Devils Top Prospects(2019 Midseason Complete)

devils1854

23 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The obvious choice is Wander Franco, so i'll guess you're going to have Jo Adell there.  I agree with the consensus on Wander Franco.  18 K vs 28 BB in 58 games as an 18 year old in full season ball showing present average to above average power with plus power coming playing a premium position at SS.

I'll guess Gore.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Im ready to do this. Ive been tweaking the rankings for a few days. I dont know who said it in the forum but they are right about this half season has been pretty boring. Not too many breakout guys, and there are a lot of guys struggling. So ive been going back and forth with a lot of guys.

Ill admit I was wrong with Luis Robert. I kinda brushed off his success in the AFL last year, and he's just been a monster ever since, but also Julio Pablo Martinez had a good AFL stint last year after a bad regular season, and he's gotten even worse. Ill also admit I was a little low on Yordan Alvarez. I had him low because he is strictly a DH. Its very doubtful he will sustain what he is doing now, but his bat definitely plays.

Nicky Lopez, Griffin Canning, Garrett Hampson, Pete Alonso, Mike Soroka, Brandon Lowe, Austin Riley, Josh James, Danny Jansen, Alex Verdugo, Touki Toussaint, Alex Reyes, Francisco Mejia, Fernando Tatis Jr, Vlad Guerrero Jr, Eloy Jimenez, Victor Robles, Nick Senzel, and Chris Paddack all have graduated.

Tirso Ornelas, Julio Pablo Martinez, Yu Chang, Lazaro Armenteros, Vladimir Gutierrez, Elehuris Montero, Dennis Santana, Beau Burrows, Anderson Espinosa, Blake Rutherford, Jahmai Jones, Seuly Matias, Luis Gonzalez(Phillies), and Cionel Perez all dropped out from the preseason.

Thats 33 new faces for the list

Guys on the radar:Edward Cabrera(Miami), Trevor Rogers(Miami), Alek Thomas(Arizona), Bobby Bradley(Cleveland), Sheldon Neuse(Oakland), Josh Breaux(NY Yankees), Noelvi Marte(Seattle),

150(NA).Jhoan Duran||RHP||Minnesota
149(NA).Cal Quantrill||RHP||San Diego
148(NA).Tony Dibrell||RHP||NY Mets
147(NA).Geraldo Perdomo||SS||Arizona
146(NA).Jordan Balazovic||RHP||Minnesota
145(138).Khalil Lee||OF||Kansas City
144(144).Cole Ragans||LHP||Texas
143(119).Luiz Gohara||LHP||Atlanta
142(150).Tyler Stephenson||C||Cincinnati
141(NA).Braxton Garrett||LHP||Miami
140(149).Jonathan India||3B||Cincinnati
139(140).Tony Santillan||RHP||Cincinnati
138(136).Wander Javier||SS||Minnesota
137(143).Shed Long||2B||Seattle
136(148).Taylor Walls||SS||Tampa Bay
135(93).Corey Ray||OF||Milwaukee
134(128).Isaac Paredes||SS||Detroit
133(111).Eric Pardinho||RHP||Toronto
132(NA).Anthony Kay||LHP||NY Mets
131(100).Daz Cameron||OF||Detroit
130(NA).Spencer Howard||RHP||Philadelphia
129(117).Nick Solak||2B||Tampa Bay
128(NA).Josiah Gray||RHP||LA Dodgers
127(NA).Jorge Mateo||SS|Oakland
126(NA).Adbert Alzolay||RHP||Chicago Cubs

-Spencer Howard is the name in this 25 that could be the most likely to make the top 100 at the end of the season. He followed up a good 2018. He pitched a great 20 innings in April, but he has been on the shelf with shoulder issues since. If he comes back this year, he could move quickly. Jorge Mateo, a former top 100 guy, is back. Las Vegas is a hitters paradise compared to Nashville, but Mateo has cut his Ks this season. He's hitting the ball on the ground more, and has cut his IFFB% down by 12%. Still a little concerned a little that its all park factor, but Ill give him the benefit right now because he has great talent. Nick Solak is the next Brandon Lowe for Tampa. He's doing well at AAA. I think I might have him too low. Really disappointed in Daz Cameron and Corey Ray. I thought both put it together last year, but both have been plain awful in AAA. Braxton Garrett is another guy that could rise. It feels like he hasnt pitched since being drafted in the top 10 in 2016, but it seems like he is healthy and he is pitching well in A+. A healthy second half of the year will propel him up the rankings.

• Like 1

This is my draft top 10 from the beginning of May, and where Id probably have them right now in the rankings

1.Adley Rutschman||C||Top 20
2.Bobby Witt Jr||SS||Top 35
3.Shea Langeliers||C||Top 60
4.JJ Bleday||OF||Top 50.....I think he is even better than when I did these rankings
5.Andrew Vaughn||1B||Top 75
6.Riley Greene||OF||Top 75
7.Jack Leiter||RHP||School
8.Josh Jung||3B||Top 100
9.Matthew Allan||RHP||Top 120
10.Corbin Carroll||OF||Top 125

• Like 1

I think I like the previous 25 more than I do this one

125(130).Adam Haseley||OF||Philadelphia
124(127).Autin Beck||OF||Oakland
123(NA).Jose Suarez||LHP||LA Angels
122(NA).Monte Harrison||OF||Miami
121(146).Leody Taveras||OF||Texas
120(97).Bubba Thompson||OF||Texas
119(NA).Isan Diaz||2B||Miami
118(87).Justus Sheffield||LHP||Seattle
117(123).Victor Victor Mesa||OF||Miami
116(NA).Ryan Rolison||LHP||Colorado
115(NA).Terrin Vavra||SS||Colorado
114(NA).Bryse Wilson||RHP||Atlanta
113(139).Ryan Villade||SS||Colorado
112(113).Jonathan Loaisiga||RHP||NY Yankees
111(NA).Seth Beer||1B/OF||Houston
110(NA).Justin Dunn||RHP||Seattle
109(142).Tristen Lutz||OF||Milwaukee
108(99).Jake Burger||3B||Chicago White Sox
107(98).Logan Allen||LHP||San Diego
106(NA).Tyler Freeman||SS||Cleveland
105(102).Cole Winn||RHP||Texas
104(78).Nick Pratto||1B||Kansas City
103(101).Daulton Varsho||C||Arizona
102(58).Dane Dunning||RHP||Chicago White Sox
101(NA).Shane Baz||RHP||Tampa Bay

-Ive held onto the Burger love since he was drafted, but he still isnt playing this year after tearing a acl last spring. Another White Sox, Dane Dunning, is out with TJS. I do love the two Colorado shortstops. Vavra was a hit first guy out of Minnesota last year, and he is tearing up the Sally League with 8 HR and 23 2B. He has done all he can do in A ball. Vilade is two years younger than Vavra in A+. His power is up in the hitter friendly Cal League, but he is also walking more and has become a much better runner.  He has a good chance at becoming a major leaguer if the power continues to grow. Seth Beer has advances four levels in just under a calendar year, and is still hitting in AA. He has a legit chance to be an above average regular if he can play first. Finally, Leody Taveras looks like he might have figured something out. Still only 20, he had a good first half in A+. He hit for average. He walked. He stole bases. The power is still a long way away, but he might actually become a useful player. He has been promoted to AA after the all star break.

• Like 1

100(NA).Devi Garcia||RHP||NY Yankees
99(107).Franklin Perez||RHP||Detroit
98(NA).Ivan Herrera||C||St Louis
97(126).Freudis Nova||SS||Houston
96(50).MJ Melendez||C||Kansas City
95(NA).Triston Casas||1B||Boston
94(103).Nico Hoerner||SS||Chicago Cubs
93(95).Brailyn Marquez||LHP||Chicago Cubs
92(NA).Dylan Carlson||OF||St Louis
91(NA).Ryan Weathers||LHP||San Diego
90(81).Kyle Wright||RHP||Atlanta
89(91).Jeter Downs||2B/SS||LA Dodgers
88(NA).Shane McClanahan||LHP||Tampa Bay
87(NA).Ronny Mauricio||SS||NY Mets
86(76).Joey Wentz||LHP||Atlanta
85(NA).Grayson Rodriguez||RHP||Baltimore
84(NA).Xavier Edwards||SS||San Diego
83(88).Estevan Florial||OF||NY Yankees
82(125).Daniel Lynch||LHP||Kansas City
81(120).Trevor Larnach||OF||Minnesota
80(108).Hans Crouse||RHP||Texas
79(92).Brice Turang||SS||Milwaukee
78(109).Corbin Martin||RHP||Houston
77(89).Brent Rooker||1B||Minnesota
76(53).Yusniel Diaz||OF||Baltimore

-Last year's draft is producing a number of guys that are turning heads already. There are 9 guys in this part of my rankings. I wasnt a huge fan of either Travor Larnach or Ryan Weathers last year, but both are doing much better than I expected. I did not think that Larnach had enough power to be a above average regular in left field(he's not playing right at the major league level). He hasnt hit a ton of home runs yet, but he is a doubles machine and he already has 25 in a pitchers league. I now think some of those doubles will turn into home runs once he advances. Weather's doesnt have a great body, which was my biggest knock for the 6'1 lefty, but when I saw him earlier in the year, it did look like he has lost a few pounds. I cant comment much on his command, but his control has been excellent, only walking 8 guys so far in A ball. He's looking more like a mid rotation starter with his three above average pitches. There are some exciting short stop prospects here as well. Turang and Edwards are speed and defense guys right now. Neither has shown power, but it if comes, they both can be excellent major league guys. Mauricio and Nova are both teenagers with potential loud tools that are performing admirably in full season ball. Maybe my favorite guy on the list is 19 year old Ivan Herrera. I mentioned him briefly in my preseason lists. St Louis moved him up to full season ball after playing in the GCL last year. He is a hit first guy at the moment, and he has done surprisingly well. He's shown some pop, and it should increase as he ages, but he is walking and not striking out, and thats more telling than anything. He is very advanced for a 19 year old.

• Like 2

75(64).William Conteras||C||Atlanta
74(NA).Marco Luciano||SS||San Francisco
73(115).Nate Pearson||RHP||Toronto
72(NA).Logan Gilbert||RHP||Seattle
71(73).Mark Vientos||3B||NY Mets
70(66).Michael Kopech||RHP||Chicago White Sox
89(67).Andres Gimenez||SS||NY Mets
68(134).Alec Bohm||3B||Philadelphia
67(84).Kyle Muller||LHP||Atlanta
66(62).Jon Duplantier||RHP||Arizona
65(122).Will Smith||C/3B||LA Dodgers
64(77).Miguel Amaya||C||Chicago Cubs
63(86).Nolan Jones||3B||Cleveland
62(63).Michel Baez||RHP||San Diego
61(51).Ke'Bryan Hayes||3B||Pittsburgh
60(59).Jesus Sanchez||OF||Tampa Bay
59(104).Ryan Mountcastle||1B||Baltimore
58(NA).Jordan Groshans||SS||Toronto
57(70).Dustin May||RHP||Los Angeles Dodgers
56(83).Nolan Gorman||3B||St Louis
55(37).Oneil Cruz||SS||Pittsburgh
54(48).Adonis Medina||RHP||Philadelphia
53(80).Andrew Knizner||C||St Louis
52(44).Travis Swaggerty||OF||Pittsburgh
51(57).Ethan Hankins||RHP||Cleveland

-Ethan Hankins should have still been picked #1 last year. I dont care that he was a right handed high school pitcher. I dont care that he had shoulder soreness. His velo was back at the end of his high school season, and he was showing that he was still the guy being gushed over for months. Cleveland got a steal. He has started his season in probably the best rookie league(NY/Penn), and has been great. 17 Ks and 2 hits in 12.2 innings. If Cleveland allows him, he will fly up the organization. You can see that I moved Jordan Groshans up to #58 after him not being on the list preseason. I got to see him in person, and he is impressive. There is 30+ HR power in his body already. He might not stick at short, but he profiles great at third. I dont like putting prospects on my list if they havent played yet at all, so in the preseason, I kept off Marco Luciano. San Francisco threw out lots of money to land him, and the buzz was strong in the spring. He's finally playing in the AZL Rookie league, and after 9 games, he needs to be moved up. 34 at bats. 3 HR, 2 2B, 1 3B, 7 BB.  He will stick at short, and he could be a Gold Glover, along with potentially having one of the best bats at the position. Depending on what he does the rest of the year, and where, he could have a giant leap in the rankings at the end of the season. I like Jon Duplantier. I think he has 2-3 starter stuff. He pitched pretty well in 25 innings in Arizona, but once again he is injured. It happens every year. He is going to be one of those what if guys in a few years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on vacation during the holiday, so its now time to finish up the rest of the list.

50(85).Adrian Morejon||LHP||San Diego
49(55).Triston McKenzie||RHP||Cleveland
48(94).Jazz Chisholm||SS||Arizona
47(29).Brent Honeywell||RHP||Tampa Bay
46(61).Brandon Marsh||OF||Los Angeles Angels
45(43).Ronaldo Hernandez||C||Tampa Bay
44(65).Brady Singer||RHP||Kansas City
43(52).Sixto Sanchez||RHP||Miami
42(33).Hunter Greene||RHP||Cincinnati
41(34).Mitch Keller||RHP||Pittsburgh
40(90).DL Hall||LHP||Baltimore
39(69).Heliot Ramos||OF||San Francisco
38(41).Colton Welker||3B||Colorado
37(36).AJ Puk||LHP||Oakland
36(39).Sean Murphy||C||Oakland
35(74).Evan White||1B||Seattle
34(24).Luis Garcia||SS||Washington
33(60).Nick Madrigal||2B||Chicago White Sox
32(68).Matthew Liberatore||LHP||Tampa Bay
31(40).Brusdar Graterol||RHP||Minnesota
30(54).Jarred Kelenic||OF||Seattle
29(32).Keibert Ruiz||C||Los Angeles Dodgers
28(45).Luis Patino||RHP||San Diego
27(22).Brendan Rodgers||2B||Colorado
26(49).Brendan McKay||LHP/DH||Tampa Bay

-Its not really surprising to me that Evan White has continued his success in AA this year. He isnt a huge power bat, and that is keeping him down on a lot of lists, especially since he plays first. He is a Gold Glove caliber guy already. While thats not going to wow a lot of people because he plays 1st, but he is very athletic and can be head and shoulders above the rest of the league. He's already equaled last years number in home runs, and his ISO and SLG is up from his stint in the very hitter friendly Cal League. That's impressive in itself. I see a lot of John Olerud in him. Tampa has pretty much caught San Diego in the team rankings so far, and you can see it in this group. Ronaldo Hernandez has been league average in hitting in the hitter suppressive Florida State League(101 wRC+). The power is down, but Im not worried one bit. His K rate is steady from last year, and that is one huge plus. Brent Honeywell is missing all of 2019. It could be tough for him to come back after missing two full years, but if he still can show three plus pitches, he's is a top 20 prospect again. Ive seen Matthew Liberatore once so far this year in Bowling Green, and he is as good as advertised. He should probably be promoted to A+ already at 19 years old, but Tampa is slow with their high school guys. He should continue to dominate low A for the rest of the season. Brendan McKay will probably spend most of the rest of the year in AAA after his start this weekend, but he has shocked me in just how good he has been as a pitcher. I thought he was much like Kyle Wright. Solid back end starter with a high floor but not much of a ceiling because his pitches all flash above average. He just knows how to pitch. He can hit his spots at will, and because of this, he can be a solid #2 in the future. Finally, I moved up Jazz Chisholm almost 50 spots. Ive seen him twice now. The game power is plus. Much better than most people thought. He is only hitting .207 right now, which has moved about 30 points in the past month, but he is getting very unlucky with the BABIP, and he has more than doubled his BB/9. He is impressive in person. I've written enough, but just keep out for DL Hall. He's a guy I loved in the 17 draft, and if he gets the control in check, he can be a true ace.

• Like 2

25(96).Yordan Alvarez||DH||Houston

-If Alvarez could even play any position in the field, he would probably be a top 5 prospect. He can hit. That's always been known. Is he as good as he is hitting right now? Definitely not, but he can be one of the best DH's in the league for a long time.
24(42).Julio Rodriguez||OF||Seattle

-Julio might be my favorite non-Braves/Rays prospect in all of baseball. He dominated A ball in the first few weeks of April. He got injured, and is just now back. He is a physical marvel. He's a future top 5 prospect, and he has the tools to be a legitimate star in Seattle.
23(23).Ian Anderson||RHP||Atlanta

-As a 21 year old in AA, Anderson is striking out more guys per 9 than in any other stop in his short career. His walk rate is still a little high, but his fastball and change up are top of the rotation pitches, and he can be the guy the Braves need if he can harness the control.
22(27).Vidal Brujan||2B||Tampa Bay

-Brujan has played 11 games in AA. He has 8 steals. That makes 32 on the year. He hits balls in the gaps for extra base hits. He has a great glove and arm at second. He needs to be talked about more. He has four tools that are potentially very good to great.
21(28).Joey Bart||C||San Francisco

-Bart's year was given a huge hit when he broke a bone in his hand in April. He's still been an above average hitter this year, but the power has been taken away. No one should be worried at all. I expect him to be back to normal in 2020.
20(56).Luis Urias||2B||San Diego

-Ive always been lower on Urias than most in the past year or so, and Im coming around slowly. I still dont trust the power this year in AAA, especially playing where he does, but I do like his bat. He should get on base regularly, and he will hit for average.
19(31).Matt Manning||RHP||Detroit

-Command can make a pitcher an ace, or it can put him in the bullpen. Manning has always had two great pitches, but now he is hitting his spots, and his change up is flashing average. He's dominated AA, and should be moved up ASAP.
18(21).Bo Bichette||SS||Toronto

-I still dont fully trust Bichette. I dont think the power plays in the majors, and I think he will ultimately end up at second or in left. His hit tool is what plays, and its a damn good hit tool, and I am talking myself out of him being this high.
17(17).Taylor Trammell||OF||Cincinnati

-Still waiting on the power. It still hasnt shown up. He walks at an elite level. His Ks are manageable. His defense is above average to very good. The power needs to show, and he needs to get the average above Bryce Harper levels.
16(16).Alex Kirilloff||OF||Minnesota

-His numbers are good for a 21 year old in AA, but they arent great, especially if he has to move to left. He needs more power, and the Ks are a bit higher than last year in his two A ball spots. Its the difference between a good and great player.
15(11).Jesus Luzardo||LHP||Oakland

-19 innings is all he has pitched this year because of injuries. It could be worrisome, but his 12 innings in AAA in 2019 is better than his 16 in AAA in 2018. Thats enough to keep the uber athletic Luzardo high on the list of prospects.
14(15).Kyle Tucker||OF||Houston

-Im not going to give numbers for Tucker. He is playing well in his second season in AAA. He needs to be traded. He will never play for the Astros. Their front office has done everything to prove that in the past 10 months. He needs to be a major league bat somewhere in August.
13(35).Cristian Pache||OF||Atlanta

-Possibly the best defensive center fielder in all of baseball at the age of 20. He already has 25 2b, 6 3b, and 11 HR in AA so far. He didnt hit his first professional home run until 2018. He is learning and adapting at an amazingly fast level.
12(30).Drew Waters||OF||Atlanta

-Waters is hitting almost .450 in July. Compared to his teammate Pache, he has 29 2B, 9 3B, and 5 HR in AA. He can be a good center fielder, and will possibly be a great right fielder with Pache in center. He also knows how to steal bases. He is a complete player.
11(9).Forrest Whitley||RHP||Houston

-Whitley has potentially 4 plus pitches. He threw 26 innings last year because of a suspension and injury, and now he has only thrown 24 innings in AA before being sent to camp in Arizona. No one should be worried just quite yet, but he was atrocious in Round Rock this year.

• Like 2