The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer is entering his fifth season in Minnesota. Zimmer was hired by the Vikings in January of 2014 and has compiled a 39-25 regular-season record to go along with a pair of NFC North titles.

Patrick Daugherty of Rotoworld recently released his annual head coach rankings, and had the Vikings head man slotted in the eighth spot.

Bill Belichick was at the top of the list, followed by Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Doug Pederson, John Harbaugh and Ron Rivera. Sean McVay was listed at ninth after his first season.

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-Rotoworld-Releases-Rankings-of-NFLs-Head-Coaches/1624144b-54fd-4da1-97df-4160b8baa957?sf183778221=1

Fair enough.

Zim has done a good job, everyone about him has earned their spot. Only one I think is truely highly debateable would be Harbaugh, but he also won a Super Bowl, and lately has continued to win a fair amount of games after tons of injuries. 

8th is still pretty dang good when you still look at some of the names after him.

7 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Believe it or not, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer is entering his fifth season in Minnesota. Zimmer was hired by the Vikings in January of 2014 and has compiled a 39-25 regular-season record to go along with a pair of NFC North titles.

Patrick Daugherty of Rotoworld recently released his annual head coach rankings, and had the Vikings head man slotted in the eighth spot.

Bill Belichick was at the top of the list, followed by Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Doug Pederson, John Harbaugh and Ron Rivera. Sean McVay was listed at ninth after his first season.

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-Rotoworld-Releases-Rankings-of-NFLs-Head-Coaches/1624144b-54fd-4da1-97df-4160b8baa957?sf183778221=1

I think to me the biggest surprise from that list is Harbaugh. His first six years were great, but the last four haven't really been much to write home about. Then again, I suppose, people could rip Zimmer the same way for 2014 and 2016.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Andy Reid is tremendously overrated.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Klomp said:

His worst season in KC has been 9-7

So?  I didn't say he was a bad coach, but he's not a great one either.  He's the modern day Denny Green.  Pretty good in the regular season as a whole, but not a great coach when it counts in crunch time (either at the end of games or the playoffs).  Any time there's any real significant pressure, he wilts.   

Edited by disaacs

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, Zimmer met with Vikings owners Mark and Zygi Wilf and brought up the subject of giving up his play-calling role. “And they were like, ‘Not so fast,’” Zimmer said. “So we’ll see how it goes.”

Last season, 12 head coaches called their team’s offensive plays. Zimmer was the lone head coach who called defensive plays. The other 19 head coaches didn’t call any plays.

“I would like to get away from it at some point,” Zimmer said. “But I think it’s something I do good. I don’t want to be a second-guess coach if George calls something up — I don’t want to be like, ‘I hate that call.’ That’s not good.”

https://theathletic.com/292294/2018/03/29/vikings-defense-mike-zimmer-play-calling-philadelphia-nfc-championship/