Overwatch

cddolphin

21 minutes ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

I started hoarding loot boxes for the event thinking I can use them as Halloween loot boxes, that was indeed false haha

n00b move

I'm on to talk though, I had saved up around 6k coins to buy the summer skins I didn't get as loot, then I the event ended before I remember to buy them.

Guardian Angel

Players can now glide past a targeted ally using the jump key

Cooldown no longer resets when Resurrect is activated

Valkyrie

No longer resets or reduces Resurrection’s cooldown

Now gives players a bonus resurrection charge

Developer Comments: Valkyrie no longer resets or reduces Resurrect’s cooldown. Instead, it now provides an extra 'charge,' allowing you to revive an ally even if it is still on cooldown. If the bonus charge hasn’t been spent when Valkyrie ends, it will be removed. 

This method makes Resurrect more flexible when used with Valkyrie. For example, in the past if you wanted to resurrect two teammates, you had to revive the first target, then activate Valkyrie (causing the Resurrect’s cooldown to reset), and then revive the other target. With this change, you can now activate Valkyrie and fly in quickly to resurrect both targets instantly.

However, this still reduces the overall number of Resurrects that Mercy can provide, since Valkyrie no longer reduces its cooldown.

I think they landed in a pretty good spot on the Mercy changes (now live). 

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/game/patch-notes/pc/

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The rez changes make the mercy rework completely worthless.

Her ult has 0 utility now, it's just a crappier Zen ult that can fly, ooooooooh. And wow the range increases, now I can rez you from 5 steps away instead of having to crouch on your corpse.

You still get a second revive out of it.

Maybe this is the best place to ask this question.. early 2000s-2010ish I was huge into PC gaming. Mainly FPSs like CounterStrike, BF series, COD series, and towards the end I got into WoW. 

I stopped the online gaming scene around 2012 when I got sick of WoW. 

I’ve slowly been trying to get back into the scene, I have been playing CSGO for a couple of months. A lot of people are telling me I need to check out Overwatch. So this is my question.. what exactly is overwatch? I’d like to see how people who play the game would answer that question, knowing my background which could maybe help answer. I’ve done some reading and watched some video about the game, but that hasn’t really gotten me too interested. I’d like to see how people who play the game would answer my few questions. 

CDGO has been fun.. and interesting.. but I think it’s time to find something new. 

58 minutes ago, coors said:

Maybe this is the best place to ask this question.. early 2000s-2010ish I was huge into PC gaming. Mainly FPSs like CounterStrike, BF series, COD series, and towards the end I got into WoW. 

I’ve slowly been trying to get back into the scene, I have been playing CSGO for a couple of months. A lot of people are telling me I need to check out Overwatch. So this is my question.. what exactly is overwatch? I’d like to see how people who play the game would answer that question, knowing my background which could maybe help answer. I’ve done some reading and watched some video about the game, but that hasn’t really gotten me too interested. I’d like to see how people who play the game would answer my few questions. 

CDGO has been fun.. and interesting.. but I think it’s time to find something new. 

Its a team-based shooter, where you need to coordinate abilities with your team to capture/defend an objective. Pretty fast paced (much faster than CS, not quite as fast as COD).

In more organized/higher level games, it plays out similarly to a teamfight in a MOBA (League of Legends/Dota/etc). If you've never played any of those, I think they're somewhat similar to WoW PvP (the teamfighting, at least). So its like that, but with more shooter mechanics.

With CS experience, you'd probably have an advantage over newer players with heroes like McCree (primary is a revolver, plays similar to the Deagle) and Soldier (gun is basically an m4), but some of the teamplay elements of tanks and supports might take longer for you to pick up (unless you had experience with something like that in WoW PvP).

On 10/17/2017 at 11:52 PM, james.mcmurry13 said:

Its a team-based shooter, where you need to coordinate abilities with your team to capture/defend an objective. Pretty fast paced (much faster than CS, not quite as fast as COD).

In more organized/higher level games, it plays out similarly to a teamfight in a MOBA (League of Legends/Dota/etc). If you've never played any of those, I think they're somewhat similar to WoW PvP (the teamfighting, at least). So its like that, but with more shooter mechanics.

With CS experience, you'd probably have an advantage over newer players with heroes like McCree (primary is a revolver, plays similar to the Deagle) and Soldier (gun is basically an m4), but some of the teamplay elements of tanks and supports might take longer for you to pick up (unless you had experience with something like that in WoW PvP).

Thanks for the info, that definitely helps. I might just have to check it out.

I don't think it's enough. She's just a fundamentally OP hero, get her out of the game or buff up the other other healers! It's no fun when you have to have Mercy on your team to compete (assuming it's one of the few games where MMR did a good job...) Her skill floor is just way too high for a hero as inherently strong as she is. I still love the changes they made for her, it has made games so much more fun, but that is only providing both (or neither) teams have a Mercy. In a game with 25 different heroes, there shouldn't be anything remotely close to a must pick. This isn't even a matter of the metagame, this is just a hero whose abilities put her on a special place and make her an optimal pick to fit any 5. She can massively out heal the other supports, has more escapability than them, and can even regen faster than them.

I'd suggest they buff Lucio, Zen, Ana or introduce a new healer, as nerfing/changing her more will just further frustrate the large player base that play her. Just do something to get her pick rate in the single digits. If they want to tinker with heroes as often as they do, it should be for the sake of balance, so their changes should be geared to getting each hero to that magic 4% pick rate.

Her pick rate is ~16% on console! They should strive for every hero's pick rate to be 4%, obviously that would never actually happen, but a hero with one 4x that magic number is an obvious red flag. It's been this way for months though and they've only rolled out these little tweaks. Next highest pick rate is D.VA at 7.5%. 

On 10/17/2017 at 10:42 PM, coors said:

If you like CSGO, Overwatch might be tough to get into.  In Overwatch you often times get shot around corners, etc and you wonder why.  It's because of a thing called Rollback Compensation.  There will be times when you're in gun fight with someone and you go around a corner to avoid dying and you still die anyway.  It's really hard to deal with this when you come from a game like CSGO where I do not believe this is in the game (if it is, it's very small amount).

Overwatch is worth a try, but the game is so different than CSGO, but maybe that's what you're looking for.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 10:21 AM, showtime said:

If you like CSGO, Overwatch might be tough to get into.  In Overwatch you often times get shot around corners, etc and you wonder why.  It's because of a thing called Rollback Compensation.  There will be times when you're in gun fight with someone and you go around a corner to avoid dying and you still die anyway.  It's really hard to deal with this when you come from a game like CSGO where I do not believe this is in the game (if it is, it's very small amount).

Overwatch is worth a try, but the game is so different than CSGO, but maybe that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the info. Overwatch sounds fun, definitely sounds different than CSGO when it comes to FPS's. It's been a long time since I have played any games.. PC or console. I have always been a PC game player growing up.. I played Counter Strike when it first came out, and than moving onto Counter Strike Source. I always was pretty big into CoD up to Modern Warfare.. but from about a year after the release, I pretty much stopped playing any and all PC games.. and that hadn't changed until about a month ago when I booted up again. Just trying to see what all I have missed during my hiatus. 

Edited by coors

On 10/21/2017 at 11:21 AM, showtime said:

If you like CSGO, Overwatch might be tough to get into.  In Overwatch you often times get shot around corners, etc and you wonder why.  It's because of a thing called Rollback Compensation.  There will be times when you're in gun fight with someone and you go around a corner to avoid dying and you still die anyway. 

If I've experienced this myself, I haven't noticed it too much. Wireless connection. Maybe sometimes the DVA bomb gets me when I feel it shouldn't.

14 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

If I've experienced this myself, I haven't noticed it too much. Wireless connection. Maybe sometimes the DVA bomb gets me when I feel it shouldn't.

Same.  This is really common in Team Fortress 2 as well, which coincidentally, is a very similar type of game to Overwatch and a game that developers have said they have gotten a lot of influence from.  Since he is coming from CSGO, he will notice this rollback compensation a lot and honestly, from what I've been told, it is really off-putting.  As for myself, I am used to it so it does not bother me as much.

The United States vs Korea match on Hanamura ending in a draw has always been a huge problem with the attack/defend style maps in this game (in my opinion).  To have a match that went that long and to not have a resolution is terrible.  Honestly, as someone who plays this game, I hate when I see Hanamura or Temple of Anubis when I play competitive.  I would have thought they would have came up with some way to change this by now.  I hope they do eventually.