Raiders sign LB Brandon Marshall (One year, up to $4.1 M)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The raiders at the very least will be very interesting. 

They are executing exactly what Mayock said he would when hired. He wanted to fill out the roster during FA, which would allow them to be more strategic during the draft. I can't wait to see what he has in store for the draft.

1st and foremost he is a incredible human being. Extremely active on social issues and the community. Perfect player/leader from that standpoint.

Unfortunately his play has fallen off a cliff since the SuperBowl 3 years ago. Injuries are his biggest concern as he has hardly been healthy for the past 2 seasons. When he was on the field he just didnt seem to have any decisive speed or pop that he used to have back in 2014-2016 where he made his name

If hes healthy and has a little extra juice in a new environment, then he is a above average but not great MLB. Far worse signings for 4.1mill

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

1st and foremost he is a incredible human being. Extremely active on social issues and the community. Perfect player/leader from that standpoint.

Unfortunately his play has fallen off a cliff since the SuperBowl 3 years ago. Injuries are his biggest concern as he has hardly been healthy for the past 2 seasons. When he was on the field he just didnt seem to have any decisive speed or pop that he used to have back in 2014-2016 where he made his name

If hes healthy and has a little extra juice in a new environment, then he is a above average but not great MLB. Far worse signings for 4.1mill

Thanks for the info. Someone in your forum mentioned he was asked to do different things since Trev left. Do you think that could be part of his struggles?

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thanks for the info. Someone in your forum mentioned he was asked to do different things since Trev left. Do you think that could be part of his struggles?

The 2015-2016 Broncos Super Bowl team was just...different. That was seriously one of the best defenses ever where everybody was playing complimentary positions. They blended so well to the point where competitors are trying to chase the 2 EDGE 3 CB model (Ex: Chargers).

Marshall was always fast and was a standout in short range TE/RB pass coverage. Trevathan was the poster boy for sideline-to-sideline speed. Ive personally never heard of them trying to replace Trevathans production with Marshall, but I think they always thought Marshall was great at your standard MLB role who would do a little bit of everything well. Cover, run defense, ect.

His biggest issue is honestly health. He hasnt been healthy for a full season since that SB and hes aging. Hes basically like the Jordy Nelson of LBs at this point.

He lost a ton of weight this past offseason; I am sure he said his playing weight was like 220lbs on the back of a Vegan diet (this may need verifying).

He's going to be so motivated to make this work; however he's always been a good pro so I don't know if this will be enough to keep him on the field with which he's really struggled with (as @AkronsWitness has pointed out).

He's an excellent defender in the flat but really regressed in coverage when he has to cover a two-way go or even a zone in the middle of the field. I really like him, so he's one of the first Raiders I have ever rooted for.

Archived