Lawrence signs 5-yr, $100MM contract w/ $65MM guaranteed

textaz03

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Like tweets above say.  It is now a major off season distraction and you have one of best players not preparing to be great for 2019.  Not like NFL is so easy or DL is so good he can just walk out there and be good without training and preparing.

Mack was good from day 1 after hold out, but he was training hard on his own the whole time while healthy not postponing surgery and rehab.

Its march 5th. Players arent training right now. For the next 6 weeks they dont have to worry about drug/PED testing or any work related events. They are in Holland doing blow and hookers right about now. 

Why do you think Zeke noped out of America when he was suspended? He went and party on some beach were the girls dont speak english. 

Or the fact that Andrew Luck spent his time in Europe? Luck was getting treatments that are illegal in the US to fix his shoulder. And probably a lot of steroids. 

Offseason training starts at the end of April/early May for these dudes. 

I'm guessing this is all just procedure. Tagging him and utilizing the 5 months they now have to negotiate a deal was probably always in the design. They are simply not in a position to let him walk, and I'm betting they lock him to a multi year deal sometime this summer. We hear things like, "the cap isn't real." Or "cap space isn't going to be an issue" when talking about Dak. If true, then it shouldn't be an issue for a guy who is actually elite. Patience.

Edited by DaBoys

I'd probably be looking for a trade partner to get me back in the first round. I'd sign a solid vet for half the price, and bank on him plus Taco or Armstrong making a leap. Taco sucked in college until year 3 as well. Maybe this is his year. I like Armstrong to take a leap as well. Probably won't be quite as great as having DLaw, but the drop off won't be $15M. Our LBs are still solid. The KR secondary is going to do its thing. We get back in the first round and save. Let DLaw go have surgery and rehab with someone else.

But we won't do that. We will sign him. Which is okay I guess.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Its march 5th. Players arent training right now. For the next 6 weeks they dont have to worry about drug/PED testing or any work related events. They are in Holland doing blow and hookers right about now. 

Why do you think Zeke noped out of America when he was suspended? He went and party on some beach were the girls dont speak english. 

Or the fact that Andrew Luck spent his time in Europe? Luck was getting treatments that are illegal in the US to fix his shoulder. And probably a lot of steroids. 

Offseason training starts at the end of April/early May for these dudes. 

I agree.  I didn't mean right now. I meant end of April/early May.   No reason it can't drag into then.  Double tags usually are a fight.  Most teams seem to have a gentleman agreement not to tag twice in a row.  

Also, if he is hurt and needing surgery it might mean he can't lift weights in earnest until he gets his surgery.  Then he still has to rehab following surgery which isn't same as working out in prep for a football season.

If it still isn't resolved in May and no surgery then it may be time to worry no matter what outcome.  

35 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

4.5 days until legal tampering. 

Colts have a big need, a SB contending roster and $107m in cap space. 

Yep they are in such a good position right now they could set themselves up for years to come if they do it right and still havemore then anyone else in cap space.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

4.5 days until legal tampering. 

Colts have a big need, a SB contending roster and $107m in cap space. 

EDIT - oh and a DC who knows him and is entering his prime. 

I’m just sayin’

I'd have to be utterly blown away to trade Lawrence. We're talking multiple first round picks

6 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'd have to be utterly blown away to trade Lawrence. We're talking multiple first round picks

I just don’t see it happening. When was the last time the Cowboys traded away a top tier player in their early prime?? 

Ill wait for an answer

Cowboys front office is tootootooootooooo Stupid to think like that. 

8 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

I just don’t see it happening. When was the last time the Cowboys traded away a top tier player in their early prime?? 

Ill wait for an answer

Cowboys front office is tootootooootooooo Stupid to think like that. 

herschel walker

FWIW, the Vernon contract adjusted for this year’s cap, paid out over 6 years instead of 5, is roughly 6 years, $124M, $63M guaranteed ($20.7M/year). That would be the ideal realistic number for D-Law IMO. I might go a tad over that but not much.

That said, if we don’t wanna commit $20M+ to him after getting burned by Dez and his health, I get it. But someone will. Someone would probably throw us a first and go on to pay him a lot more than that.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'd just need one 1st, but I'd think I would want someone's 1st and 3rd this year. If someone in the ~20 range offered me a 1st and 3rd I think I'd take that. Use less than half of the $24 million saved on a vet FA DE like Preston Smith or Tre Flowers. And maybe draft another DE in the first round or 2nd round of a very deep draft. Have enough money for ET or Landon, and more money to sign Amari, Byron, Zeke, Jaylon, Collins, and Dak.

I'm guessing Rod Marinelli could make a pass rush out of Taco, Armstrong, Vet FA, 1st/2nd round draft pick... he's done alright with less. We'd save big and have 4 picks in the top 3 rounds instead of two. 

Edited by DaBoys

I’m not as confident as I typically would be regarding one of our star players. Indianapolis could simply make it damn near impossible to match his contract. I mean, they could beat Mack’s contract and still have a ton of to spare. 

You think with SJ around they match 6 / $140 / $90m ?  

I do not. 

fwiw, I don’t think Indy will do this, just saying they have the means.

5 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

There is no chance we would get two 1st rounders. We would get one, probably a late one. 

13 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I’m not as confident as I typically would be regarding one of our star players. Indianapolis could simply make it damn near impossible to match his contract. I mean, they could beat Mack’s contract and still have a ton of to spare. 

You think with SJ around they match 6 / $140 / $90m ?  

I do not. 

fwiw, I don’t think Indy will do this, just saying they have the means.

That wouldnt happen because as I said above, it would cost two 1st rounders. 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That wouldnt happen because as I said above, it would cost two 1st rounders. 

Do you think Dallas really plays that type of ball here?  They get out bid then demand two #1s. 

I don’t see that either. You screw DLaw out of money. That’s noy going h to sit well. Then he walks and you get a 3rd rd comp.