The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

18 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He does have a lot of responsibility for the loss, but the players had a horrible game too.  Harrison Smith got beaten on a play in a way that was totally uncharacteristic of him all year.  The same can be said of others too.  It was just a bad game all around for the entire team.

I can agree to a certain point, but I think the game has a completely different result if Case Keenum doesn't throw a pick-6 to allow the Eagles to tie the game at 7.  If the Vikings go up 14-0, I think it's a completely different game.  That pick-6 just energized the Eagles and it snowballed from there.

• Like 2

It wasn't just the pick 6, it was the fumble in the red zone on a drive that could've tied the game at 14 midway through the 2nd quarter. Keenum stared down an open receiver at the sticks (Thielen IIRC) and that gave Barnett enough time to get around the corner for the strip sack.

For me, the defensive failure came down to game plan more than execution. They sat back and dared Foles to beat them by throwing downfield. And he did -- he beat them by throwing downfield. The Eagles OL whipped the Vikings DL, and they didn't scheme pressure even on most 3rd downs. They seemed to be expecting him to make mistakes. They gameplanned for Foles from the Oakland or Atlanta games, and instead ran into Foles from the Super Bowl. 

Given a redo, I bet Zimmer would be bringing more pressure, more often, making Foles get the ball out of his hand quicker and trusting his DBs more. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Given a redo, I bet Zimmer would be bringing more pressure, more often, making Foles get the ball out of his hand quicker and trusting his DBs more. 

what was the score at halftime? i can't remember (or don't want to...) but my question is, should thought have been given to pulling Case for Bradford...?

45 minutes ago, Krauser said:

It wasn't just the pick 6, it was the fumble in the red zone on a drive that could've tied the game at 14 midway through the 2nd quarter. Keenum stared down an open receiver at the sticks (Thielen IIRC) and that gave Barnett enough time to get around the corner for the strip sack.

For me, the defensive failure came down to game plan more than execution. They sat back and dared Foles to beat them by throwing downfield. And he did -- he beat them by throwing downfield. The Eagles OL whipped the Vikings DL, and they didn't scheme pressure even on most 3rd downs. They seemed to be expecting him to make mistakes. They gameplanned for Foles from the Oakland or Atlanta games, and instead ran into Foles from the Super Bowl. 

I agree with this ... he stuck with the game plan that clearly wasn't working for too long. The OL was killing our DL, and Foles had a crazy amount of time to beat us downfield.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sporting News ranks Zimmer as the seventh-best coach in the league behind Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots, Doug Pederson of the Philadelphia Eagles, Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pete Carroll of the Seattle Seahawks, Mike McCarthy of the Green Bay Packers and Sean Payton of the New Orleans Saints, in that order. Considering that the Vikings beat the Packers and the Saints twice last year, it is interesting to see their head coaches ranked higher heading into the 2018 campaign.

Zimmer is the highest-ranked coach without a Super Bowl. Still, it is a big jump for Zimmer on their rankings, who was set at No. 17 heading into last season. He holds a career record of 39-25 with the Vikings and has made the playoffs and won the NFC North in two of the last three seasons.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Mike-Zimmer-ranked-seventh-among-NFL-head-coaches-119341897/

Yes, Doug Pederson won the Super Bowl last year, but even then I'm not sure I could rank him that much higher, if at all, than Zimmer, because he doesn't have the full track record of Zimmer...he's only been a head coach for 2 years, and happened to strike gold last season.  

Among active NFL coaches, Mike Zimmer has the 4th best winning percentage behind Belichick, Tomlin and McCarthy.  That should count for something.  Maybe, over the length of time Pederson will have proven to be a better head coach, but he isn't necessarily there yet...for all we know he could be the next Brian Billick.  

Just now, disaacs said:

Among active NFL coaches, Mike Zimmer has the 4th best winning percentage behind Belichick, Tomlin and McCarthy.  

Considering the QB talent that Zimmer has had (compared to Brady, Roethlisberger and Rodgers), that is pretty incredible

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Considering the QB talent that Zimmer has had (compared to Brady, Roethlisberger and Rodgers), that is pretty incredible

No doubt, that is incredible. Zimmer has had the highest winning percentage of any coach that doesn't have a likely future hall of fame QBs. Not only that, Zimmer has done it with a couple different unproven QBs and a QB that had proven to be below average that the team had to trade for shortly before the season (with a small amount of Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder, and Shaun Hill sprinkled in there).

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Yeah, Zimmer has winning records with: 

• Bridgewater (17-11)
  • Keenum (11-3)
  • Bradford (9-8)
  • Hill (1-0)

Keenum (9-15), Bradford (25-37-1) and Hill (16-18) all had losing career W-L records prior to joining the Vikings -- collectively, they were 50-70-1 (.413). With Zimmer, they were collectively 21-11 (.656).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The stat sheet might show Bradford at 9-8, but we all know that it should be 8-8. With Keenum at 12-3.

Fair point, yeah. .500 for Bradford is still a considerably better record than he's put up with any other coach.