Packers signing former DEN OG Billy Turner (4 years $28M, $11M in Year 1)

FAH1223

good signing.  This OL was better with Jahri Evans than the revolving door of last year's Gs, and I'm expecting it to get back to that level, if not better with Turner.

Also like that it puts more competition out there at LG, where Lane Taylor has been... fine.

Looking on Spotrac he has the 20th highest contract for a guard yet his guarantees is very low in comparison. He's 7 places above Lane Taylor and we all remember how unproven Taylor was when we gave him his contract, right after we cut Sitton if I remember correctly. Turner is a bit like that and for a lower level guard his contract is cheap in the grand scheme of things and we have him locked through his peak years. Can't complain too much about that.

However on a year to year basis I don't feel he will be an easy cut dead cap-wise, has sizable dead cap hits over the next three years. If anything it shows we are fully committed to him moving forward. Big part of our plans for sure.

By the way he definitely changed since the Combine.

wpid-20141219__141220_vikings_turner.jpg

From an awkward looking geezer to this:

51147013_822799508065944_280348529561937

His confidence is certainly showing. His fashion has improved.

15 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i'm watching his interview from today and it looks like he put hella glitter in his beard lol 

He totally did,

I love having quirky personalities on our OL. He should be a good fit.

Ha,Ha,Ha...

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I love having quirky personalities on our OL. He should be a good fit.

...Bakhtiari remains, but I think most of the quirkiness left with Sitton and TJ.

That written, I couldn’t care less about his fashionista inclinations if he comes in and starts knocking defenders on their a$$!

On 3/12/2019 at 10:21 AM, Joe said:

That opens up options within the draft. I'm wondering if we plan on trading up for one big prospect vs. sticking at 12 and 30.

Gives the Pack options for sure.   Draft can be (more) about depth now...  andor BPA.    I love the move!

This guy is everything I wanted in an offensive lineman that we would have taken in the draft.  Starter at guard, backup at tackle.  Good contract, great guy to have on the o-line.  He's gonna become one of my favorite Packers with that Minnesota quote.  

And yes, 100 times, yes, what GB did in free agency gives them just a ton of options in this draft.  Love it.

Archived