Set for a Boone-tiful Life or sent to the Boonies?

swede700

I'd like to see Easton as the starter at LG. Let Boone and Berger get reps at RG and see who looks better. depth killed us last year, I'd prefer to keep Boone or Berger as the top backup. I hate that we continue to stifle Eastons opportunities for older, below average to mediocre players. 

Vikes still gain cap space if they cut him, not sure that salary should be a concern since dead cap is 3.4m compared to his cap hit of 6.7m.

I definitely agree that Easton should be a starting guard, just to see what he can do. Berger is the ideal backup, and Boone just hasn't been good. Lets see what the young guys can do. 

Reiff - Easton - Eiflein - Isidora - Remmers

Hill, Boone, Berger as backups

If things do not go well, I'd actually like to see them try this combo:

Hill - Easton - Elflein - Isidora - Reiff

That will give them an opportunity to see which of the 4 younger players are going to stick or have the potential to get better. We already know that Reiff can play on the right side and is going to be here for a while, why not let him stick there and see if Hill can play. That will also let them know how much draft capital needs to be used.

11 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That will give them an opportunity to see which of the 4 younger players are going to stick or have the potential to get better. We already know that Reiff can play on the right side and is going to be here for a while, why not let him stick there and see if Hill can play. That will also let them know how much draft capital needs to be used.

Maybe, but wasn't Reiff actually worse as RT? 

11 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

They won't bench Remmers this soon and if they did, Hill would probably take over at RT before Reiff. 

Berger would be an ideal backup and maybe Boone could rebound at RG.

14 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

They won't bench Remmers this soon and if they did, Hill would probably take over at RT before Reiff. 

Berger would be an ideal backup and maybe Boone could rebound at RG.

id normally be worried about making changes this soon before the season to avoid disrupting chemistry, but we've had several players miss time due to injury. 

56 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Generally free agents are free agents for a reason. Not uncommon (for any team) for free agents to be disappointing.

That is why I feel so lucky we signed Linval, he is the (Pro Bowl) exception to the rule!

53 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Might not be a bad idea once we're out of the playoff race.

But even so, I can't imagine the backups being much worse than the starters. These moves could come before that time.

Boone has been a disappointment since he came here. He talks a lot. He has the Jared Allen persona without the Jared Allen play. If he stays, he should be a backup and then cut after the season.

With there being a very high chance of both Alex Boone (cut because of no cap hit after this year) and Joe Berger (retiring) being gone after this season I would like to see Nick Easton get a starting spot.  Having at least one OG with significant starting experience would give us a lot of flexibility during the draft.

There is nothing about Boone's contract that makes it a challenge to cut him right now. Cutting him would save the team money without leaving them a dead money hit in future years. However, I think that Boone makes the team for the simple fact that without him the team would have no depth. He is a very expensive backup, but the team doesn't have another player to take over as backup if a current backup is pushed into the starting lineup. That is a on Rick Spielman. The team should have had another option at backup to avoid being forced to have Boone as an overpriced backup.

The fear is that the Vikings will try and save face by forcing Boone into the starting lineup instead of bumping him to the backup role and admitting that they failed to have backup depth so are forced to pay a failed starter his starter salary to take the backup position.

Meanwhile, Rick is paying Remmers starter salary for backup quality play out at RT too. Even if the team doesn't think he is worth the salary they have nobody else around to backup if someone is promoted over Remmers.

Archived