49ers sign Tevin Coleman RB

49erurtaza

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

The Patriots proved to me that it’s perfectly normal to have a 3 headed backfield. It only makes it harder to gameplan against when there’s always a different threat. I’m fine with this move, at least it’s not Alfred Morris or Doug Martin 

That three headed backfield cost them 7 million in cap hits. Ours will cost us almost 20 million. 

This is somewhat idiotic roster building at this point. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Deal doesn’t cost much tbh.

but why?

Why not? He's cheap and neither McKinnon nor Breida had a great track record of health as professionals. We now have 3 capable RBs who are very interchangeable... what's not to like? My take is they don't want to rely on McKinnon as RBs usually come back slowly from ACLs whose names are not Adrian Peterson. Coleman knows the scheme, has plenty of speed and is a underrated pass-catcher. First move I can completely get behind..

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

True...but our two undrafted free agents last year ran for 5.3 and 7.7 yards per carry. Meanwhile, we have three other dudes in the backfield making 5+ million a piece. 

You can't really count Juice as a RB though. Yeah I know he's a FB by trade but he's essentially a pass-catching H-Back in this scheme.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That three headed backfield cost them 7 million in cap hits. Ours will cost us almost 20 million. 

Not sure where you’re getting your #s but spotrac indicates otherwise. I count around 12m for SF and 9m for NE. Really not worth fussing over 

unless your including Juice, which is another story in itself imo

Just now, 757-NINER said:

You can't really count Juice as a RB though. Yeah I know he's a FB by trade but he's essentially a pass-catching H-Back in this scheme.

Yep, 5 million to a fullback. Dallas just signed a full back who's entire 3 year contract is worth less than we are paying juice this year lol. 

Doesn't make me feel any better about this front office knowing what they are doing. The net gain in nominal with this signing, meanwhile we are going to bring back Jimmie Ward to be not very good and get hurt 5 games into the season. 

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Not sure where you’re getting your #s but spotrac indicates otherwise. I count around 12m for SF and 9m for NE. Really not worth fussing over 

unless your including Juice, which is another story in itself imo

I am including juice. I'm using last years numbers for the Pats though, so that may be the difference with NE. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I honestly think the price difference is an example of inflation for free agency.  Contracts that are going to mid-level players are beating deals given to top players 5 years ago.  It's like that one year where NBA deals took a crazy jump with new league-wide deals.

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah but in limited sample size, Coleman is also substantially better than everyone not named Breida. 

At the cost, I’m fine with this. Doesn’t do much for me but not a lot of downside at the moment.

yeah, that's how I feel. 

He is a solid player who knows the system that we signed to a reasonable contract. 

I still have no ****ing clue what we are trying to accomplish this offseason

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, 5 million to a fullback. Dallas just signed a full back who's entire 3 year contract is worth less than we are paying juice this year lol. 

Doesn't make me feel any better about this front office knowing what they are doing. The net gain in nominal with this signing, meanwhile we are going to bring back Jimmie Ward to be not very good and get hurt 5 games into the season. 

I'm hoping ward signs with a team that isn't the Niners here soon so we can't bring him back lol

Just now, PapaShogun said:

He's still overpaid for his role though. 

That was two years ago....at some point you have to get over Juice's contract. It is what it is. Dude is a baller and does ALOT in terms of the scheme and creating mismatches elsewhere on the field because of his receiving prowless. Not to mention he's still a helluva of a run-blocker. 

Archived