Greater Tight End All-Time: Gonzo Or Gronk?

the lone star

Which Tight End Is Greater All-Time: Gonzo Or Gronk?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tight End Is Greater All-Time: Gonzo Or Gronk?

6 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Specifically gonna point this out. Gronk's blocking ability is equivalent to a pro bowl Guard. You never watched him block.

This. Gronk is legitimately someone that Belichick has put in some games specifically to run block or add more protection to Brady. 

Since Gonzalez is the main subject of this thread it's worth noting he was a poor blocker for a large chunk of his career and became passable at best later on. 

It's pretty much inconceivable that Gonzalez would ever be asked to do what Gronk did when it comes to blocking. It's a huge difference in Gronk's favor. And Gronk's also the better receiver. So again the real argument for Gonzalez is longeivity. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 1:06 AM, lancerman said:

Since Gonzalez is the main subject of this thread it's worth noting he was a poor blocker for a large chunk of his career and became passable at best later on.

False.  Never was he a poor blocker,  just was seldom used.  J Dunn was the Blocking TE and Tony G was the only real receiving threat so he rarely/never stayed in to pass block.  There are lots of highlights of KC RB's where Tony G had a key block when Roaf or Shields were pulling.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:26 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

So much this, it's pretty clear we have some youngins responding here that never saw peak Tony G play.  My goodness he and Gates are the reason we have Flex TEs like we do now.

Similarly, I'm not going to throw him into the conversation because too many people here are too young to actually have seen him play so it's not worth the time and effort making a case for him, Gates likely stays playing basketball and Gonzo devotes more of his time at Huntington Beach High School (and probably still gets recruited to Cal) as a linebacker, if there's no Kellen Winslow Sr.  Honestly, Gonzo might have stayed playing basketball as well if that were the case, since he was on scholarship with with the Cal football and basketball programs.

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

Similarly, I'm not going to throw him into the conversation because too many people here are too young to actually have seen him play so it's not worth the time and effort making a case for him, Gates likely stays playing basketball and Gonzo devotes more of his time at Huntington Beach High School (and probably still gets recruited to Cal) as a linebacker, if there's no Kellen Winslow Sr.  Honestly, Gonzo might have stayed playing basketball as well if that were the case, since he was on scholarship with with the Cal football and basketball programs.

You're not wrong.  Winslow, Sr was the original "rocked up wr" at TE, in an offense designed to feature him.

Gronk had by far the best peak and was the more talented and dominating player of the two. And that's just comparing their passing games. When you bring in blocking, which is a core responsibility of a TE, there's no comparison. Gronk was another lineman out there. Saying all that, I won't argue against Gonzo being considered the greatest at his position. He was healthy and available for more seasons than Gronk. Availability/longevity plays a big role, no denying that.

In truth, there might not be a right answer here. Both are top 3 ever. And that should probably be good enough. In their prime, a desperate QB is more than happy to lob one up to either one. 

What Gonzo accomplished with savvy and technique, Gronk accomplished with pure strength and God-given athleticism (technique too).

Both had A++ hands. Both also very genuine people. True Hall-of-Famers!

I have to go Gonzalez here. As everyone has said Gronk was the better player at his peak. He was a better receiver and blocker. However, he has less than half the catches Tony G had and barely over half the yards. That's a massive disparity. Is this skewed because of the games difference? Absolutely. But if you ask me to take 270 games of great/elite TE play vs. 115 of super elite when healthy, I'm taking the former. Availability is important and an extra 8 years of great play is a lot to pass up especially when Gronk was already beginning to look washed in year 9. Plus Gonzalez didn't play with Brady and started in an era with far less value of receiving TE's.

In the all time rankings I'd probably go:

1. Tony Gonzalez

2. Antonio Gates

3. Rob Gronkowski

Though obviously Gronk had the best peak of a TE ever.

Archived