Free Agents Moves Likely Done For Now

soulman

Chicago Bears: Why free agency moves are likely done until May

The Chicago Bears began free agency with a series of calculated moves. None of them particularly splashy, but definite actions to improve the team.

Expectations were that such maneuvers would continue as GM Ryan Pace try to tweak the formula of a roster that appears capable of going to a Super Bowl. Yet for the past two weeks now, it’s been virtually silent. Their last move of note came on the 14th when they signed Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Between then and the current date of the 28th, they’ve made only four moves and three of them were re-signing their own players in Nick Williams, Pat O’Donnell, and Tyler Bray.

So what gives? There is no way the Bears can be done making moves at this point. They have 28 roster spots still open. As of now,

they have just five draft picks with no 1st or 2nd rounder. Do they plan on filling those holes with five picks and 23 undrafted free agents? Of course not. There are more signings that must be made. Why then do the Bears continue to seemingly draft their feet when several good players remain available?

There’s actually a very specific reason why they may be waiting, and it has to do with a little-known NFL deadline that has yet to pass.

Chicago Bears free agency pause likely meant to protect compensatory picks

The process of compensatory draft picks is still a mystery to many fans. They aren’t entirely familiar and it takes a good deal of study to figure out how it works. As things stand, the Bears have suffered a net loss in terms of free agent value this year. Despite the moves they’ve made, the losses of both Adrian Amos and Bryce Callahan appear to have weakened them. This is why they are currently projected to secure 4th and 5th round comp picks in the 2020 draft.

If this comes to pass, it would give the Bears nine picks total. Something that would certainly sound appetizing to Pace. The problem is those picks might be threatened if the team were to continue signing more unrestricted free agents. However, it won’t be like that forever.

Most people don’t know this, but the NFL has a deadline for when free agents stop counting against the compensatory pick formula. It occurs on the second Tuesday after the conclusion of the NFL draft. In this case, that deadline will be May 7th of this year. After that, all free agents still on the market can be signed without any effect on a teams’ comp pick plans for 2020.

Given how slow the market has been lately, it’s possible other teams have the same idea as the Bears. They’re going to wait until the deadline passes before resuming their efforts to secure veteran players to fill out the roster.

I like it when I learn yet another trick as to how this compensatory pick thing works.

So....it is possible Pace has come to a tentative agreement with some FAs he would like to add after May 7 but we won't know who 'til then.

OK....now we can all sit back, put our feet up, crack open a beer, and focus entirely on the draft.  happy0180.gif

Looks like our next wave of signings is more than a month off. 

Makes a lot of sense why trying to build the bottom of your roster...gives you flexibility in the draft to take a BPA mentality as well as giving you a leg up in trying to get UDFAs into the building where they don't need to compete with so many vets...then you can round out what you don't get at cheaper prices.

Reflecting on this news if we could get a 2020 3rd (equivalent to a 2019 4th) for Howard to replace the one we're sending to Oakland in the Mack trade we'd have;

2-2nds

1-3rd

2-4ths

2-5ths

1-6th

1-7th

There's also a conditional 5th from Oakland but I'm not counting it.

That's some nice draft booty to have in a year when we'll need those picks more than we do this year.

On 29/3/2019 at 2:49 AM, soulman said:

Add one more 6th or 5th via Howard trade.

With the success Pace has had in developing picks all the way down to the 5th round I am confident we will pick up our next wave of talent with those 2 2nds, 4ths, & 5ths.

Looks like the Bears are set to get only a 4th round comp pick next year.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/#nfc-north-2020

NFC North

21 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Looks like the Bears are set to get only a 4th round comp pick next year.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/#nfc-north-2020

NFC North

Those aren't completely even though. 2 7's should cancel out, but the 2 6's should combine to cancel a 5. I feel like we are looking at a 4th and 7th

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Those aren't completely even though. 2 7's should cancel out, but the 2 6's should combine to cancel a 5. I feel like we are looking at a 4th and 7th

I wouldn't have guessed that. Presumably I figured a 4th or 5th for Amos and a 5th or 6th for Callahan.

11 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

The issue with any 7th though is if all 32 picks are awarded prior to that pick it's void.

Archived