2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

The thing I think I'm picking up on most is that Gruden didn't trust Reggie. Like at all. Lots of our operations did not seem like McKenzie moves. Especially some of the impulsive ones. Martavies Bryant for example. Reggie HATES trading draft picks willy nilly. And you know he'd never make some of the other moves we made.

Gruden has much more respect for Mayock, and it's been evident with some of our recent transactions. Some of which, I really like. So far, I'm not unhappy with the job they've done this year.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

The thing I think I'm picking up on most is that Gruden didn't trust Reggie. Like at all. Lots of our operations did not seem like McKenzie moves. Especially some of the impulsive ones. Martavies Bryant for example. Reggie HATES trading draft picks willy nilly. And you know he'd never make some of the other moves we made.

Gruden has much more respect for Mayock, and it's been evident with some of our recent transactions. Some of which, I really like. So far, I'm not unhappy with the job they've done this year.

It was clear that Gruden and Reggie didn't like each other from the jump. Gruden almost cut or traded every single one of Reggie's guys and the few that he did keep had trouble seeing the field last year. Mayock doesn't get hired with Gruden's co-sign and approval. 

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Here is a link to an article.  Not much substance to it so I wouldn't put much credibility into it but regardless it appears Howard is on the block.  

What is most impressive about Howard are his rushing numbers on some pretty terrible Bear's O's.  He was facing stacked boxes for the last few years as no one has any respect for Trashbinski and he produced pretty well before last season's scheme change.   

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/nfl-rumors-bears-approached-multiple-teams-about-jordan-howard-trade

You're the only one who doesn't have respect for Trubisky! Trubisky 1 Frankie 0

Edited by raidr4life

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It was clear that Gruden and Reggie didn't like each other from the jump. Gruden almost cut or traded every single one of Reggie's guys and the few that he did keep had trouble seeing the field last year. Mayock doesn't get hired with Gruden's co-sign and approval. 

The point I'm trying to make is that Mayock doesn't seem like a puppet. We aren't seeing the same bull crap Gruden pulled last year yet.

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

The point I'm trying to make is that Mayock doesn't seem like a puppet. We aren't seeing the same bull crap Gruden pulled last year yet.

Definitely. Our trades and negotiations have been A1 this offseason. AB's agent praised Mayock recently too.

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It is amazing how as the draft progresses analyst on TV can call a lot of the picks.  Nobody can know for certain but when you do your homework you an take a good educated guess.  If all we have is Mauro and Key what do you think the chances are that we are taking DE early and often.  IF a team is targeting this position or a certian player at this position they may jump on a deal to pick ahead of us.  If their guess is correct, most likely will be, we could lose out on players we want.  Do not say Gruden said we were targeting that player the entire time.  It is BS and what coaches and GMs say all the time.  At 4 it will not matter much but if Gary and Ferrel are dropping to 24 that will be a signal to teams to jump ahead of us if that who is they are targeting.  Since we have shown our hands we will know that we need to trade up to grab them and we will unnecessarily use other draft assets to get the player we want.

You give analyst too much credit they are mostly wrong, The Raiders needed LB badly the last 2 years for sure yet we didn't take one, because nobody knows what we will do, because we haven't signed a DE as of yet is not showing our hand, actually now that I think about it we could take the LB from LSU since Mayock has been the exact opposite of Reggie!

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Definitely. Our trades and negotiations have been A1 this offseason. AB's agent praised Mayock recently too.

I wouldn't say A1 but I did love how we didn't flinch and overpay for Brown in the trade

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Mayock was brought in with Grudens approval but unlike Reggie, Mayock is the boss. No doubt in my mind he has final say and will tell Jon no. Reggie was a puppet. 

I'm not sure I would go that far yet but I definitely agree we're seeing a lot more collaboration. Hard to say where the line is drawn from the outside looking in. Excited to see how the draft pans out.

6 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I wouldn't say A1 but I did love how we didn't flinch and overpay for Brown in the trade

I would. At face value, the Williams, T Brown, and Joyner deals look like overpays but they're all basically here on prove it deals. We signed 3 key pieces from elite teams that are going into their primes on team friendly deals. We can cut Williams/Joyner after next season with no cap implications and can cut T Brown after two seasons with no cap implications. If that's not A1 negotiating then I don't know what is. 

7 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

You give analyst too much credit they are mostly wrong, The Raiders needed LB badly the last 2 years for sure yet we didn't take one, because nobody knows what we will do, because we haven't signed a DE as of yet is not showing our hand, actually now that I think about it we could take the LB from LSU since Mayock has been the exact opposite of Reggie!

So we will just sacrifice another year because we would prove that they can not predict who we are going to draft?  We need three DE and at least 2 need to be starting quality.  Chances of getting one outside the first is very small and past the 2nd since we do not have a 3rd is almost nothing.  They could develop over time but year 1 starters probably not.  So now we have 4 picks within the first 35 choices and we need at least 2 DE and 1 LB.  Good luck fooling anyone.  I wonder how many sacks we have next year with Key and Mauro as our starters.  Our starters would have 4 sacks in 75 career games.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I would. At face value, the Williams, T Brown, and Joyner deals look like overpays but they're all basically here on prove it deals. We signed 3 key pieces from elite teams that are going into their primes on team friendly deals. We can cut Williams/Joyner after next season with no cap implications and can cut T Brown after two seasons with no cap implications. If that's not A1 negotiating then I don't know what is. 

The Williams deal is good but I do not like the Joyner structure.  No way we cut him after this year and if we do we are paying him $17 million for 1 year.  His roster bonus next year is already guaranteed.  We just do not pay him until the 3rd day of the 2020 league year.  I do not like paying players hoping the regain there form.  He should have received less on a 1 year deal and if he proved himself then received a deal similar to what we gave him.  HaHa and Ward's contracts are prove it deals and if you want a multi year contract that is really a one year deal look at Weddle's.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Yes we do need a lot of DEs and Mayock is not taking a guy out of his projected place. Dudes obsessed with value. Wonder if he would turn 4 and 24 somehow into like 11 and 16. Could double dip Burns and Ferrell. Would love that draft. 

My point was if we are sitting at 16 waiting for Ferrel and the Giants want a DE they know they need to get to 15 as soon as the Redskins are on the clock.  It does not cost that much and they secure the prospect they are targeting.  Now we have to draft a DE that we have ranked in the back end of the first or try to trade back to a spot we think has better value.  We are desperate and except whatever is offered so we get something.  We also risk losing out on that player so we repeat the cycle.  Eventually we are not drafting BPA because we have the choice of grabbing a back up at another position or finally addressing a position of dire need.  BPA is a good strategy but sometimes you have to factor in need.  Guenther will go ballistic if we do not get him some help.  He has zero chance if we tie one of his arms behind his back again.  Its just game theory combined with common sense.

55 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The Williams deal is good but I do not like the Joyner structure.  No way we cut him after this year and if we do we are paying him $17 million for 1 year.  His roster bonus next year is already guaranteed.  We just do not pay him until the 3rd day of the 2020 league year.  I do not like paying players hoping the regain there form.  He should have received less on a 1 year deal and if he proved himself then received a deal similar to what we gave him.  HaHa and Ward's contracts are prove it deals and if you want a multi year contract that is really a one year deal look at Weddle's.

Joyner played well last season just not at an elite level but didn't he move from a FS role to more of a slot CB role?