didn't expect to see another run like that. A mere 3 years later this Pats dynasty forms, so who knows.

I think that what the Pats have been able to accomplish has required such a perfect storm that it will most likely never happen again in the salary-cap era.

To accomplish what the Pats have accomplished it has required the following factors:

- A head coach that is just so far and away better than any of his contemporaries

- An elite QB who sustains almost two decades of quality play and is willing to play for less than he could probably get due to having a wife who makes more than any NFL player could.

- An owner who is both passionate about winning and whose ego doesn't get in the way of accomplishing so

- A division that consists of 3 poorly ran teams (I personally think people overrate this factor a little too much, but it is a factor.)

- Having a massive HFA come playoff time, something that is increasingly rare these days with a lot of teams going to indoor dome stadiums.

We may see a team win 3 SB's in a 4/5 year span again, but it would be from having a stacked roster with an MVP caliber QB on a rookie contract behind it, and that team would quickly dissolve after the fact due to cap restrictions.

We will never see a team average 12-4 over an 18 year span while winning 6 SB's, going to 9 as well as 13 AFC/NFC Championship games ever again. What the Patriots have done is just too incredibly rare and difficult to expect to happen again in this era of football.

13 minutes ago, CKS97 said:

They'd have TWO rings at most in the NFC

This is so wrong for so many reasons. I'm not even sure where to start, but I'll give it a go.

- The AFC was the superior conference BY FAR when the Patriots won their first 3 Super Bowl's

- If the Patriots were in the NFC, they would presumably be in the NFC East. They still win this division in almost every season from 2003 - present.

- The Patriots are 6-3 against the NFC in the Super Bowl, and 57-15 against the NFC (regular season) since 2001.

People have this illusion that the NFC has been the better conference because it's been more competitive and there has been more parity within the conference, but it's simply not true. The AFC has been the much better conference the last 20 years.

Agree, it could happen again....The Patriots are successful due largely to the legacy of the franchise and it's coach.....This draws free agents to their organization who are wanting a chance at a ring ..... Not impossible for a future coach to do the same....Likely won't be in my lifetime though....

2 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Agree, it could happen again....The Patriots are successful due largely to the legacy of the franchise and it's coach.....This draws free agents to their organization who are wanting a chance at a ring ..... Not impossible for a future coach to do the same....Likely won't be in my lifetime though....

The Patriots really aren't a team that is gobbling up top free agents for top dollar.

Besides 2007, has there ever really been a Pats team that was viewed as the most talented in the NFL?

That's more of the model that the Broncos were using earlier in the decade, and it did work in that it got them a ring and sustained success for 5 seasons.

But it's not what causes a 20 year run like this.

8 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Where did I mention they did?....You assume FA automatically means high salaries.....Besides, if the Patriots had to rebuild every year through the draft, they would likely falter like a lot of franchises who are no longer relevant.....

Sorry I didn't mean top dollar, I just meant the Pats typically aren't bringing in top FA's that would command top dollar for cheaper. It's happened, but it's not the recipe for their success. 

That's what the Broncos were doing earlier in the decade, It's a large reason of how that defense was so good in 2015.

What the Patriots do that is very different from most other franchises is that they will take players like Welker, Edelman, Butler, etc and perfectly utilize their skillset.

They will often find former Pro-Bowlers who are believed to be washed up and make them Pro-Bowlers again (Moss, Rodney Harrisson, Correy Dillon)

They will sometimes just add a pro-bowler to their roster via trade/FA (Cooks, Revis) but it's not something that they do more often than any other franchise does.

It really just comes down to Belichick being such a great football mind and being able to perfectly utilize the skillsets of all 53 players on his roster. The Patriots have almost never been the most talented team, they don't win by being the most talented.

In playoff, good defense will take away your best weapons, even bad defenses in regular seasons may play at high level in playoff.

With salary cap, you won't be able to win 3 SB in 5 years  if your QB doesn't have the skill sets to turn average WR into playmakers.

The reason a short receiver is average is not that he can't get open, is that he can't get open long enough for his QB. Lot of short n slow receivers can change directions suddenly and get open, it is that if his QB can throw the ball to him within the very short throwing windows.

If it was all about coaches making designs, every team would have 20+ OC and  the play books in NFL would be like law books.

It is ignorant to think a QB with great physical ability couldve wouldve with Belichick, as those short n slow WR don't even run downfields. Even if it is Belichick's masterful schemes, what can physical ability play a role in implementing the schemes? 

To pull the system B S is like declaring "Earth must be flat, because I can't see it is round".

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I think that what the Pats have been able to accomplish has required such a perfect storm that it will most likely never happen again in the salary-cap era.

To accomplish what the Pats have accomplished it has required the following factors:

- A head coach that is just so far and away better than any of his contemporaries

- An elite QB who sustains almost two decades of quality play and is willing to play for less than he could probably get due to having a wife who makes more than any NFL player could.

- An owner who is both passionate about winning and whose ego doesn't get in the way of accomplishing so

- A division that consists of 3 poorly ran teams (I personally think people overrate this factor a little too much, but it is a factor.)

- Having a massive HFA come playoff time, something that is increasingly rare these days with a lot of teams going to indoor dome stadiums.

We may see a team win 3 SB's in a 4/5 year span again, but it would be from having a stacked roster with an MVP caliber QB on a rookie contract behind it, and that team would quickly dissolve after the fact due to cap restrictions.

We will never see a team average 12-4 over an 18 year span while winning 6 SB's, going to 9 as well as 13 AFC/NFC Championship games ever again. What the Patriots have done is just too incredibly rare and difficult to expect to happen again in this era of football.

this is an excellent post

dont forget that belichick is also one of the best GM’s in the entire league too... look at just how good the moves for danny shelton and stephen gilmore look now

11 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

this is an excellent post

dont forget that belichick is also one of the best GM’s in the entire league too... look at just how good the moves for danny shelton and stephen gilmore look now

LOL, that guy doesn't even know the necessary condition for a team to become a dynasty.

Do you know what necessary condition is?

For example, being a man is a necessary condition for a person to be a father. Without "he is a man", you don't even have to think about "Is he a father?".

That guy is talking about "how to turn a man to a father".

Archived