Devils Top Prospects(2019 Midseason Complete)

devils1854

On 6/29/2019 at 6:31 AM, devils1854 said:

I dont like putting prospects on my list if they havent played yet at all, so in the preseason, I kept off Marco Luciano. San Francisco threw out lots of money to land him, and the buzz was strong in the spring. He's finally playing in the AZL Rookie league, and after 9 games, he needs to be moved up. 34 at bats. 3 HR, 2 2B, 1 3B, 7 BB.  He will stick at short, and he could be a Gold Glover, along with potentially having one of the best bats at the position. Depending on what he does the rest of the year, and where, he could have a giant leap in the rankings at the end of the season.

this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy 

These are great breakdowns, and obviously takes a lot of time and effort. Kudos to you @devils1854. It also doesnt hurt that your avy is so damn easy to look at

10 hours ago, N4L said:

These are great breakdowns, and obviously takes a lot of time and effort. Kudos to you @devils1854. It also doesnt hurt that your avy is so damn easy to look at

Luciano has been the talk of Arizona.  Like, "future #1 prospect in all of baseball" type talk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Luciano has been the talk of Arizona.  Like, "future #1 prospect in all of baseball" type talk.

Yeah, I heard zaidi (giants pobo) say that it's the same thing that happened when trout stepped on to the field at AZL, as in, you can tell right away he's making it to the show 

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Love reading these! I know a good amount about scouting NFL prospects but I don't know the 1st thing about baseball prospects or what to look for in terms of good technique in both pitching and batting

Fangraphs has a scouting primer if you're interested in more of the "how too".

On 7/12/2019 at 3:22 AM, N4L said:

76 ABs, .342/.438/.724, 7 HR, 6 2B, 1 3B, 11/19 BB/K

I know the Giants are slow moving with their prospects(Bart destroyed R ball last year and was kept there), so I dont think Luciano will be moved up this year, even though he should at least be moved to Salem.

Pic is Jade Jackson. A California outlaw country singer. I love her.

• Like 1

10(4).Royce Lewis||SS||Minnesota

Lewis was the most talented player I saw in person last year, but reports are that he is absolutely lost in Florida. He's changed his swing and he just looks lost according to reports. I still believe in him, and I think getting out of the FSL will only help him.
9(7).Dylan Cease||RHP||Chicago White Sox

If Lewis was the most impressive player I saw last year, Cease was the most impressive pitcher. The new ball in AAA has hurt him a little. Walks have been slightly up, but the K rate is still over 9 and he is getting BABIP'd to death in Charlotte.
8(10).Carter Kieboom||SS||Washington

Kieboom was awful in his small cup of coffee in Washington earlier this year, but Im not concerned. He will be the starting 3B next year for them, and I expect a ROY type season. He is a on base machine that could be able to hit 20+ home runs a year.
7(12).Keston Hiura||2B||Milwaukee

Hiura is about to lose his prospect eligibility in a week or so. He is on his second stint in Milwaukee and there is almost no chance he gets sent back down. K's are way too high right now, but the power is playing better in the majors that I projected.
6(20).Gavin Lux||SS||Los Angeles Dodgers

The national media is finally catching up to the talent of Lux. He dominated AA. HR, SB, BB, K's. All elite in a half season. He's been in AAA for 9 games now and he is almost hitting .500. He should find a role somewhere in the Dodgers infield next year.
5(110).Luis Robert||OF||Chicago White Sox

Damn, was I wrong. Robert might be the best prospect in all of baseball. If someone said so, I would not argue. He hit 2 home runs in his first game of AAA yesterday. With his size, I do wonder if he will move to left soon. He is jacked. I stood next to him a couple weeks ago, and I was surprised just how big and muscular he is.
4(18).Casey Mize||RHP||Detroit

Mize has given up 8 earned runs in almost 80 innings this year. Everyone knew just how polished he was coming out of Auburn, and that let him dominate lower levels, but he was just as good in AA before his injury. He could be a good pitcher in the majors right now. The only thing that is concerning is that he hasnt struck out a lot of guys at any stop so far in his short career.
3(3).Wander Franco||SS||Tampa Bay

I'm sorry. Ive seen Franco play around 10 times in Bowling Green this year, and he is not impressive at all. Yes, the numbers are there. He doesnt strike out. He walks. He is very compact right now as a 18 year old. I dont think there is any chance that he stays at short once he ages in a couple years. I dont believe in the power because of his swing. He will get hits. He will get on base. He wont strike out. He will probably be an above average second baseman, but he isnt a once in a generation player like Acuna or Guerrero Jr.
2(6).Jo Adell||OF||Los Angeles Angels

Adell has the ceiling of a Acuna or a Vlad. He has 30+ HR power. He walks. He doesnt strike out. He has the speed and athleticism to stick in center. He isnt a savant like Acuna or Vlad, so his name isnt being thrown out as much, but he legitimately has 5 tools. I honestly think that i should have him as the #1 prospect......
1(14).MacKenzie Gore||LHP||San Diego

A lefty with a plus fastball, plus curve, a change up that flashes plus, plus command, and a deceptive delivery from the left side. Could he be the next Kershaw? Its possible. Its hard having a pitcher at the number one spot, but this kid is special, and has gotten even better with each level so far in his career. The Padres can turn things around in 2020, and he will be one of the biggest reasons.

Most impressive players Ive seen in person this year

• Keston Hiura-San Antonio
  • Jordan Groshans-Lansing
  • Matthew Liberatore-Bowling Green
  • Ibandel Isabel-Chattanooga
  • Jazz Chisholm-Jackson
  • Drew Waters-Mississippi
  • Lucas Sims-Louisville
  • Yordan Alvarez-Round Rock
  • Genesis Cabrera-Memphis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

• Jazz Chisholm-Jackson
  • Lucas Sims-Louisville

Why do you think Cabrera’s struggled so much this season down in Memphis? 

Also, gonna make me sound like a homer but I think Dylan Carlson should be higher. 

Questions:

No Deivi Garcia in the top 150? Are you thinking he is a BP arm eventually? I think I saw Law has him mid-season top 50, and he's a notorious short pitcher hater, so I'd assumed that his being projected for rotation long term was basically consensus. I haven't had time to dig on him much so I'd love to know the case behind him being a reliever long term.

Same question on George Valera. I've seen a ton of work putting him and Julio Rodriguez in a tier together and Julio was in your top 25. Do you think the power never comes around on Valera to match the plate approach?

Couple Orioles related questions as a Baltimore fan

1.) Hall over G-Rod, what's your reasons behind it?  G-Rod was Pipeline's top jumper through the rankings and is now ahead of Hall, and I see Hall has some control issues to work out still.  

2.) With the whole mess with Davis/Mancini/Nunez on the MLB roster, what is going to be Mountcastle's position when he comes up?  I'm thinking it has to be LF, but man that's going to be rough defensively.  

3.) Who would be the 2-3 next Orioles prospects who are outside of your 150? 

Great list by the way, and thanks for all the work you've put into it. 

Edited by naptownskinsfan

23 hours ago, devils1854 said:

3(3).Wander Franco||SS||Tampa Bay

I'm sorry. Ive seen Franco play around 10 times in Bowling Green this year, and he is not impressive at all. Yes, the numbers are there. He doesnt strike out. He walks. He is very compact right now as a 18 year old. I dont think there is any chance that he stays at short once he ages in a couple years. I dont believe in the power because of his swing. He will get hits. He will get on base. He wont strike out. He will probably be an above average second baseman, but he isnt a once in a generation player like Acuna or Guerrero Jr.

Shoot your shot and you've seen him live when I haven't, but man this is bold. He's an 18 year old who can play SS now, shouldn't change radically physically, who is raking at high A instead of playing HS ball.

Also nailed the Gore #1. I'm on board with him as the best pitching prospect in the minors. Absolute monster.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:48 AM, devils1854 said:

• Jazz Chisholm-Jackson
  • Lucas Sims-Louisville

Is Waters a possible trade prospect?