Is "Extreme" Draft & Develop Over in GB?

TheOnlyThing

I believe allot of this is also due to what has transpired on the league. The value was there this season. More and more teams are working their programs into draft and develop and also with some teams transitions to knew coaches and different schemes it's made more guys available. We had a few oldies and well fringe guys who left for various reasons. That makes it easy. The DD method helps get you young and deep of followed through on, then i think your team reaches a maturity point and the potential is there to do what we've done this year. At the end of the day though who can argue the results. One thing most of us can't to and yet many try on here is to speak on behalf of TT and CO. None of us know what the plans were or weren't and how they came together. We've had a great ready for over 2 decades so lets keep it going. Great offseason and this week had been the cherry on the cake.

On 9/5/2017 at 3:53 PM, PACKRULE said:

I believe allot of this is also due to what has transpired on the league. The value was there this season. More and more teams are working their programs into draft and develop and also with some teams transitions to knew coaches and different schemes it's made more guys available. We had a few oldies and well fringe guys who left for various reasons. That makes it easy. The DD method helps get you young and deep of followed through on, then i think your team reaches a maturity point and the potential is there to do what we've done this year. At the end of the day though who can argue the results. One thing most of us can't to and yet many try on here is to speak on behalf of TT and CO. None of us know what the plans were or weren't and how they came together. We've had a great ready for over 2 decades so lets keep it going. Great offseason and this week had been the cherry on the cake.

You may well be correct that all the additions to the roster from other teams in 2017 are simply due to external developments around the league.

Of course, as Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes, it just might be the "result of Thompson removing the handcuffs on his personnel department."  

Interesting question is whether this is a one year anomaly or a fundamental change in philosophy.

I think a lot of it, this offseason, is due to the younger kids in the front office getting more responsibility.  I think a lot of what has happened is a result of Elliot and Gutenkist (sp) finding these players and pitching them to TT.  That and Marty actually called TT himself to get on his radar.

But yah, I think the kids like draft and develop but they also see value in some of these older vets.  Best off season I can remember in a long time.

7 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

You may well be correct that all the additions to the roster from other teams in 2017 are simply due to external developments around the league.

Of course, as Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writes, it just might be the "result of Thompson removing the handcuffs on his personnel department."  

Interesting question is whether this is a one year anomaly or a fundamental change in philosophy.

This is true there are likely many factors as to why the change. Of course the thing to note this year is we did have quite a few players leave and some were not heavily chased to return. One thing we can all certainly agree on is the stars have aligned and this offseason hasn't been the same as many in recent memory. It's a nice change, and at this point doesn't seem to be setting us back as we dumped salary and put more back on. Further into that we still should maintain most of our comp picks due to most of our FA signings being cuts or after Aug 1.

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

Lets be honest with what is really going on here!!!!

Let's actually be honest.

This thread doesn't exist to actually discuss if they changed. It's to go hey see Ted was doing it wrong all along and he finally realized it or was forced to change. Therefore meaning all of those that disagreed all along and thought he wasted away years think they're vindicated and just want to hear people admit he did for further vindication. While the pro Ted people try and claim it isn't out of the norm or that it's an abberation. 

Who cares.

11 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Let's actually be honest.

This thread doesn't exist to actually discuss if they changed. It's to go hey see Ted was doing it wrong all along and he finally realized it or was forced to change. Therefore meaning all of those that disagreed all along and thought he wasted away years think they're vindicated and just want to hear people admit he did for further vindication. While the pro Ted people try and claim it isn't out of the norm or that it's an abberation. 

Who cares.

As perceptive a comment as you'll ever read on an internet forum

• 3 months later...

"Ha Ha Clinton-Dix questions draft-and-develop strategy in Green Bay"

Asked whether the draft-and-develop strategy leaves the Packers vulnerable when starters suffer injuries, Clinton-Dix agreed wholeheartedly." “I think that’s exactly what it is,” Clinton-Dix said, via Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/02/ha-ha-clinton-dix-questions-draft-and-develop-strategy-in-green-bay/

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

HHCD is full of excuses.  

Had guys, like him, stepped up when Rodgers went down, maybe they are still playing their season.

He is not a leader and honestly, I'm not sure he's someone I would extend to a big long term deal.

He's one of probably several who need strong direction from our next DC and assistants.  I don't want to bail on the guy, but his play was not up to snuff this year and I don't think he deserves a fat new contract any time soon.  

Archived