Bears release K Cody Parkey

SteelKing728

Eating the money sucks. It is a tight year for the Bears even without having to replace him.

But this team has a window right now to win and you cannot compromise that because you do not want to eat money on a failed kicker. Even more so when the money is not that much, in comparison to the cap and can be pretty easily recouped by restructuring a small portion of Mack's money.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Eating the money sucks. It is a tight year for the Bears even without having to replace him.

But this team has a window right now to win and you cannot compromise that because you do not want to eat money on a failed kicker. Even more so when the money is not that much, in comparison to the cap and can be pretty easily recouped by restructuring a small portion of Mack's money.

hes-right-you-know-32644960.png

On 2/25/2019 at 9:59 AM, Outpost31 said:

And do you think - ignoring how this conversation went and focusing on how it started - that it was ludicrous to suggest that cutting Parkey was a mistake? 

Considering the Bears low cap space, low draft capital, significant pending free agents and the fact that it saved zero money and the fact that Parkey (as well as other kickers throughout NFL history) have shown the ability to bounce back from poor seasons?

Could it POSSIBLY have been the wrong decision to cut a kicker in light of all that? 

I'm not asking if you agree or disagree, I'm asking if you're capable of acknowledging that it could have been a mistake. 

I'll chime in.

I don't see how it could possibly be a mistake at this point.  Bears already know what they had in Parkey after finding out the hard way, and it simply wasn't good enough to justify the price in continuing to pay him the enormous mistake of a contract he was given last offseason.

Whether or not Parkey has the capability to bounce back remains to be seen, but the Bears sure as heck don't want to be the team to find out that he can't, especially when they have aspirations of realistically making it to a SB next season.  You also can't base the decision of whether or not to bring Parkey back based on what other kickers who have come before him have done.  Everyone is different and deals with adversity in different ways. 

I don't ever remember GB or BAL fans booing Crosby or Tucker incessantly after every bad kick and before every other time they came back out to kick a FG again.  That is basically what Parkey would have to deal with from here on out if he were to remain Bears kicker.  The only way he could ever redeem himself in most Bears fans' eyes is by kicking the game winning FG in the SB.

Take the cap hit and move on. End of story and end of distraction.

Archived