Julian Edelman suffers a knee injury, he believes its a torn ACL

Blackstar12

15 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Edelman should've signed a big contract somewhere else...patriots got him for the cheap...one more injury in the next 2 yrs and he'll be cut with niceties said about him on the way out but with relatively empty pockets as well compared to what he couldve made on the open market

It's not always about the money. Sometimes people find a fit that works for them and it did with Edelman. It's too bad that any injuries happen in pre-season, but they do and the game goes on. :/

16 minutes ago, Belle7 said:

It's not always about the money. Sometimes people find a fit that works for them and it did with Edelman. It's too bad that any injuries happen in pre-season, but they do and the game goes on. :/

Yeah exactly. He couldn't possibly leave his Tommy.

I don't think this is insignificant, as some are suggesting. The last 5 years, the constant (in the receiving game) has been Edelman. He's not fantastic, but Brady seems to like throwing his way. Looking for Cooks to step up. Cooks was going to be the one to take the top off the defense, but I wonder if we bring him in closer a la Edelman now.

43 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't think this is insignificant, as some are suggesting. The last 5 years, the constant (in the receiving game) has been Edelman. He's not fantastic, but Brady seems to like throwing his way. Looking for Cooks to step up. Cooks was going to be the one to take the top off the defense, but I wonder if we bring him in closer a la Edelman now.

Can't Austin Carr, Danny Amendola or Malcolm Mitchell play that role?

9 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Edleman was huge for them and his biggest attributes were reliability and intelligence.  He averaged 6 catches a game played over the past 5 years.  Still, he's missed a LOT of games over those 5 years.  The Patriots offense will be fine without him as in it won't be nearly as big of an impact as losing Jordy Nelson hurt the Packers (mostly because they have a lot more talent at receiver and tight end than the Packers had in 2015). 

The biggest impact will most certainly be in the playoffs.  Over the past 5 years, Edleman averaged 6 catches a game in 55 regular season games. 

In the playoffs over the past five years, Edleman has AVERAGED 8 catches and 95 yards a game. 

The Patriots could afford to lose him for the regular season, but now they can't afford to lose anybody else. 

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Edelman should've signed a big contract somewhere else...patriots got him for the cheap...one more injury in the next 2 yrs and he'll be cut with niceties said about him on the way out but with relatively empty pockets as well compared to what he couldve made on the open market

If he signed elsewhere other than probably New Orleans his statistics would plummet. 

14 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Hogan will also have a big year if Edelman is out for an extend period of time.

Hogan might get more throws, but he plays a different role on this team. Edelman was the slot receiver (which has been vital to Brady his whole career, from Troy Brown to Wes Wexker to Edelman). Hogan has played primarly on the outside. Amendola might get more playing time this year. The rookie Carr also fits best in the slot (though he obviously has less experience).  

tumblr_n6itceD6OO1qhfadgo2_500.gif

But in all seriousness, this really isn't the huge backbreaker as it would have been in the past. Not only are we loaded at the position (White and Dion can also play in the slot), but the fact it happened in preseason gives Brady more time to gel with the other receivers. Jules will be missed though.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Can't Austin Carr, Danny Amendola or Malcolm Mitchell play that role?

Don't know about Carr, Amendola just doesn't seem to have it (unless it's the superbowl or on a game winning drive) and Mitchell is different entirely. Maybe Carr can fit it.

13 minutes ago, Crickett said:

I wonder if the Patriots are going to target a WR on the waiver wire after the 53 man cutdowns.   Maybe someone like Tajae Sharpe or Jared Abbrederis or Rashad Greene?

I made the prediction that 3 Packers WRs would end up on other teams lets see if I am right.

Archived