Browns Go WR Shopping

OhioG

I personally don't think we'll get a WR who will contribute much at all this year, but like I've said countless times, we definitely need one going forward to pair with (hopefully he's solid/stays healthy) Coleman and Njoku (assuming he's as good as we think). We need a big bodied possession/total package/red zone threat on the outside for sure.

If Kizer looks solid this year with the below average weapons at his disposal (hopefully our OL is as good as advertised), then he's probably a franchise level QB going forward.

If he plays like hot garbage (I hope not obviously), then a Franchise QB is Priority 1 and Franchise game changing offensive weapons are Priority 2 in 2018 and beyond. 5 draft picks in the first 2 rounds is definitely the way to address that as well.

Njoku is looking like the freakish athlete that is struggling mightily to learn the NFL game, as evidenced by his 3rd string status.  We need the light to flick on for both he and Devalve to make our offense semi potent.  It doesn't look like its happening for a while with either so we struggle.

Regarding next year, it all hinges on Kizer, no pressure lol.  If he shows signs, we need to devote the entire first 2 rounds to WR and DBs.  If he looks lost without much promise, we will need to use our highest pick on a QB as that will mean we have not won many games and a blue chipper should still be on the board with either our pick or the Texans pick, whichever is higher, then use the rest on WRs and DBs.

Re: Njoku.

TE is one of the hardest positions in the NFL at which to adjust to the pro game. Even generational talents like Gronk and Graham weren't themselves their rookie years. I'm willing to give both Devalve and Njoku time and assume that one or both grow into their talent. Especially since Njoku is one of the 5-10 youngest players in the league this year.

3 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Re: Njoku.

TE is one of the hardest positions in the NFL at which to adjust to the pro game. Even generational talents like Gronk and Graham weren't themselves their rookie years. I'm willing to give both Devalve and Njoku time and assume that one or both grow into their talent. Especially since Njoku is one of the 5-10 youngest players in the league this year.

Thats all well and good, but this is year 2 for Devalve, and Njoku was a round 1 blue chipper, and we need at least one of them to ball out right away.

2 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Thats all well and good, but this is year 2 for Devalve, and Njoku was a round 1 blue chipper, and we need at least one of them to ball out right away.

Why? We aren't getting into the playoffs this year, it's clear the FO is still taking the long view (5 picks in the first two rounds next year), I don't know why we would be in a hurry. Sure, I'd love for one of them to show flashes, but that's about all I'm expecting.

5 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Why? We aren't getting into the playoffs this year, it's clear the FO is still taking the long view (5 picks in the first two rounds next year), I don't know why we would be in a hurry. Sure, I'd love for one of them to show flashes, but that's about all I'm expecting.

its-my-money-and-i-need-it-now.jpg

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

If you haven't noticed, we almost perpetually have 2 round 1 picks, and its not worked out yet.  I love the direction of Sashi and crew, year 1 was the complete tear down, year 2 they need to make marked improvement.  Now I am not saying they will fire everyone if they don't, or that I would want them to, but they need to show signs of progress, period.  After all, think about it, last year was year 1 of the rebuild, and they fired the DC.  Haslam may say he is patient, I am not buying it myself.

2 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

If you haven't noticed, we almost perpetually have 2 round 1 picks, and its not worked out yet.  I love the direction of Sashi and crew, year 1 was the complete tear down, year 2 they need to make marked improvement.  Now I am not saying they will fire everyone if they don't, or that I would want them to, but they need to show signs of progress, period.  After all, think about it, last year was year 1 of the rebuild, and they fired the DC.  Haslam may say he is patient, I am not buying it myself.

If you would've kept Horton over Williams to prove a point of consistency your insane. 

If you haven't seen us go from a 0-4 preseason to 3-0 and don't call that improvement your insane. 

If you've seen Myles Garrett play this preseason and don't think he's an improvement over last year your insane 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

If you would've kept Horton over Williams to prove a point of consistency your insane. 

If you haven't seen us go from a 0-4 preseason to 3-0 and don't call that improvement your insane. 

If you've seen Myles Garrett play this preseason and don't think he's an improvement over last year your insane 

I never said I would have fired Horton, I said its a sign that Haslam is not as patient as he says.

Preseason means nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing.  Teams have won tons of preseason games throughout the history of the NFL and gone on to suck, conversely teams have lost out in the preseason and went on to have winning seasons.

I have seen Garrett, of course he is an improvement, that however is pretty irrelevant to the point that I made.

The point is, a round 1 pick is not a round 1 pick to be a project in most cases unless he is a QB.  Njoku is no exception to that rule.

A previous poster pointed out the difficulty of the transition of TE in the NFL, I was pointing out that Devalve is in year 2.

We need at least one of these guys to step up in a huge way, preferably both ala Gronk and Hernandez back in the day for the Pats.

I just disagree strongly on the timeline. We need to see progress from the team as a whole, for sure, and the TE's are part of that, but your quote was we need one of them to "ball out immediately", and I just don't buy that. We need progress, flashes of their potential and value, etc. But we don't need one of them to be an instant star to get an approximation of their value.

The thing is, we have a rookie QB that everyone is hanging their hopes and dreams on.  Our offense is anemic at best.  No one wants to ruin him.  For that to happen, we need at least one of these guys to ball out and be a very good and reliable safety outlet.  The timeline is most definitely now.

8 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

The thing is, we have a rookie QB that everyone is hanging their hopes and dreams on.  Our offense is anemic at best.  No one wants to ruin him.  For that to happen, we need at least one of these guys to ball out and be a very good and reliable safety outlet.  The timeline is most definitely now.

Kizer played with scrubs at ND last year. As long as Coleman plays like he did and Devalve stays healthy Kizer will be fine. 

Josh Gordon is coming back we'll be fine 

Archived