WR Michael Crabtree Released

coordinator0

33 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Good. What a horrible signing that was in retrospect. Bringing in a possession WR who ultimately proved to be nothing but a drop machine.

It was a pretty bad signing in un-retrospect too. He had way too many drops for a possesion guy even before he got here.

We basically paid him $8M for that one season, so cheaper than some other potential mistakes like Ryan Grant or Donte Moncrief would have been, at least.

Another thing that we can say with hindsight (and did say without hindsight) is that we should have just gone hard after Allen Robinson. Now that we know we have a rookie scale QB going forward, it makes it a bigger missed opportunity:(

I liked how Crabtree embraced his role the Lamar Jackson offense (unlike John Brown), and also how he is fiery a competitor willing to block and do the dirty work. Unfortunately he wasn't that good at catching, so I can see why they let him go.

For those calling this a bad signing, I think you have to consider that Brown and Snead were big question marks going into 2018 and Crabtree was the safer addition. Having at least one veteran WR who could run routes inside and outside the hashes was valuable from a schematic point of view (Brown can't work inside and Sneed can't work outside). 

Now we have a huge hole at #1 WR. Will Chris Moore step up? Or will we be bargain hunting for veteran WRs once again? I'm not sure how many WRs will want to sign here just yet, until Lamar has more success passing. 

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Moore is JAG, don't know what people see in him other than a ST ace. 

90.5% True Catch Rate. 111.4 QBR when targeted. Athletic. Nose for the ball. Has improved every single year.

As a pure deep threat alone even, he isn't JAG. I can't wait to see him in a bigger role.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. We’re for sure going WR early now. JJ Arcega Whiteside FTW. 😎

This might be another Michael Thomas thing in the draft proces, but I simply don't see it with Whiteside. Big bodied physical receiver yes, hands seems okay, there is some use of hands to get a free release, seems fast enough, but is the Anquan Boldin/Crabtree type of receiver the type we want for Lamar?

His COD and twitchiness is bad, but that is not his game so I am fine with that. He still seems like a 2-3 rounder for me. Would I want him over Metcalf, well thats a yes, because I truly believe what Whiteside does translates well to the NFL, same with N'Keal Harry where getting open isn't the main concern, but rather if they can still win the contested catches.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

This might be another Michael Thomas thing in the draft proces, but I simply don't see it with Whiteside. Big bodied physical receiver yes, hands seems okay, there is some use of hands to get a free release, seems fast enough, but is the Anquan Boldin/Crabtree type of receiver the type we want for Lamar?

His COD and twitchiness is bad, but that is not his game so I am fine with that. He still seems like a 2-3 rounder for me. Would I want him over Metcalf, well thats a yes, because I truly believe what Whiteside does translates well to the NFL, same with N'Keal Harry where getting open isn't the main concern, but rather if they can still win the contested catches.

I fell off on N’Keal Harry because I question his COD/quickness. With JJAWs that is absolutely not a concern. He’s not an Anquan Boldin type like Harry, he’s very much comparable to Jordy Nelson. Big bodied receiver with size, has deep ball ability thanks to his combination between route running, above average speed, and COD ability. He’s going to get separation at the next level. I mean, he got plenty of separation at the collegiate level and quite frequently adjusted to poorly thrown balls by simply summoning his inner Shaquille O’Neal and completely boxing out his man for the offensive rebound (catch).

I think there’s a chance that he’s an even more physical version of Jordy Nelson, I see splashes of Larry Fitzgerald when I watch Arcega play. He already plays in a pro style run heavy offense and produces at a high level. He has the mentality to have the coach call his number. He’s a strong blocking WR as well. This dude is absolutely 💯 a Raven.

I’d take him at 22, but considering he doesn’t seem to be the receiver most coveted in this draft, I would for sure trade back to pick 30-32 and pick him up.

Only Jeffery Simmons in round one makes me consider otherwise. But besides that I’m all in on JJAWs.

Route Running Proficiency

Mismatch Dominance

Big play threat

Archived