2019 Live Draft Chat

dll2000

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Truth be told I think when it comes to the division we came out of round 1 pretty well...

I love Bradbury for the Vikings and think he will be an outstanding player but they have replaced Pat Elflein who IMO when healthy is by far there best interior linemen at centre and I don't see him playing OG so that is a bit of an issue.

I like Hockenson as a player but don't think he is Kittle type...will very much so upgrade their run game but I think he is a mid range TE in the pros.

The Packers...wonderful work guys...two guys who don't have a natural position in your defence...love it hahaha.

The Packers board is coming around on Gary. They went from WTF to comparing him to Chubb and Clowney. LOL

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I'd love it if Gutekunst turned out to be Phil Emery v2.0.  Missing out on Fant over taking Gary first is not gonna make Rodgers happy.

He is definitely trying to play the "smartest guy in the room" bit. They need a TE to help rodgers and they go with yet another DB. How many first and second round DBs does this team draft?

2 hours ago, dafreak said:

The Packers board is coming around on Gary. They went from WTF to comparing him to Chubb and Clowney. LOL

They can only go ga ga over his freakish athletic numbers.

Cracks me up when they say it was Michigan's plan for him not to make plays and just be a blocker eater like he was a 400 lb. NG.  

Someone sarcastically said, he was supposed to be invisible and he was good at it.   That was pretty funny.  

Has any team spent more draft capital with less to show for it than Green Bay with DBs?

Before this draft, 7 of their last 10 first and second rounders have been used on DBs. Obviously with the trade up (!!) for Savage last night, that number is now 8 of 12. From the 7 previous DB's selected (not counting Savage) they currently have only 3 combined career INTs on their roster.

Year Rnd Pick Pos College Player 2018 Appearances for GB 2018 Starts for GB Career INT  
2018 1 18 CB Louisville Jaire Alexander 13 11 1  
2018 2 45 CB Iowa Josh Jackson 16 10 0  
2017 2 33 CB Washington Kevin King 6 6 1  
2017 2 61 S North Carolina St. Josh Jones 13 5 1  
2015 1 30 S Arizona St. Damarious Randall 0 0 10 traded
2015 2 62 CB Miami (OH) Quinten Rollins 0 0 3 out of league
2014 1 21 DB Alabama Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 7 7 14 traded

All this to say - I'm not exactly shaking in my boots after GB's night last night. Especially considering how high expectations were with 2 first rounders..

FWIW, John "Moon" Mullin thinks that if the player evaluations are equal, the Bears will take a corner or offensive line ahead of RB.

Had some good insight... apparently Pace wanted Denzel Ward last season but didn't have a shot at him since he went #4. He also tried hard and failed to sign Stephon Gilmore and A.J. Bouye in the past and instead paid good money to Prince Amukamara and Kyle Fuller. Amukamara has an injury history *knocks on wood* and after this season can be cut for $1M. Wouldn't shock me to see us go corner in the 3rd round if Pace finds a player he values.

I'm changing my tune here, I think Pace is going to take a corner if a player he values is there at 87.

1 minute ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Has any team spent more draft capital with less to show for it than Green Bay with DBs?

Before this draft, 7 of their last 10 first and second rounders have been used on DBs. Obviously with the trade up (!!) for Savage last night, that number is now 8 of 12. From the 7 previous DB's selected (not counting Savage) they currently have only 3 combined career INTs on their roster.

Year Rnd Pick Pos College Player 2018 Appearances for GB 2018 Starts for GB Career INT  

All this to say - I'm not exactly shaking in my boots after GB's night last night. Especially considering how high expectations were with 2 first rounders..

Their fan base certainly was happy that those two first rounders weren't traded for Mack. 

5 minutes ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

It gets even better when you consider what they just dropped on Amos.

I don't really hate the 2 picks that the Packers made...except that the Packers made them.

Gary is a tough fit schematically in their defense + they spent a ton of money on pass rushers. He's a freak and if he figures it out, he's going to be a terror...but that's also a big "if."

Savage is going to be a decent player, but again they spent a lot of money on Amos and they take a DB every freaking year it seemed (and now it's confirmed by the posts above).

15 hours ago, Nads786 said:

GB had a huge reach with their pick. The guy has zero production, and he cries like a blubbering infant. He reminds me of Cedric Benson.

Some really solid analysis there.  But on a more serious note, it's hard to watch Michigan tape and not realize how much the players around Gary benefited playing alongside him.  Winovich owes him his first NFL paycheck as does Devin Bush.  Those guys don't make the same plays that they do if Rashan Gary sat out the year to fix his shoulder.  At the end of the day, the Packers LOVE his flexibility (which ironically is a key cog of Pettine's defense) and you can't go wrong betting on the tools for a pass rusher.  If you trust Pettine, Gary was a fantastic pick.  If you don't trust Pettine, you don't like the pick.

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

All GB board has been banging drum for Burns for weeks.  Interesting to see them rationalizing Gary.  Gotta do what you gotta do. 

I mean, Burns is the "sexy" pick but he's also the riskiest of the EDGE rushers.  He's that twitchy pass rusher the Packers haven't really ever had, but the problem is he's apparently incapable of keeping weight on.  And Pettine has a frame that he prefers for his pass rusher, which I'm not sure Burns is capable of doing so.  It's not a home run pick, but I'd hardly call it a whiff for the Packers.  There was no home run available.

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Wow that is another huge reach for the Packers...I like him but like mid to late 2nd...not 21st Overall...again I am loving what GB are doing hahaha...

Also where you playing him and Amos? Savage at NB?

Might want to adjust your rankings.  He's in the mix for top safeties.  For me, it was essentially him, Nasir Adderly, and Courtney Gardner-Johnson.  Clearly, Savage was their top ranked safety and they felt strongly enough about him to move up for him.  If he were a couple of inches taller and a few pounds heavier, we'd be talking about a top 10 pick.  The kid is a stud.  As for how to play them, they're both interchangeable.  Both can play single high or they can play in the box.

1 hour ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Go look at the FA corners available in FA, and tell me how many of them were worth the contract their teams paid for?  You don't sign DBs, you draft them.  Because once their legs go, they're done.  The 2015 draft was an abomination, but beyond that their drafts have been good.  They have to starting corners (Kevin King and Jaire Alexander), and another DB (Josh Jackson) whose jury is still out on him.  That's not a waste of resources.

1 hour ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

How would you have done the Packers' draft if you were at the helm?  There was no home run pick at 12, and 30 wasn't going to give us any no brainer's either.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Might want to adjust your rankings.  He's in the mix for top safeties.  For me, it was essentially him, Nasir Adderly, and Courtney Gardner-Johnson.  Clearly, Savage was their top ranked safety and they felt strongly enough about him to move up for him.  If he were a couple of inches taller and a few pounds heavier, we'd be talking about a top 10 pick.  The kid is a stud.  As for how to play them, they're both interchangeable.  Both can play single high or they can play in the box.

Suuuuuure he would be 😏...

Also if you want to try playing Amos at FS as an interchangeable safety good luck to you. 

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Suuuuuure he would be 😏...

Also if you want to try playing Amos at FS as an interchangeable safety good luck to you. 

I didn't say it was his best fit, but he's capable of playing it and not be a total liability (I'm looking at you HHCD).  We're probably going to see a LOT of 3 safety looks.  Savage single high, Amos in the middle, and Josh Jones as that hybrid S/LB type.

Archived