2019 Live Draft Chat

dll2000

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Given how good Pace has been in the mid rounds I am not sure we would have much of a right to be angry either way 😂

I think Armstead in 3rd would be disappointing to me. 

44 minutes ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Unless they come from a division rival? Green Bay tried to pay Kyle Fuller and succeeded in backing up the Brinks truck for Adrian Amos. 

With the amount of draft picks + free agency money spent on the Packers defensive secondary, you have to concede that it is a considerable amount of resources spent for a unit that ranks in the back half of the league. 

Anyway, excited to have my own draft picks to illogically defend after tonight!

That's more an indictment on their pass rush than anything else.  When Kyler Fackrell (with his ridiculously unsustainable pressure per sack ratio) is leading your team in sacks, you know your pass rush isn't reliable.  Despite those issues, Green Bay finished T-8th among all NFL teams.  Kyler Fackrell, Kenny Clark, and Blake Martinez accounted for 21.5 of their 44 team sacks.  That's your EDGE3 coming into the season, your NT, and your starting ILB.  Put a pair of legitimate pass rushers (Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith) along with some health from Mike Daniels, and this secondary could look really good.

Back up the brinks truck for Amos?  He's 10th in AAV among safeties and 18th in terms of guarantees.  That's not backing up the brinks truck.

44 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Wait what? Amos will get DESTROYED playing single high. He absolutely does not have the skill set there. There’s a reason Amos only became somewhat relevant when he got paired next to a top 3 S in the league. 

Wait...you mean a good safety needs a competent one next to them?  Shocking.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You ripped Dix without mercy and he didn't have pass rush or good secondary help.

Again...when you purposely come up short in run support because you refuse to get your hands dirty and take awful angle to the ball carrier, what do you expect?  HHCD issues weren't what was in front of him.  The problem was he was Charmin soft.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Kinda hard when you pull up short in run defense, and take awful angles to the ball carrier.  HHCD is a finesse safety.

He is finesse.  He can also catch and has good speed.  You put him 20 yards deep and he was facing top athletes in open field with a lot space again and again and did pretty good about 95% of time.

I think he is going to surprise you this year.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

He is finesse.  He can also catch and has good speed.  You put him 20 yards deep and he was facing top athletes in open field with a lot space again and again and did pretty good about 95% of time.

I think he is going to surprise you this year.  

Maybe the Bears can figure something out that neither the Packers or Redskins couldn't.  My guess is he's going to revert to being the same liability he was before.

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just don't see the need for a 3rd round RB when you have Davis, Cohen & Patterson...plus Spencer Ware still an FA...TE, IOL, OLB, DB...or insanely quick WR/weapon like Hardman all come higher on my list.

Hardman if he’s there seems like a great pick to me, but also a pick about 2020+. Be really interesting to see the philosophy the next 36 hours. 

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's more an indictment on their pass rush than anything else.  When Kyler Fackrell (with his ridiculously unsustainable pressure per sack ratio) is leading your team in sacks, you know your pass rush isn't reliable.  Despite those issues, Green Bay finished T-8th among all NFL teams.  Kyler Fackrell, Kenny Clark, and Blake Martinez accounted for 21.5 of their 44 team sacks.  That's your EDGE3 coming into the season, your NT, and your starting ILB.  Put a pair of legitimate pass rushers (Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith) along with some health from Mike Daniels, and this secondary could look really good.

Back up the brinks truck for Amos?  He's 10th in AAV among safeties and 18th in terms of guarantees.  That's not backing up the brinks truck.

1) Smith and Smith aren't "legitimate" pass rushers, although if you consider anywhere between 4 and 8 sacks for either player "legitimate," then sure they're legit.

2) It is backing up the brinks truck because he isn't close to being the 10th best safety in football. 

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

1) Smith and Smith aren't "legitimate" pass rushers, although if you consider anywhere between 4 and 8 sacks for either player "legitimate," then sure they're legit.

2) It is backing up the brinks truck because he isn't close to being the 10th best safety in football. 

I think you're failing to underestimate how useless our pass rushers were last year.  Kyler Fackrell (and his unsustainable pressure per sack ratio) was our best pass rusher.  Clay was useless, and Nick Perry was injured.  And that's the price of paying players in FA.  They get more than what they're worth, but I'd hardly say that's backing up the Brinks truck.

4 hours ago, dafreak said:

Their fan base certainly was happy that those two first rounders weren't traded for Mack. 

They'll be less happy again once the season begins and Mack is picking his teeth with Rodgers and if Floyd can keep ascending as he did the second half of last year it's a double whammy.

But I really wish people would actually look at the true terms of that trade.  It was more like a 1st and a 3rd and then a swap of our 1st for their 2nd.  The 6th round kicker and 5th round conditional we got were pretty meaningless.

We don't know how 2020 will come out but based on 2019 they get our 24th 1st and we get their 4th 2nd.  So a swap of what, 12 pick?  I'd rather have the 2nd.  Fairly equal player and a lesser contract.

I'd do that trade all over again any day.  Some GB fans will never get over believing Mack was gonna play in GB because they made a better offer.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

As a Bears fan who was always a fan of Amos I can honestly say he can't play FS...we only got the best out of him when we finally moved him to SS and got a stud in Jackson playing over the top of him to cover his deficiencies.  

Here's my pitch to GB fans regarding Amos.  He's a decent well disciplined SS but not a major playmaker.

You're gonna like him in 2019 but in 2021 when his cap hit is $10.05 mil you'll be ready to move on from him.  He's not a $10 mil guy.

45 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He just reminds me too much of Garrett Wolfe...small and not very quick one man offence with tons of wear and tear...I do like his toughness and balance but in the NFL where every defender is huge and fast I just don't see the value.

Except Wolfe was 20lbs lighter and didn't have anywhere near the toughness or elusiveness Singletary has.  He's not gonna be a feature back in the NFL but he can be a weapon and good point producer.

The second round will tell us a lot but it could be all of the RBs will get pushed farther down than expected.  It's an over supply vs weaker demand.

Archived