The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

That was 2002 where all QBs has sub 8 minus Peyton. 

Well that's partially valid.  Most years since then there has only been 3-6 QBs who hit the 8 ypa mark. It's usually different QBs too, there isn't a QB who hits that mark year after year. Now last year there were 9 QBs above 8 and maybe that's why it's a sticking point for you now, I don't know.

The only positive I can point too is that Carr did have 7.3 mark last year and that's with all of the issues and lack of talent.  Just as a reference, Roethlisberger had 7.6 with AB and Juju and it was one of his best statistical seasons.

16 minutes ago, true2form said:

Well that's partially valid.  Most years since then there has only been 3-6 QBs who hit the 8 ypa mark. It's usually different QBs too, there isn't a QB who hits that mark year after year. Now last year there were 9 QBs above 8 and maybe that's why it's a sticking point for you now, I don't know.

The only positive I can point too is that Carr did have 7.3 mark last year and that's with all of the issues and lack of talent.  Just as a reference, Roethlisberger had 7.6 with AB and Juju and it was one of his best statistical seasons.

DC averaged 8-9 YPA in 7 games last season.  I expect it to be higher than 7.3 with the added talent.  I'm not worried about him anymore.  Now I just hope J. Gruden can put it all together.

Edited by Jerry

11 hours ago, true2form said:

Stats, record, or both?

Not really about either of these things for me, obviously if he returns to 2016 form he’s going to have good stats though. Our defense was arse that season and he still found a way to make big plays almost every week to keep us in games. That’s what I want to see. The guy that gives us a chance to win every week instead of captain check down that folds when he hears foot steps.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Not really about either of these things for me, obviously if he returns to 2016 form he’s going to have good stats though. Our defense was arse that season and he still found a way to make big plays almost every week to keep us in games. That’s what I want to see. The guy that gives us a chance to win every week instead of captain check down that folds when he hears foot steps.

Our defense sucked but they had a ton of FF, FR, and INTs.  Winning the turnover game consistently makes a huge difference in the W/L column.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Our defense sucked but they had a ton of FF, FR, and INTs.  Winning the turnover game consistently makes a huge difference in the W/L column.

Carr was also one of the best QB's in the league in clutch time. Didn't he set the record for most 4th quarter comebacks during a single season? 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr was also one of the best QB's in the league in clutch time. Didn't he set the record for most 4th quarter comebacks during a single season? 

Yes but he was also a complete dud the first three quarters of those games if I remember correctly. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We won 12 games and he was the favorite to win MVP before he got hurt. 

And one of the worst 12 teams in NFL History if you compare it to others. That was a 9-7 team. Yes Carrs heroics helped us to 12. He needs to play that way the entire game and have a season even better than 2016. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

And one of the worst 12 teams in NFL History if you compare it to others. That was a 9-7 team. Yes Carrs heroics helped us to 12. He needs to play that way the entire game and have a season even better than 2016. 

We don't live in a could've, would've, should've world. The reality is we won 12 games and he played well in the clutch almost every week. That's how he's going to have to play if he wants to be the guy here longterm. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We don't live in a could've, would've, should've world. The reality is we won 12 games and he played well in the clutch almost every week. That's how he's going to have to play if he wants to be the guy here longterm. 

We’ll see. Gruden and Mayock are giving him every chance to succeed this year. Not many GMs and Coaches go this far for their QBs. If he doesn’t have the best season of his career this year he’s gone. 

What would probably make the decision easier is the 2020 QB class is one of the most stacked in history with probably 5 1st Rounders and 4 in the Top 10. I’ll use a Carr quote here, if you don’t want to draft a QB, then “mess up the draft” and make sure we are out of range of these QBs. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

We’ll see. Gruden and Mayock are giving him every chance to succeed this year. Not many GMs and Coaches go this far for their QBs. If he doesn’t have the best season of his career this year he’s gone. 

What would probably make the decision easier is the 2020 QB class is one of the most stacked in history with probably 5 1st Rounders and 4 in the Top 10. I’ll use a Carr quote here, if you don’t want to draft a QB, then “mess up the draft” and make sure we are out of range of these QBs. 

I mean why not try. If he plays well, you have an asset at qb and 2 more picks to build an identity for this team. Not to mention, with some of the elite players in the draft next year, you'll have ample opportunity to move down if need be.

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think M. Stafford had 8 that season.  DC had 7.  Still, incredible, and stressful, and I'd be happy to do it again.  I'm completely fine with watching 7 comeback wins a season, and stomping teams another 3 games while we go 10-6 or better.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Most qbs dont play well when they have a lot of pressure on them. Even great ones unless they scramble and buy time.

That's a lot of people's gripe with Carr. He's athletic, but doesn't want to use his legs often. When pressured, he get happy feet and skittish in the pocket vs. finding his way out of a jam. 

• Like 1