so lets talk about edmonds

DudeWhat???

i see alot of people talking about saftey as a need...this places edmonds as a bust pretty much...or is he? good starting safeties can usually be found in the 2nd round and even third...much harder to fin CBs...this explains why players like derwin james fell last year...to pick 17...that being said...why? are you comfortable with not picking a safety until late or not at all..do you feel edmonds can fill in for morgan? or no? what are your thoughts...

I think  everyone agrees that he was over drafted last  year but i dont see much in terms of him being a bust just yet. I actually liked the bit of progress he showed and think he can become a good athletic player for us. No one wants to draft a project in the 1st round but that is what we did, but he is no bust at this point just a raw as a player. If the right safety were to fall to us on day 2 i am not opposed to drafting for value but would prefer to look to fill other holes with our top 4 picks

What we don't have is a true center fielder FS, so that's what we're missing in our safety mix.
The variety of packages we run, Edmonds and Davis are too similar. And we even use three safeties in some sub packages.

The safeties I think fit what we need:

N.Adderly
C.Gardner Johnson
D.Thompson
J.Thornhill
D.Savage

Maybe less so

T.Rapp (good player but not a FS type)
J.Abram

Yes, it was said last off season we had planned to run a lot of 3 safety formations.  We never really got to do as much as I think they wanted bc of Burnett’s struggles to stay on the field.  Think of Fort covering WRs in the Chargers game.

Also, Davis is not a true FS.  He did seem to play better there though.  On top of that his contract will be up soon. If they want to move on drafting someone may be a good idea.

i think some also speculate Edmunds may have been drafted to play the $lb role, but was forced into SS bc of Burnett not really panning out.

I think there are a lot of reasons. Not him being a bust though.

My desire for drafting a safety has nothing to do with Edmunds. Davis has stunk and is on the last year of his deal. The people behind him are Marcus Allen and Jordan Dangerfield. I also have a personal believe that the NFL defense is going to shift into 3 Safety looks more consistently as the offenses continue to evolve around athletes and horizontal passing substituting runs. 

I also dont believe you NEED a true FS, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. 

If we are soley talking about the fact he was drafted in the 1st round, he is an absolute bust.

If we are solely talking about him as a subpackage LB/S he isnt a bust.

In reality he was a very overdrafted limited use type of player.

He doesnt fix any of our Safety need issues.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:42 AM, wwhickok said:

If we are soley talking about the fact he was drafted in the 1st round, he is an absolute bust.

If we are solely talking about him as a subpackage LB/S he isnt a bust.

In reality he was a very overdrafted limited use type of player.

He doesnt fix any of our Safety need issues.

I hated him as a first round pick too...but to definitively claim he is an absolute bust after his rookie year when he was widely known to be a raw project player is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Remember  Polamalu’s rookie year...

Polamalu flashed as a rookie quite a bit. I hope Edmunds has a monster year, I really do. I'm just not convinced he is in the same class as future HOFer Troy Polamalu.

8 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Polamalu flashed as a rookie quite a bit. I hope Edmunds has a monster year, I really do. I'm just not convinced he is in the same class as future HOFer Troy Polamalu.

I agree that he probably isnt a future HOF.  However, I don’t remember many bright spots in Troy’s rookie season. My point is that the logic Edmunds is a bust bc of his rookie season, which wasn’t all that bad, is a fallacy.

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope his second season is better than Sean Davis’ was. If Davis improves again and Edmunds progresses instead of regresses, our safeties might not be the worst in the league.

Quite the high bar you set there. :D

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If Davis improves again

I dont really think Davis improved YOY, I think he was just around the ball less so you didnt notice him being bad as much. 

He still had a 20% Missed tackle rate (on par with last year), still didnt turn the football over, had the same amount of PDs, and still has no clue what an angle is to either the ball carrier (Hi Phillip Lindsay) or a pass catcher (Hi Alvin Kamara). 

Edmunds won't be the RD1 pick that colbert made him, I never saw the range for a good safety last year at all. He has good hands and will FF but tackling and angles were an issue last year and that is basic football and has nothing to do with coaching or scheme.  Not a bad player, but not a true RD1 player and no Troy for this that remember what effect great safety play has for the D.  Collins would have been a good signing but of course colbert wasted the$ elsewhere, so once again Safety is a problem, as is OLB (dupree isn't a starter)  etc, etc . 

Davis though, I saw too many breakdowns last year. He was better when burns wasn't near, but still too many problems. colbert's  safety play had to be never the bottom of the league

Lets not forget that Davis is going into his contract year and just switched agents to the moron-magnet.  He might not be around after this season.  Plus, as already mentioned, none of the Ss on the roster are a true FS, and they like to run with 3.   

Archived