2019 RDT

DreamKid

48 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

yo @AFlaccoSeagulls, has ET always been that bulked? looks like a linebacker out there.

Wink calls him to the LOS quite often in run support (too often for my liking) so just wondering if the told him to bulk up.

which would make me question the football IQ of the guys in charge.

A quick google search tells me: Yes.

He's always been pretty bulky and still really fast and athletic. I absolutely question why we're having him play around the LoS and having Jefferson deep at any point in the game, but if we're being honest, Jefferson is a liability anywhere he's at on the field right now. 

I don't have no rap for Earl Thomas. He told us he quit on a play. Until he does something of importance, he's dead to me. And I agree, I'm not understanding why Jefferson isn't playing around the LoS and Thomas playing center field. They need to put Elliot in and tell Jefferson we appreciate your services and wish you well with your future endeavors. At this point, I'm willing to part with all our draft picks for some semblance of a pass rush, too.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:02 AM, BareYourTeeth said:

Here's something we can do so our defense doesn't suck:

RE: Judon/Williams
NT: Williams/Pierce/Mack
DT: Wormley/Ricard
LE: McPhee/Ferguson
WLB: Levine/Young
MLB: Onwuasor/Fort
SLB: Board/Bowser

RCB: Canady
FS: Thomas
SS: Clark (green dot)
NCB: Carr
LCB: Humphrey

The smartest, most motivated, fundamentally sound, hardest workers on the field. I know it's not going to happen but I still wanted to get it out there.

Maybe I’m misreading this info. But no way am I not including both Michael Pierce and Brandon Williams upfront we consistently see a decline in play when they’re both not in. Those two alone can close rushing lanes and allow us to play smaller on the back end.

Everything else I agree with FTMP. Not really a fan of starting Canady. He had an interception in that game but has been abused as well because he’s so slow now. But hey, at least he can get his head around.

I think my most favored alignment/unit would be:

Obvious Run Down/Obvious Pass Down

RE: Ferguson/Bowser (he can rush and drop into coverage making him a good piece)
NT: Pierce/Ricard
DT: Williams/McPhee
LE: Judon/Williams
WLB: Anthony Levine (he can play a joker type role as a NCB, WLB, and safety hybrid)
MLB: Onwuasor (3 down, great blitz piece)
SLB: Board/Young (quality coverage and blitz, but not as disciplined against runs)

RCB: Carr
FS: Thomas
SS: Clark (green dot)
DS: Deshon Elliot/Maurice Canady
LCB: Humphrey

Thomas is great in coverage and would be an excellent deep ball deterrent but he’s also our best tackler in the secondary and great in run support. He’s been trying to use his instincts and sometimes it bites us and sometimes it doesn't. Thus I’d rather run more big nickel and then when we go dime we run with 4 safeties playing zone defense with our two corners in man coverage against the opposing teams biggest offensive threats.

So we’re talking against the Browns we remove Jefferson for Clark. We run Carr on Jarvis and Marlon on OBJ. Everyone else operates in zone.

We have Bowser, Levine, Peanut, Young, Thomas, and Elliot as versatile pieces that we could mix blitz pressure with coverage ability. That way we can use these options to keep the defense off balance as to where the rush is coming on obvious passing downs. Ideally Young and Elliot would rotate in depending on if the opposing offense has tight ends in the game or not. Elliot would become our deep ball deterrent and I think he would do very well in that role.

Why wouldn't we just give him Earl Thomas the green dot and call it a day? Clark/Levine/Jefferson/Elliott are all rotational pieces at this point. Nobody is rotating in for Earl Thomas, and if we play him deep on most plays his responsibilities are simple and he can relay the rest to the team.

The only reason I can't see this working is if Earl isn't knowledgeable enough about our system to make the calls.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why wouldn't we just give him Earl Thomas the green dot and call it a day? Clark/Levine/Jefferson/Elliott are all rotational pieces at this point. Nobody is rotating in for Earl Thomas, and if we play him deep on most plays his responsibilities are simple and he can relay the rest to the team.

The only reason I can't see this working is if Earl isn't knowledgeable enough about our system to make the calls.

I remember during the preseason games the commentators would note how Earl Thomas was still wearing a headset on the sidelines (when he wasn't playing) and trying to learn the plays because it was such a different scheme compared to what he was used to. My guess is he still hasn't learned everything and the coaching staff either doesn't trust him enough to give it to him (yet) or they don't want to overburden him with having to both learn the scheme on the fly AND have to make the calls on the field for the defense.

25 minutes ago, Danand said:

I find it a little difficult to take it seriously how “complicated” these schemes are. I have seen and read about NFL defensive schemes, and they are not that different from what I have tried.

I don't think it's so much basic concepts as much as it is verbiage, terminology, getting a feel for your teammates and just integrating into the overall environment/culture. Just because the underlying concepts are the same doesn't mean the way it is expressed isn't different between two organizations. I imagine when Thomas is used to hearing/seeing the same thing for the past 9 years, it's going to be a bit of a drastic change for him having to adapt to how things are called/structured by the Ravens. Now, how much of a learning curve that is and how long it should take to pick it all up, on the surface I would imagine it shouldn't take very long. However, I'm not an NFL player, so I can't really speak to that honestly. But from my experience in my profession, going from one organization to another and having to learn new technologies, processes, coworkers tendencies, etc. Even if you have the prerequisite skills needed to qualify for the position and the underlying knowledge to establish a foundation for success, it can still take upwards of months to fully feel comfortable/integrated with your environment and new duties. I figure the same applies here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I don't think it's so much basic concepts as much as it is verbiage, terminology, getting a feel for your teammates and just integrating into the overall environment/culture. Just because the underlying concepts are the same doesn't mean the way it is expressed isn't different between two organizations. I imagine when Thomas is used to hearing/seeing the same thing for the past 9 years, it's going to be a bit of a drastic change for him having to adapt to how things are called/structured by the Ravens. Now, how much of a learning curve that is and how long it should take to pick it all up, on the surface I would imagine it shouldn't take very long. However, I'm not an NFL player, so I can't really speak to that honestly. But from my experience in my profession, going from one organization to another and having to learn new technologies, processes, coworkers tendencies, etc. Even if you have the prerequisite skills needed to qualify for the position and the underlying knowledge to establish a foundation for success, it can still take upwards of months to fully feel comfortable/integrated with your environment and new duties. I figure the same applies here.

Yeah, I think this description of the issue is much more precise than calling the defensive scheme complicated. 

When you play with someone for a longer timer, you get more used to their style and you have a better understand of what they "read" during a play. That might be a factor as well, but I am still somewhat surprised of it still being an issue.

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I don't think it's so much basic concepts as much as it is verbiage, terminology, getting a feel for your teammates and just integrating into the overall environment/culture. Just because the underlying concepts are the same doesn't mean the way it is expressed isn't different between two organizations. I imagine when Thomas is used to hearing/seeing the same thing for the past 9 years, it's going to be a bit of a drastic change for him having to adapt to how things are called/structured by the Ravens.

Wink has specifically talked about simplifying and streamlining all of that stuff this offseason, and claimed great results too. He wanted new additions like Earl and our Rookies to have an easier time contributing right away. Maybe things aren't going as he planned?

15 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Adding onto this but 1) It’s actually psychologically proven that it takes longer to rebrand information than it is to brand information. A college player coming in is learning a more complicated playbook for the first time in their careers, but it’s mostly “all new”. For Thomas he’s having to fight instincts at every corner. Instincts typically take over in scenarios where you don’t have as much time to process, where leads me to my next point.

2) Not only are you making the calls, but you’re also having to read the opposing offense and the shifts they make and make defensive adjustments accordingly. Therefore you have to know the system top to bottom, know how you want to play all the scenarios, but you also have to be able to digest changes within a split second, relay that information, while getting to your assignment when the ball snaps. Against teams like the Cardinals and Chiefs that can be particularly difficult to do as they snap so quickly.

26 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I can't remember ever feeling a bleaker outlook for our defense.

Let's have the worst player on our defense call plays and be locked into 100% of the snaps. We should have just paid Mosley w/e it took if we had no plan B. Cap space is next to worthless.

I wonder how the coaching staff distinguish breakdowns in communication versus bad execution. It seems to me, that we twice have had a situation, where Humphrey didn't play his assignment properly and because Jefferson broke on the out route he looks like the villain.

But with his tackling, positioning and bad ankles to the ball carrier, Jefferson was at least the guy who failed on 3 big time plays against the Browns.  I really wonder where we stand with Chuck Clark and Deshon Elliot. Those two are both in their 3 and 2 season and also have to find more playing time so we know if they can be relied on.