The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

That word “intent” just sticks out like a sore thumb in a statement like this. If they really do intend on having Zimmer and Spielman back, why not just say it? Why not just say that they’ll be back in 2020 and beyond? 

IMO, the statement from the Wilfs just adds fuel to the speculation that Zimmer will be out if he doesn’t have this team performing well on Sunday. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Here's a question for you guys.  Assuming we do end up keeping Zimmer, but Stefanski ends up leaving, who do we go with for our OC next year?  Would they try to talk Gary Kubiak into stepping up, or do they let Kubiak go and give Pat Shurmur a call?  Which of these two would you prefer?  Or would you want someone else brought in?

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That word “intent” just sticks out like a sore thumb in a statement like this. If they really do intend on having Zimmer and Spielman back, why not just say it? Why not just say that they’ll be back in 2020 and beyond? 

IMO, the statement from the Wilfs just adds fuel to the speculation that Zimmer will be out if he doesn’t have this team performing well on Sunday. 

Could they just be using a little gamesmanship themselves in trying to motivate Zim and make sure he has this team ready to play?

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Could they just be using a little gamesmanship themselves in trying to motivate Zim and make sure he has this team ready to play?

Or could also be telling the Cowboys that if they want him, it'll cost. 

But I genuinely think they like the duo

• Like 2

Just now, byuvike88 said:

Or could also be telling the Cowboys that if they want him, it'll cost. 

But I genuinely think they like the duo

I think they like them too.  It kind of makes sense to keep them around for next year and see how things go.  If we do well in the playoffs this year and have a good season in 2020, contract extensions are probably in order for Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins.  If not, you jettison all three and start over. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think they like them too.  It kind of makes sense to keep them around for next year and see how things go.  If we do well in the playoffs this year and have a good season in 2020, contract extensions are probably in order for Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins.  If not, you jettison all three and start over. 

I'd be surprised if they are planning on keeping him, if there isn't some sort of extension for the two of them. Nobody really likes lame duck years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

I'd be surprised if they are planning on keeping him, if there isn't some sort of extension for the two of them. Nobody really likes lame duck years. 

Good point.  Maybe they are waiting to see how things go in the playoffs.  Win a couple of games and he gets an extension.  Pull a no-show like we did against Philly in 2017 and they let him go.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Here is a story on NFL.com that says the Wilfs have every intention of holding onto Spielman/Zimmer.  In other news, "we have no intention of trading Percy Harvin..."   :D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001094168/article/vikings-intend-to-retain-mike-zimmer-rick-spielman

Great. Ownership supports this guy too.   Yep, we will be mediocre for the next 6 years. 

10 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Great. Ownership supports this guy too.   Yep, we will be mediocre for the next 6 years. 

To be fair, we have been better than "mediocre".  Overall record is better, and we did go to an NFC Championship Game.  We'll see how it goes in the next month whether he can add to the resume'.

• Like 3