Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh I know. Just trying to get you guys to finally admit that you were wrong about something and overreacted when you first saw the contract but I knew that’d be too much to ask.

I guess I’m the only one who’s required.

They’ve actually done a lot of what the Curmudgeon Cave wanted them to do this offseason.  

Oh for ****'s sake ...

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Oh I know. Just trying to get you guys to finally admit that you were wrong about something and overreacted when you first saw the contract but I knew that’d be too much to ask.

They’ve actually done a lot of what the Curmudgeon Cave wanted them to do this offseason.  

We did that yesterday, man.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The evaluation is still way too high for a box safety, a position that does not age well in the NFL. 

The Curmudgeon Cave folks wanted Alex Smith's contract  purged this off-season, so I don't think they've done a lot of what they wanted.  

The club under Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden does an impressive job at treading water at 7-9 wins, and with a good draft they could get back there even with the retreads under center we have right now.  But treading water is what none of us should want.  

46 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The evaluation is still way too high for a box safety, a position that does not age well in the NFL. 

The Curmudgeon Cave folks wanted Alex Smith's contract  purged this off-season, so I don't think they've done a lot of what they wanted.  

The club under Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden does an impressive job at treading water at 7-9 wins, and with a good draft they could get back there even with the retreads under center we have right now.  But treading water is what none of us should want.  

The Curmudgeon Cave never wanted Alex Smith to begin with lol

But yes, I was all in favor of blowing things up. And we still have enough young talent to where you could blow it up and still come out looking good in a year or two. This is why I've been so adamant about drafting a QB in the first round. The way this team is currently constructed makes it almost impossible to land inside the top 5 of the draft. We will perpetually be picking somewhere between 12-20. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Curmudgeon Cave never wanted Alex Smith to begin with lol

But yes, I was all in favor of blowing things up. And we still have enough young talent to where you could blow it up and still come out looking good in a year or two. This is why I've been so adamant about drafting a QB in the first round. The way this team is currently constructed makes it almost impossible to land inside the top 5 of the draft. We will perpetually be picking somewhere between 12-20. 

I wasn't here then.  But I would say I didn't want Smith either.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The label of ”just a box safety” doesn't fit with Collins. He does more than just play the run, he's one of the best all-around safeties in the NFL. We got a great safety, we should be happy about it and his contract is not a cap killer no matter what the face value says. 

You keep saying that a SS doesn't age well in the NFL by using a few examples, I can pull out some SS’s who had very long careers in the NFL, were pro bowl players and all pro players and won super bowls.

• Troy Polamalu, Lawyer Milloy and Bernard Pollard come to mind just off the top of my head.

I don't think your narrative fits and again, Collins is 5 years younger than Earl Thomas and 2 years younger than Mathieu and some other free agent safeties. There's also safeties still available who've played both SS & FS like Mike Mitchell who we could sign amongst others that I listed a few pages back.

I'd rather have a 25 year old safety who yes, is coming off shoulder surgery but he's never torn an ACL it broken his leg twice like the other guys who got huge deals.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The label of ”just a box safety” doesn't fit with Collins. He does more than just play the run, he's one of the best all-around safeties in the NFL. We got a great safety, we should be happy about it and his contract is not a cap killer no matter what the face value says. 

You keep saying that a SS doesn't age well in the NFL by using a few examples, I can pull out some SS’s who had very long careers in the NFL, were pro bowl players and all pro players and won super bowls.

• Troy Polamalu, Lawyer Milloy and Bernard Pollard come to mind just off the top of my head.

I don't think your narrative fits and again, Collins is 5 years younger than Earl Thomas and 2 years younger than Mathieu and some other free agent safeties. There's also safeties still available who've played both SS & FS like Mike Mitchell who we could sign amongst others that I listed a few pages back.

I'd rather have a 25 year old safety who yes, is coming off shoulder surgery but he's never torn an ACL it broken his leg twice like the other guys who got huge deals.

Just agree to disagree with these guys on this topic. 

13 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Just agree to disagree with these guys on this topic. 

I hear yea, but it's literally not possible as you'll learn. Almost every move the organization makes most of this forum will.be negative on before even giving it a chance to succeed. It becomes exhausting.

Its like they'd rather do nothing at all, then something to try and make the team better. As I said earlier in this thread, they'll complain if we sign a high priced FA and they'll complain if we sign a few mid-tier free agents that add up to the same amount as the one top tier free agent.

You just can't have it both ways! If you want it both ways, you end up complaining about everything move the team makes, which honestly most people in this forum do on the regular.

I just thought of another SS who was awesome and had great careers, Brian Dawkins and Daren Woodson. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

I hear yea, but it's literally not possible as you'll learn. Almost every move the organization makes most of this forum will.be negative on before even giving it a chance to succeed. It becomes exhausting.

I just thought of another SS who was awesome and had great careers, Brian Dawkins and Daren Woodson. 

And they played when Safeties could actually hit in the league. Just was tryna give some friendly advice. 

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

And they played when Safeties could actually hit in the league. Just was tryna give some friendly advice. 

Oh I know you are. I'm just saying it wouldn't matter if I agreed to disagree or not. I've been on this board for 17 years - really active and sometimes not very active -  people will always find something to be angry about.

Archived