49ers sign Jordan Matthews WR

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

How many WRs did we carry last year?

Right now we have pettis, Goodwin and Richie james locked into three spots. Bourne is probably going to make it and I don't see them getting rid of Taylor unless his back issue is a permanent one. That's five. Yeah I guess if we draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd that we probably wont have the space I guess

We carried 6 last year, but I'm actually not going to be surprised if we carry only 5 this year. One of these may be sacrificed due to the fact that

a) we may be carrying 3 quarterbacks instead of 2. 

b) we may carry 5 running backs instead of 4. While this one is slightly unlikely, I don' tknow that it's an impossibility that we keep the big 3 + Juice + Mostert (obviously for ST mostly)

C) we may be carrying more guys on the defensive front. We dumped Earl, but we picked up Ford. Street will be back from injury. We haven't lost anyone else yet, I think. Plus we are talking about drafting someone. 

Obviously way too early to make that kind of determination, but I Think those are all possibilities. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely on the outside. First highlight of the video. 

Oh yeah, definitely. I just remembered him making in the middle of the field, so I though maybe there was a chance he was in the slot. 

Thanks for posting

Yea there are several free agent WRs I’d prefer over this one. But our group has solid depth already especially if Goodwin and Taylor get back to 2017 health. I don’t expect Matthews to make the roster but hey at least we’re helping out Jerry’s Cousin

Maybe we’re trying to think outside the box and do something totally different from the rest of our pick ups here.  In this case we decided to get someone who’s shown some flashes but then had injury issues creating some huge question marks. 

Oh wait......

Dont mind the pick up at all, but starting to think the brain trust did something really bad and is just giving back second chances to the football community. Or did Lynch once have an injury and come back a couple years later better than ever? Gotta be something. 

I like this move. I’ve always liked Matthews going back to Vandy. I think he’s kind of got a raw deal the last couple of years, but I think he could be a very solid option for us. At this point in their careers I don’t really think there is any drop off of what Garcon would have given us and what Matthews will, in fact one could argue it is an improvement. It’s possible he doesn’t make the team, but I think if nothing else it really helps create competition at the Z spot with Bourne and a rookie.

Edit: I’m much more happy with this move than I would have been with Kearse.

I think this move depends on how we use him. If we expect him to stretch the field outside, then I don't think he beats out anyone already on the roster. If we use him as a big slot, similarly to how the Rams use Kupp and how Kelly used Matthews (98% aligned slot, 90% off LOS), we'll see if he can still do damage. Chip Kelly had him figured out and since then, coaches have been trying to make him into guys like Jeremy Maclin.

1 hour ago, typecast said:

Agholor up top. Torrey, Alshon, and Hollins from inside-out at the bottom. Matthews was in Buffalo in 2017.

We're talking about if Spoon made the INT covering the slot or from the outside, nothing about Matthews. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We're talking about if Spoon made the INT covering the slot or from the outside, nothing about Matthews. 

Ah, I see the conversation in the Verrett thread now. It was definitely out of place in this Matthews thread.

9 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Did not know he was a cousin to Jerry Rice. Said he visited the Bay Area a couple of times to see him play when he was a kid. Cool. 

Yeah, second cousin or something. It was talked a lot about during his draft year

Wouldn't surprise me if Matthews turns out to be one of the more underrated signings of all of free agency. I think his length and ability from the slot gives a different look to the offense and provides a bigger target than the rest of the WRs in the red-zone. Though he isn't your typical big red-zone threat as a WR, he could be used in a variety of ways in that area which could cause guys like Kittle and Pettis to exploit match-ups elsewhere. Not saying he's going to be a Pro Bowler or anything, but if he and Jimmy can develop good chemistry, he could become a nice new element to the passing game. 

I'd caution optimism with Matthews. He was traded with a 3rd round pick for Ronald Darby a few years back to the bills who needed receiving help, did nothing while in buffalo. later signed with New England when they needed receiving help and was released before training camp even started, then resigned with the eagles when they also were in dire need of receivers and he was largely irrelevant-especially in the second half of the season. His injury history is another thing working against him, and not someone we can expect any ST contributions from. I think some of you are remembering him as the prospect coming out of Vanderbilt (where I loved him too) but so far he's proven to be a bust. His hands are terrible, injuries plague him, and needed a heavy amount of targets to just put up mediocre numbers. 

I get there's a need for higher success in the redzone but truth be told I hope when the season comes around we can do better. 

Archived