Sweet FA - what I'm hoping for

Brit Pack

Not looked into the draft yet but I have been spending some time getting into potential free agent signings that I feel we need and could get. I'm not of the school of thought of buying star players in FA, I feel you need to draft, develop and retain those kind of players. FA is about plugging roster holes and not expecting or trying to get rookies to fill those roles. It's more about overall roster depth. The biggest holes we have are on defence. While edge get talked about a lot, I feel the safety position is even worse. With the edge we have Perry and Fackrell. With the safeties who we got, Brice, maybe Williams?

By filling the holes on the defence it allows for us to actually go hard on offence for once in a draft. Yes, we probably want to get an edge rusher as the FA picking are pretty slim, and we might want a DL and safety as well. But we can start to address our Oline in the draft, get a good TE to develop, and maybe another stud WR that will mature out in a few seasons.

So here goes:

Preston Smith, OLB,  265lbs, 26 years old, 4 year player, averages 6 sacks per season, in 2017 had the highest successful pass percentage in the whole NFL, 76.9 PFF
Give the man a 3 year $22.5m contract, average per year $7.5m with $10.5m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = $4.8m. Same contract that was given this past offseason to another former Redskin Trent Murphy who went to the Bills.

Benson Mayowa , OLB, 265lbs,  27 years old,  been in the league 6 years, had 4 sacks and 4 PDef, 1 FF last season. 73.3 PFF
Give the man a 2 year $5.5m contract, average per year $ 2.75m, $2.95m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = $2,75m. Same contract that was given by the Bears to Sam Acho

Jordan Hicks, ILB,  236lbs, 26 years old, had 3 sacks and 5 PDef last year. 80.7 PFF 
Give the man a 3 year $22.5m contract, average per year $7.5m a year, $16m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = $6m. Same contract given by the Jets to  Avery Williamson last season.

Adrian Amos, SS,  215lbs, 25 years old, 4 year player, had a 1 sack and 2 Ints lasts season. 82.7 PFF
Give the man a 5 year $30m contract, average per year $6.1m, $14m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = 4m. Same contract the Bills gave to our very own Micah Hyde

Anthony Harris, FS,  202lbs, 27 years old, 4 year player, last year started 9 games, had 3 Ints. 89 PFF
Give the man a 5 year $30m contract, average per year $6.1m, $14m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = 4m. Same contract the Bills gave to our very own Michah Hyde

Mike Person, G, 300lbs, 30 years old, been in in the league 8 years, was in Atlanta when MLF was there and played pretty good by all accounts in San Fran last season, so our OL coach will know him well. 67.2 PFF
Give the man a 3 year $8m, average $2.6m, $3.5m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = $1.4m. Same contract the Eagles gave Stefan Wisniewski 

Cole Beasley, WR, 180lbs, 29 years old, played 9 seasons for the Boys, good little nifty slot receiver, had 672 yards last season. 74.6 PFF  
Give the man a 3 year $13.5m contract, average per year $4.5m, $6.3m guaranteed, cap hit year 1 = $2.6m. Same contract Jermaine Kearse got.

Along with these guys I would cut Perry and T. Williams and look to retain Breeland.

The cap cost for this bag of shopping would be $19.95m in 2019

Interesting.

Really like Smith, Hicks, Amos and Harris.  EDGE...check.  Two safeties to lock it down?....check.  Hicks?  I'd love to pair Martinez with another good ILB.

Lukewarm on the rest.  Not sure if they are any better than what we currently have on the roster.

Beasley wise....I'd pass.  I honestly feel like Moore/MVS/ESB bring more to the table than he does.  If he is on our roster, I hope it is well after those first few waves of free agency are over and he becomes a better bargain.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Interesting.

Really like Smith, Hicks, Amos and Harris.  EDGE...check.  Two safeties to lock it down?....check.  Hicks?  I'd love to pair Martinez with another good ILB.

Lukewarm on the rest.  Not sure if they are any better than what we currently have on the roster.

Beasley wise....I'd pass.  I honestly feel like Moore/MVS/ESB bring more to the table than he does.  If he is on our roster, I hope it is well after those first few waves of free agency are over and he becomes a better bargain.

The argument for Beasley is the same argument for Cobb.  It is a body type that we don't have.  Aside from Davante Adams, Trevor Davis, and Teo Redding, all of our WRs are at least 6'3 and 200+ lbs.  Do we need a smaller, shiftier type player? I don't know.  But it is definitely something we lack.

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The argument for Beasley is the same argument for Cobb.  It is a body type that we don't have.  Aside from Davante Adams, Trevor Davis, and Teo Redding, all of our WRs are at least 6'3 and 200+ lbs.  Do we need a smaller, shiftier type player? I don't know.  But it is definitely something we lack.

I think he is too small.  I get the body type thing...and having a "different" one, but I think the draft has lots of guys who will fit that mold.

Then again...despite the frame, I think that ESB and Kumerow have good chances at being very good slot guys, too.

I think WR is a luxury to get from FA not a need. Same with a FA running back. The thing with the WR spot is I just would like some veteran in there and Beasley seemed the best of the 'affordable' bunch, to add with the size and the fact whenever I watched him he seems like a perfect outlet player.

The contract offers would have to be adjusted by percentage from the year they were signed to the equivalent percentage of the new cap numbers.  You could offer those numbers to the individuals you listed and hope you could get a couple, but it seems like there is almost too many teams with stupid money to spend this year.  I too would pass on Beasley, just doesn't seem to be physical enough to be an everydown player and that's too much money for a bench/ST guy.

Okay...I don't know where this is going, but...  Here are Beasley's last 3 seasons worth of production...basically as a starter in that Cowboy offense.

2018, 65 catches, 672 yards.  3 TDs. 16 games.

2017, 36 catches, 314 yards.  4 TDs.  15 games.

2016, 75 catches, 833 yards.  5 TDs.  16 games.

That comes to about 60 catches (16 games), 619 yards.  4 TDs.  On an average of those 3 years.

Per game?  3.7 catches, 39 yards.

Here was MVS last year...

2018, 38 catches, 581 yards.  2 TDs.  16 games.

Average per game? 2.3 catches, 36 yards.

Here was ESB last year...

2018, 21 catches, 328 yards, 0 TDs.  12 games.

Average per game?  1.75 catches, 20.5 yards.

I'm just not convinced that our young kids can't produce Beasley numbers, or better, in year 2.

If this team wants a better offense, I don't think Beasley is the answer.  Development of the young WR's is...and maybe the development of another WR is....

All WR's will be in a newer system.  I think there is more ability and a lot more upside with our own guys.  Again...thinking that ESB has slot ability.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Again...thinking that ESB has slot ability.

I'll be curious to see if there is a change in philosophy under MLF. GB under MM was going towards " Big Men running down the middle of the field" and away from the little slot guys like Cobb.

We'll see what MLF thinks soon enough, but I think ESB is the 2019 slot in GB and Adams got a fair amount of snaps there too

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'll be curious to see if there is a change in philosophy under MLF. GB under MM was going towards " Big Men running down the middle of the field" and away from the little slot guys like Cobb.

We'll see what MLF thinks soon enough, but I think ESB is the 2019 slot in GB and Adams got a fair amount of snaps there too

I loved how they moved Davante around.  He works well anywhere.

I was skeptical about ESB in the slot, but he showed plenty there.  Kumerow, I think, has some slot in him as well.

I think our young kids can handle the slot...and I'll bet you can find a "Cole Beasley" type player in the draft in later rounds if you really wanted one.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Okay...I don't know where this is going, but...  Here are Beasley's last 3 seasons worth of production...basically as a starter in that Cowboy offense.

2018, 65 catches, 672 yards.  3 TDs. 16 games.

2017, 36 catches, 314 yards.  4 TDs.  15 games.

2016, 75 catches, 833 yards.  5 TDs.  16 games.

That comes to about 60 catches (16 games), 619 yards.  4 TDs.  On an average of those 3 years.

Per game?  3.7 catches, 39 yards.

Here was MVS last year...

2018, 38 catches, 581 yards.  2 TDs.  16 games.

Average per game? 2.3 catches, 36 yards.

Here was ESB last year...

2018, 21 catches, 328 yards, 0 TDs.  12 games.

Average per game?  1.75 catches, 20.5 yards.

I'm just not convinced that our young kids can't produce Beasley numbers, or better, in year 2.

If this team wants a better offense, I don't think Beasley is the answer.  Development of the young WR's is...and maybe the development of another WR is....

All WR's will be in a newer system.  I think there is more ability and a lot more upside with our own guys.  Again...thinking that ESB has slot ability.

Looks like the raw stats might support that, not sure that the comparison between the offenses and pass completions/attempts would mean that MVS/SB should have had more production than Beasley

2018   GB 392 completions on 640 attempts

Dallas 356 on 527 attempts

2017  GB 352 on 562 attempts

Dallas 309 on 493 attempts

2016 403 on 620 attempts

Dallas 325 on 483 attempts

17 minutes ago, Hands said:

That's a lot of FAs.....I just can't see that happening. I could see maybe three guys; Smith, Harris, and Beasley but that would be crazy in itself.

I find we have so many holes on defence. Daniels is our only veteran player (apart from Williams who probably should get cut) after Daniels the next player who takes on any significant cap charge is Clark who is still on a rookie contract. This year we have cap space and we have need of veteran defensive players, to simply insert more rookies in and expect our defence to get better is madness. We need desperately some veteran help in there to round out our roster. I really hope they spend that dough on some players. I mean our safeties are non-existent and to think we are going to find two starters in the draft is wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Looks like the raw stats might support that, not sure that the comparison between the offenses and pass completions/attempts would mean that MVS/SB should have had more production than Beasley

2018   GB 392 completions on 640 attempts

Dallas 356 on 527 attempts

2017  GB 352 on 562 attempts

Dallas 309 on 493 attempts

2016 403 on 620 attempts

Dallas 325 on 483 attempts

Yah, I wasn't sure where I was going...and I cherry picked Beasley's most productive years to show that he isn't much of a difference maker.

Compared it to a very small sample size of first year WR's in GB.  Not a huge difference there.

Where there is a difference?  Age.  I think the kids have a ceiling.  I think we've seen Beasley's ceiling and it isn't anything special...or even that good.

I made the point about the offense, because in a way, Beasley coming in as a new WR...and kids being in year two is kind of a mute point if there is a new offense going in.  All will be on the same learning curve.  Nod to Beasley for "vets knowledge", though.

Archived