Seahawks extend Russell Wilson QB with a new Contract

49erurtaza

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't get me wrong, Russell Wilson is the better QB, but the Seahawks just gave him $8M/year and $20M+ more guaranteed.  That's not chump change.  Russell Wilson is he "safer" bet.

What does 8M/year get you that you think is even close to the difference in QB play?

The best player who signed for that this year is Jared Cook?

6 minutes ago, RandomCampBody said:

Patriots and Bob Kraft paying Tom Brady under the table off the cap.

I've suggested this before. Seems like it would be easy for a billionaire to do and a multi millionaire with a multimillionaire wife to do. Not saying it has been done but it could be done rather easily. Just have to keep your mouth shut about it.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:
15 minutes ago, RandomCampBody said:

Patriots and Bob Kraft paying Tom Brady under the table off the cap.

I've suggested this before. Seems like it would be easy for a billionaire to do and a multi millionaire with a multimillionaire wife to do. Not saying it has been done but it could be done rather easily. Just have to keep your mouth shut about it.

If NFL owners actually wanted to pay players more, they'd increase the salary cap in CBA negotiations. The reason they don't want to pay players off the cap is because they want to make more money on their teams. Bobby Kraft won't even break into triple digits for a round the world, he's not going to subvert rules to pay more money.

12 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

What does 8M/year get you that you think is even close to the difference in QB play?

The best player who signed for that this year is Jared Cook?

An extra $8M/year turns Justin Houston into Von Miller.  You're looking at this in a fairly linear way.  It's $8M you can spend any way.  Not just $8M to put towards a FA.

Just now, footbull3196 said:

Should I pick Seattle to win the division or should i assume this is gonna end the same way that it ended after Rodgers got paid last season?

You should pick the Rams to win the division as long as Goff is on the rookie deal despite the SB loss hangover

8 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

You should pick the Rams to win the division as long as Goff is on the rookie deal despite the SB loss hangover

I can’t do it man.  I still think the Rams get the wild card but the Seahawks played them really close last season in both matchups and I don’t see them getting swept again

1 minute ago, footbull3196 said:

I can’t do it man.  I still think the Rams get the wild card but the Seahawks played them really close last season in both matchups and I don’t see them getting swept again

The Seahawks might not get swept, but the Rams are a more talented overall team.  It's a safe bet to predict they would win the NFC West again.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I mean Bill Belichick...

Fair enough.  Tom Brady is a bit of an exception.

What i really meant was finding a way to win a middling QB that didn't demand top money.  Or hell even finding a way to play offense without a "QB".

28 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Seahawks might not get swept, but the Rams are a more talented overall team.  It's a safe bet to predict they would win the NFC West again.

Yeah I can understand that and don’t have issue with anyone who would pick the Rams to win the division again.  I personally think Whitworth is on his last legs and thought Seattle was a pretty strong 10-6 team last year.  They had a point 428-347 point differential and all of their losses were by 1 score.  I do think you guys should trade one of your RBs tho

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If NFL owners actually wanted to pay players more, they'd increase the salary cap in CBA negotiations. The reason they don't want to pay players off the cap is because they want to make more money on their teams. he's not going to subvert rules to pay more money.

It would be to gain a competitive advantage not the want to pay the players more. I doubt it has ever happened but if you did have a great QB and you did give him half of his salary on the side to give yourself more cap space for the rest of the team while the QB was looked at as a great team player who takes less money than lesser QBs get then it is pretty much a win for all involved, as long as you don't care about skipping around the rules a little bit.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

An extra $8M/year turns Justin Houston into Von Miller.  You're looking at this in a fairly linear way.  It's $8M you can spend any way.  Not just $8M to put towards a FA.

No it doesn't at all. Your way of looking at this isn't based on real possibilities.

The only way to get a Von Miller is to draft a Von Miller or trade a bunch of draft capital to the team that did. If the Colts had 8M per year more in cap space (because Luck decided to take a discount or w/e) they could not have chosen to have Von Miller over Justin Houston. 

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

No it doesn't at all. Your way of looking at this isn't based on real possibilities.

The only way to get a Von Miller is to draft a Von Miller or trade a bunch of draft capital to the team that did. If the Colts had 8M per year more in cap space (because Luck decided to take a discount or w/e) they could not have chosen to have Von Miller over Justin Houston. 

You're literally missing the entire point of my post.  If you have an extra $8M to spend, it's not strictly tied to the fact that you can ONLY spend that $8M in FA.  That $8M can be spent in a number of ways.  Spending an extra $8M on another position, extending another player using that $8M, etc.  It's not strictly about what you can sign in FA outright.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're literally missing the entire point of my post.  If you have an extra $8M to spend, it's not strictly tied to the fact that you can ONLY spend that $8M in FA.  That $8M can be spent in a number of ways.  Spending an extra $8M on another position, extending another player using that $8M, etc.  It's not strictly about what you can sign in FA outright.

I completely understood the point of your post. What I am saying is that all of those other ways to spend that 8M per year in cap space don't mean ish compared to having even a marginally better QB, let alone the gap between a Wilson and a Jimmy G.

Having that extra 4% of cap space isn't the competitive advantage some people seem to think it is.

Archived