Heimdallr

3 hours ago, perrynoid said:
  • Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings.
  • Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans.
  • Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions.
  • Mike Pettine, Cleveland Browns.
  • Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins.
  • Lovie Smith, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

soooo... Zimmer outlasted every one of them so far...?

is O'Brien still coaching? i know @ET80 wishes he wasn't.

Edited by vike daddy

19 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Is this ban permanent? I liked reading @Torchezim's perspective and feel that the Vikings forum will be significantly worse without it. We need far more dissenting opinions.

i'll reply, only because i know the correct answer.

when webby bans a member, he'll state whether it is a temporary ban and for how long. if he does not state so, then it is a permanent ban and cannot be rescinded. should a member rejoin the site under a new username and it is discovered, he is immediately banned again.

that all being said... another rule the site's webmaster enforces is that once a member is banned, that's it. we do not discuss them or the incident leading to their ban or our opinions on the ban, be they pro or con. you're fairly new here, and bans are uncommon in the Viking forum (less than once a year) so you don't know these items. but now that you do, we all should adhere to how the webmaster runs his site.

as webby stated clearly, we should get back to football. that's what the site is for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

another rule the site's webmaster enforces is that once a member is banned, that's it. we do not discuss them or the incident leading to their ban or our opinions on the ban, be they pro or con. you're fairly new here, and bans are uncommon in the Viking forum (less than once a year) so you don't know these items. but now that you do, we all should adhere to how the webmaster runs his site.

Thanks for letting me know that rule as you correctly ascertained my ignorance of it. I hope you don't feel that my question and comment ran afoul of that rule. I did not discuss the incident leading to the ban or express an opinion on the ban. Although, that is somewhat by luck as I didn't remember that rule, and yes, I have previously read through all the rules that I could find -- not that I necessarily remember them all.

I am concerned about your last statement as it is easy for me to infer that you are suggesting I was out of line with my post.

Again, thank you for mentioning that rule. It is probably worth mentioning each time someone is banned because others that have read the rules likely will, like me, forget a rule that doesn't apply 99.9% of the time.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

I am concerned about your last statement as it is easy for me to infer that you are suggesting I was out of line with my post.

no, more that i too should just be posting about football, not bans. but i think e dealt with this quickly, and new members can only learn the ins and outs of fairly rare situations by seeing them occur.

Well his playoff record is better now... but I’m not sure the Saints win makes me any less concerned with Zimmers game management. The fourth quarter was a mess of play calling on both sides of the ball. Lucky we got out of it alive thanks to some Kirk/Thielen/Rudolph heroics. I still don’t trust Zimmer to coach us well through a full game, though I’ll admit they came out hotter today. 

5 minutes ago, eaganfootball4 said:

Well his playoff record is better now... but I’m not sure the Saints win makes me any less concerned with Zimmers game management. The fourth quarter was a mess of play calling on both sides of the ball. Lucky we got out of it alive thanks to some Kirk/Thielen/Rudolph heroics. I still don’t trust Zimmer to coach us well through a full game, though I’ll admit they came out hotter today. 

I will agree that the 4th quarter looked very awkward compared to the first three. 

Almost like they panicked when they realized it looked like they were going to win. This team, both defense and offense, has struggled this year at closing out close games. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I will agree that the 4th quarter looked very awkward compared to the first three. 

Almost like they panicked when they realized it looked like they were going to win. This team, both defense and offense, has struggled this year at closing out close games. 

That's certainly fair, but Zimmer himself can only do so much.  But, in the end, he got the job done.  Hopefully, this will be the case, I can't remember who said it, Joe or Troy, that they will finally be able to relax and let it go.  Because I think that's often been the problem, they've been burned late in games, so they tense up and then start making mistakes...it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

• Like 2

We talked all week about how this game against New Orleans was a huge game for Kirk and Zimmer's image, but I honestly think that this game completely flipped my idea of Zimmer. I was at a bit of a cross roads with Zimmer going into the game, his defenses had been top 10 scoring units every year except in 2014, when he first took over (and they were 11th in PPG), but offensive ineptitude had been a motif of his teams year in and year out and I wondered if he had hit a ceiling here. Now after the Saints game, I'm actually finding a pattern in the opposite direction.

Think of every playoff game the Vikings have had with Zimmer at the helm, and I think Zimmer has had borderline phenomenal defensive gameplans. I always said Zimmer earned his one playoff win (prior to yesterday's wildcard victory), since the Vikings got lucky and won a game they probably shouldn't have against the Saints in January of 2018, but should have beat the Seahawks in 2015, if not for a Blair Walsh 27 yard FG miss. And I think that's where it really starts for me, if you flip that game to a 12-10 win for the Vikings all of a sudden you realize how many amazing gameplans Zimmer has had in the playoffs.

In that 2015 rematch he held the same Seahawks offense that dropped 38 points on the Vikings just one month prior to 10 offensive points and gave his team a phenomenal chance to win. Did the weather help the team with that gameplan? Absolutely. But I still think there's no denying the achievement of holding a future first ballot HOF QB to 226 total yards and to just over 27 minutes of TOP. The Seahawks also fumbled twice, but managed to recover twice, while also recovering Adrian Peterson's fumble, and I can't even begin to describe how unlucky that was for Teddy Bridgewater and company.

Then in 2017, despite being overmatched at QB, he engineered a gameplan that held Drew Brees and company to 24 points and again gave his team a chance to win. And again yesterday he came up with a phenomenal defensive gameplan to attack New Orleans gaurds on offense and use Andrew Sendejo in a 3 safety look to compensate for the lack of Mackenzie Alexander and Mike Hughes and held a New Orleans offense averaging 32.4 PPG in game Drew Brees played in to 20 points, giving his team a chance to win.

The elephant in the room is obviously the Eagles game in the 2017 NFCCG, but honestly I think Zimmer had a good defensive gameplan going into that game. He lined Harrison Smith up in the box a lot and challenged Nick Foles to beat him, which going into that game, after their debacle against Atlanta, was a pretty good bet. Foles, unfortunately, just proved him wrong (he would later do the same thing to the Patriots in teh Super Bowl.) Yet, honestly, with how well Foles played, you have to believe that if the offensive line had held up just slightly better in pass protection and Keenum hadn't thrown that pick six to tie the game at 7, the game would've been a knock down drag out fight. I really think Zimmer gave the Vikings a chance to win, they were just too limited on the offensive line and with Keenum to keep up with the Eagles D-Line. There's a bizarro world where that game is something like 21-17 going into the 4th and even if the Vikings don't win, Zimmer is heralded for the job he did.

Is Zimmer the best coach in the NFL? No, that's Bill Belichick and I'm not even sure if he's worked his way up to Andy Reid/Pete Carroll territory, yet. But regardless of what happens against the 49ers, where I still strongly believe the Vikings have a punchers chance, I definitely want him here for a long time. He will always have great defensive gameplans and when paired with the right offensive mind, the Vikings will have at least an outside chance at the Super Bowl.

I'm serious, this last game changed the whole narrative and firmly planted Zimmer in that fringe top 5 coach area, right with Sean McVay and Doug Pederson.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I'm serious, this last game changed the whole narrative and firmly planted Zimmer in that fringe top 5 coach area, right with Sean McVay and Doug Pederson.

Personally I don't think that is a stretch at all, and not even much of a narrative change.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Personally I don't think that is a stretch at all, and not even much of a narrative change.

I've just always thought that people who criticize Zimmer's coaching seem to have short memories and/or a very narrow viewpoint of what it means to be a good coach...it's like they think coaching skill is either you win a Super Bowl or you're a terrible coach and deserve to be fired.  While he's not on the same level over the long-term, it should be noted that Andy Reid has yet to win a Super Bowl and that 6 of the top-10 coaches in wins (who actually coached during the Super Bowl era, thus, Curly Lambeau and George Halas don't count) haven't/never won a Super Bowl.  Super Bowl wins aren't the end-all, be-all.  But, if this franchise is going to win a Super Bowl, I think this coach gives them the best chance, with his concentration on defense-first and running the ball. 

• Like 2