49ers to release Ahmad Brooks

48 1/2ers

Guess we have a winner at the SAM spot. I really thought he was somehow going to make it through that entire contract lol. But good for him if he can latch on with a true contender. He still has a little something in the tank and fairly competent and can start somewhere. New England seems like a good landing spot. 

Overall, can't say that I can complain about his tenure here. Yes, we laugh at the one a game offside penalty. Yes, there was some attitude issues at times, but he's largely been a productive player for his entire tenure, and I don't think that we can regret his time here, even at his contract. He was remarkably underrated his first few years with us, and still okay at the end. I don't think that you can ask for more than that. 

Brooks had his flaws. Still I think he was a solid all-adound LB and probably a bit underappreciated.  I'm happy to go with the younger guy.  I wish we could have agreed to eat some of his salary and traded him to another team.  In affect that would amount to buying a draft pick, and I think we've got the cash to be able to do that.

He was a very good player for a long time, but I think it was a bit overdue. Not that his performance was hurting us, but I think we could have been better served grooming younger players and eliminating some of his sideline drama. He was both underrated and overrated, in my opinion. League-wide, he was mostly ignored, while he was a pretty good player. But to others, those who feel he was vastly underrated to the point of overrating him, we're still just talking about a guy who could be invisible for games at a time, if not for his offsides. I feel like he was a beast for one game every year, and the rest of the time, he was just an okay, solid player, who you didn't really have to worry about. 

Again, I don't think it's his performance the problem, and not the reason why he's being released. If we were still running a 3-4, I think he would have finished his contract. The move to a new scheme really put his spot in question from the get-go, in my opinion. Maybe five years ago, but I'm thinking we'll be fielding a faster defense this year, and Brooks doesn't really fit the bill. 

He's guaranteed to find work elsewhere, and I'm sure he'll have a decent impact. Good luck to him.

I'm still not sold on Eli Harold's potential as a starter so thats the one question I have with this move. I wonder if Ray Ray Armstrong or Dekoda Watson have a chance at being that 3rd backer on the field in certain defensive sets. Still plenty of snaps to evaluate who's the man on downs where we aren't in nickel D. 

12 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm still not sold on Eli Harold's potential as a starter so thats the one question I have with this move. I wonder if Ray Ray Armstrong or Dekoda Watson have a chance at being that 3rd backer on the field in certain defensive sets. Still plenty of snaps to evaluate who's the man on downs where we aren't in nickel D. 

Yeah, but we're working towards the future and he wasn't going to be here long anyway.  And like someone just said it makes room for Pita and I"d rather hope he works out than that we keep Brooks for another year or two and lose any chance that Pita would turn into something.

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good thing about this move is it all but locks up a spot for Pita. I thought if we cut him there was a chance some other team would have claimed him. He's the intriguing type of player we need to keep. 

Would have thought this better for Watson. You think we keep both?

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Would have thought this better for Watson. You think we keep both?

Think it definitely means Watson is making the 53. Pita is still the question mark though. Pita is being groomed as the Leo to replace Dummervil. They have been giving him some looks at SAM to explore his versatility but his primary position is as a nickel pass-rusher for now so it will be interesting if he makes it and where he might see snaps if his number is called. 

Brooks in the Harbaugh years always seemed to be on the end of a big game changing play when the entire team got rolling. Good linebacker that didn't miss games, got his fair share of pressure on the QB, and wasn't a huge liability in both run defense and pass defense. Time to move on though. 

I don't really see this move as having any impact on Pita, but rather means Watson, Coyle, and Harold all make it. If Dumervil or Lynch are cut, it means something for Pita. 

Don't really think he's someone we'd need to be worried about if he's cut. I think he'd pretty easily make the practice squad. Through two preseason games, anyway.

45 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't really see this move as having any impact on Pita, but rather means Watson, Coyle, and Harold all make it. If Dumervil or Lynch are cut, it means something for Pita. 

Don't really think he's someone we'd need to be worried about if he's cut. I think he'd pretty easily make the practice squad. Through two preseason games, anyway.

This was kind of my thinking into the release of Brooks. I saw it as a guarantee now that Watson was going to make it. At LEO I think we keep two there as well with Dumervil and Lynch being the main passing down guys and Armstead manning the spot on running/base downs. Pita in my mind has always been destined for the PS unless he blew the doors off during preseason. He hasn't looked terrible by any means but I'm not sure he's drawn enough attention to himself to be plucked off waivers. He's still a very raw prospect, more athlete than pass rusher right now.

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

This was kind of my thinking into the release of Brooks. I saw it as a guarantee now that Watson was going to make it. At LEO I think we keep two there as well with Dumervil and Lynch being the main passing down guys and Armstead manning the spot on running/base downs. Pita in my mind has always been destined for the PS unless he blew the doors off during preseason. He hasn't looked terrible by any means but I'm not sure he's drawn enough attention to himself to be plucked off waivers. He's still a very raw prospect, more athlete than pass rusher right now.

I agree, good insight...

13 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Well said. This was my thinking as well. 

Archived