Leisher's 2019 Mock Draft 2-7-19. Fixing the OL and running game.

jleisher

As I stated in the title, the scenario is fixing the OL and running game.  Don't go getting all ticked off and have a hissy fit.  For this mock, I used Matt Miller's big board dated 2-6-19, Mr. Miller is well respected and seems to know his stuff.  So, if a player isn't in the position you think he should be drafted, give Matt a call.  With that said, I hope you could live with this mock if it was for realllzzzeee!

2019 Cap Space:  $30,000,000   (I know it's more then that, so don't tell me it's wrong.)  :D

#53 - LB <forge-entity title="Nick Perry" slug="nick-perry" code="player">Nick Perry</forge-entity>Nick Perry Edge.  As unrealistic as it might be, I think the Packers could trade Perry.  When healthy, that's a big when, he can be productive.  So, in the mock, the Packers find someone to give Perry a fresh start in life and only give up a 2020 6th round pick.  Could be a win win for both teams.  Cap saved $14,437,500.

New Cap Space after trade:  $44,437,500

Resigns:

#26 - CB Bashaud BreelandBashaud Breeland CB  (Seems to be a fan favorite and sounds like his teammates like him as well.  3yrs/$18m  Cap hit 2019 $5m.)

#45 - FB Danny VitaleDan Vitale FB  (Cheap resign that fills a need.  2yrs/$1.8m  Cap hit 2019 $900,000)

#39 - S Ibraheim CampbellIbraheim Campbell S  (Again, another cheap resign that showed some plus side.  1yr/$1m)

#84 - TE <forge-entity title="Lance Kendricks" slug="lance-kendricks" code="player">Lance Kendricks</forge-entity>Lance Kendricks TE  (Fits the new look TE mold for Packers, can catch and block.  2yrs/ $7m Cap hit 2019 $3m)  

Totally Cap hit for resigns:  $9,900,000

New Cap for 2019:  $34,537,500

Free Agents:

Trey Flowers.Trey Flowers DE NE  (Here's the big fish for the Packers.  Daniels-Clark-Flowers as our new front 3, I like it.  4yrs/$66m Cap hit 2019 $15m)  (Yes, I know this might not happen, so again.:D

harold_headshotEli Harold Edge Lions  (Young player that still has some upside.  3yrs/$15m Cap hit 2019 $4m)

Ward, JimmieJimmie Ward S 49ers  (Second tier free agent that can come in and fill a need.  2yrs/$8m  Cap hit 2019 $3m)

Total Cap hits for free agents:  $22,000,000

New Cap for 2019:  $12,537,500  (Plus the other $4,166,842)  $16,704,342  (Move to play with.)

Surprise, surprise, no cuts in this mock.  You can let your imagination run wild if you wish.  

2019 Draft:

#12.   

T.J. Hockenson NFL

Scouting Report: T.J. Hockenson

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Iowa Position: Tight End Class: Sophomore Height: 6-5 Weight: 245 Projected Draft Round: 1-3

Scouting Report:

One of the best, if not the best run blocking tight end prospect. Sets his feet quickly, and doesn’t lose balance when shuffling right to left back or forward while blocking. Gets his hands locked and is relentless with his blocking assignment through the whistle. Able to find defenders to block at the next level in space as well, and takes good angles to seal off running lanes. As the season progressed, showed off remarkable ability to catch the ball as well, making him one of the most well rounded tight end prospects in the draft.  (We might need to decide whether TE or Edge is the #1 need.  For this mock, T.J fits.  Some might say it's to early for him, but there's a good chance we won't be there at #30.  I've even seen a mock that had the Lions taking him at #8.  Most everyone seems to think he's the answer, so we take him at #12 or lose out.)

#30.  NE calls and wants to move up.  Offers #32 and #73 for #30.  A player Gute's is eyeing up is falling down the board, plus they get an extra 3rd rd pick.  Don't care if it makes sense or not, that's the trade I was offered and I liked the value for the Packers.  I am sure Gute wouldn't be telling NE, No, this doesn't make sense for you, no deal.

#32.  Jachai Polite NFL

Scouting Report: Jachai Polite

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Florida Position: Defensive End / Outside Linebacker Class: Junior Height: 6-2 Weight: 260 Projected Draft Round: 4-6

Scouting Report:

Explosive first step off the edge, and able to quickly get outside leverage on tackles that aren’t proficient in containing elite edge pressure. Doesn’t appear to play with consistent effort, teams will need to determine if that is concentration or energy. Not a power rusher at this point, but has shown the ability to fool opponents into getting off balance and able to gain an advantage with the tackle out of position. Not as long as many teams would like for their every down edge rusher, but could find a place as a positional pass rusher coming off the edge as a DE or OLB.  (I am not sold on the guy, but most of you are.  Fits the Packers need at edge.  Some mocks have him falling into the 2nd rd.)

#44.  Nasir Adderley NFL

Scouting Report: Nasir Adderley

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Delaware Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 5-11 Weight: 200 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Profoundly well rounded defensive back that excels in all major skills needed to play the safety position at the next level. Covers the deep field well, and is able to recognize plays quickly and get to the receiver decisively and by taking sound angles. Ferocious tackler and gets off of blocks with authority getting to the ball carrier. Has shown no weakness in covering either small, shifty receivers or big bodied tight ends and bigger receivers.  (Some mocks have him going in rd #1 and some have him falling into the 3rd rd, so at #44 seems to be possible.  Again, another forum favorite, so this mock should be 3 for 3 so far.)

#73.  

Michael Deiter NFL

Scouting Report: Michael Deiter

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Wisconsin Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-6 Weight: 321 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Experienced at all offensive line positions, versatile, but built and plays like a guard that can dominate in smaller spaces. For a bigger guard, has active feet that he uses to keep defenders moving where he wants them to go. Agile enough to pull and get to the next level quickly as well. Very good hand usage that locks up defenders as he uses his powerful base to gain leverage. Can play in any offensive line system.  (Here we go with the rebuilding of the OL's depth.  Could push for starting RG spot from day one.  Adds depth as all 5 positions.)

#75.  david-edwards-wisconsin.jpeg?zoom=0.9024

Scouting Report: David Edwards

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: David Edwards Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Junior Height: 6-7 Weight: 315 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

Big, strong, and plays well in pass protection and against the run. Most of his experience is at RT and that’s likely where he will play at the next level. Long arms that NFL coaches covet on the offensive line and elite hands. Has the strength to move defenders off the line. Has a balanced approach which helps him avoid missed blocks and is also a very effective 2nd level blocker.  (Yes, back to back Badgers!  Again, adds depth and future starter at RT.  Another player that seems to bounce into later rds in mocks.)

#114.  Elijah Holyfield NFL

Scouting Report: Elijah Holyfield

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Georgia Position: Running Back Class: Junior Height: 5-10 Weight: 220 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Powerfully built running back with a nice combination of athleticism and pure strength. Very agile for his frame, especially with jump cuts. Excellent vision and patient. Will wait for the right hole to open and has very good acceleration once he puts his foot in the grass and makes a decision to burst. Has shown some improvement in the passing game, but hasn’t been asked to do much in that regard. Has the build to be an asset in pass pro, but needs to work on technique.  (Some of you think drafting a RB is a waste, but, you might want to sit for this, your wrong.  Packers need another RB, Jones has had how many knee issues?  Getting a solid RB at low cost without going into the free agent market. Can't lie, I do like Josh Jacobs more, but some would have a cow if I drafted him in rds 1 or 2.)

#118.  Khalil Hodge NFL

Scouting Report: Khalil Hodge

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Buffalo Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-1 Weight: 235 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Fast off the ball linebacker with excellent strength to disengage blockers to get to the play. Able to read and diagnose run vs. pass, and isn’t easily fooled with options and play action, where many linebackers will take fall steps and get out of position. Is able to either avoid blockers with his quickness, or stack them up and toss them aside by making them off balance. Controls his gaps, and is a sound tackler, wrapping up with efficiency. Able to cover running backs and tight ends which is paramount for inside linebackers in most NFL schemes.  (Seems to be another player that rollercoasters the big boards, at #118 seems to be fair.  Yah, ILB isn't a need.  Again, wrong.  Need someone to team with Martinez, Hodge seems to be that guy in the mid rounds.  You have Polite, Hodge, Martinez, Harold, Burks and Fackrell, looks better to me already.)

#151.  Penny Hart NFL

Scouting Report: Penny Hart

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Georgia State Position: Wide Receiver Class: Junior Height: 5’8 Weight: 180 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Jitterbug slot receiver, with elite change of direction agility and speed in the open field. Excels in quick routes near the line of scrimmage, where is quick feet, along with ability to pivot and accelerate, allows him to create separation in the slot and criss crossing the field. Offenses in the NFL now have many other creative plays behind the line of scrimmage where he will be heavily involved. Proficient as a punt/kick returner.  (Fills the gap for Cobb, and offers ST bonus.)

#187.  

Renell Wren NFL

Scouting Report: Renell Wren

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Arizona State Position: Defensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6’4 Weight: 315 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Tall, with good length, and a powerful build, Wren looks the part of a 2 gapping defensive tackle, but has the explosion of much smaller DT’s. Before the Senior Bowl, teams might have been looking to add more bulk to his big frame and use him as a nose in a 3-4, but he has shown so much explosion that his draft is soaring. Superior burst off of the snap, and has a lot of room for growth if he can learn to use his hands and arms better to get through gaps.  (We added depth to the OL, so let add to the DLine.  Another rollercoaster player in the big boards.)

#196.  Keegan Render NFL

Scouting Report: Keegan Render

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Iowa Position: Center/Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-3 Weight: 307 Projected Draft Round: 5-7

Scouting Report:

Excellent football smarts, and position versatile, having played guard before converting to center in 2018. Ideal height and body build for a center, can hold his own against powerful defensive tackles. Experienced in a pro style system, doesn’t need to adapt at the next level. Doesn’t take false steps, as he quickly gets set and maintains his anchors. Technique sound, especially with getting his hands in and under quickly.  (OLine depth, we add three players from schools that produce solid OL NFL players.  Future and depth are looking better in 2019 and beyond for the OLine.)

#228.  Donnie Lewis Jr NFL

Scouting Report: Donnie Lewis Jr

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Tulane Position: Cornerback Class: Senior Height: 6-0 Weight: 195 Projected Draft Round: 5-7

Scouting Report:

Extremely versatile defensive back that has played all over the secondary against receivers of all shapes and sizes. Has 4 years of starting experience, and has been productive throughout his college career. Sticks to receivers whether they are small and twitchy, or bigger and more physical. Potential sleeper in the upcoming draft.  (Late rd DB that offers depth and ST value.)

UDFA's

BaileyJake.jpg  Jake Bailey K  Stanford

SokolMatt.jpg  Matt Sokol TE  Michigan St.

IngoldAlec.jpg  Alec Ingold FB  Wisconsin

JohnsonChris.jpg  Chris Johnson S  North Alabama

BookerDante.jpg  Dante Booker LB  Ohio St.

LapuahoU.jpg  Ului Lapuaho G/T  BYU

McSorleyTrace.jpg  Trace McSorley QB/RB/WR  Penn St.

WilliamsPreston.jpg  Preston Williams WR  Colorado St.

ButlerEman.jpg  Emmanuel Butler WR  Northern Arizona

Peace out everyone and I hope you enjoyed the show.  :)!!!

Liked the off-season okay.

Despised the first pick at #12.  Loved the pick at #30.  Flip flop them and I'm happy, so it doesn't really matter.

Really like Hodge at ILB.

Can't see taking two Badgers, but I like a G/T upgrade.

Penny Hart intrigues me, heard his hands are iffy, though.

With that title, I expected a real OT at #12 and a G at #30.  Was surprised to see Hock and Polite there.

2 hours ago, jleisher said:

2019 Cap Space:  $30,000,000   (I know it's more then that, so don't tell me it's wrong.)  :D

#53 - LB <forge-entity title="Nick Perry" slug="nick-perry" code="player">Nick Perry</forge-entity>Nick Perry Edge.  As unrealistic as it might be, I think the Packers could trade Perry.  When healthy, that's a big when, he can be productive.  So, in the mock, the Packers find someone to give Perry a fresh start in life and only give up a 2020 6th round pick.  Could be a win win for both teams.  Cap saved $14,437,500.

New Cap Space after trade:  $44,437,500

Sorry to break this to you, but trading Perry does not get the Packers $14M in cap savings for 2019.  It is the same cap accounting as if Perry were to be cut.  2019 cap savings of $3.335M

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Liked the off-season okay.

Despised the first pick at #12.  Loved the pick at #30.  Flip flop them and I'm happy, so it doesn't really matter.

Really like Hodge at ILB.

Can't see taking two Badgers, but I like a G/T upgrade.

Penny Hart intrigues me, heard his hands are iffy, though.

With that title, I expected a real OT at #12 and a G at #30.  Was surprised to see Hock and Polite there.

I agree the top two should be flipped. I don't know enough about the bottom few picks, but honestly I would be okay with going offense heavy. I'm starting to come around to the idea that offense should be drafted to grow together and defense could be heavily supplemented by FA.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Sorry to break this to you, but trading Perry does not get the Packers $14M in cap savings for 2019.  It is the same cap accounting as if Perry were to be cut.  2019 cap savings of $3.335M

Thank you, that I didn't know.  

57 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Yeah your cap math here is so off it kind of makes a mess of the FA part. The draft is good if you flip Polite and Hock. Pretty much every guy in it is either a guy who I like or who I'm fine with.

Your right, thanks!

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Yeah your cap math here is so off it kind of makes a mess of the FA part. The draft is good if you flip Polite and Hock. Pretty much every guy in it is either a guy who I like or who I'm fine with.

I think Hock has a solid chance to go #8 to the Lions honestly. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

It's gonna be wild when Hock goes top 10. I love Hock, think he's a great TE prospect (probably not a truly elite athlete but we'll see) but in no way would I draft him in the top 20. Just not a ton of value at TE.

Just now, rcon14 said:

It's gonna be wild when Hock goes top 10. I love Hock, think he's a great TE prospect (probably not a truly elite athlete but we'll see) but in no way would I draft him in the top 20. Just not a ton of value at TE.

Hard to take a TE top 12 when so many of the best ones in the league were 2nd, 3rd or later round picks. But Hock is one of the most polished and well rounded tight ends we've seen in a while

44 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Thought......
I'm pretty sure Hockenson at 8 would be considered a reach and DET got burned using a #10 pick for Ebron.
Rumor has it this is a fairly deep TE class. I doubt they'd pick Hockensen that high. Maybe. Doubt it though.

Your best mock so far. Off-season seems plausible, draft seems realistic, and you got a lot of prospects that I’m a fan of. While I don’t think every player will make it to the pick you took them with, I do like that you based your draft off of a Big Board. Nice work!

Archived