Eagles Draft: 2nd round (53 ovr): Miles Sanders, RB Penn State

Kiltman

11 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I think Michel is a really good comp for him - he reminds me of the perfect combination of Yeldon and Michel. 

His vision and cuts remind me of Edgerrin James.  Obviously no one expects him to be Edge.  If our line plays anything close to their ‘17 level, he’s gonna tear it up.

For the record, I wasn’t a fan of the pick at the time.  Mostly because I was in draft mode and it didn’t seem like good value.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First half of season Miles really didn't impress me. Felt his production as a runner could be replicated from pretty much any average back, and he was doing nothing to really distinguish himself as a guy worthy of a 2nd round pick. Lately though I am seeing more and more what he brings to the table that can separate him from others: elite burst and his ability as a receiver. If his vision/patience improves, I think we will finally have ourselves a true dynamic RB1 again. 

Also, it helps his case that his competition for best rookie on the team is downright pathetic. 

• Like 1

He looked special here or there in the beginning of the season too. Difference IMO was, Trust Factor.

Pederson and Wentz Trusting he knew the Offense, the adjustments, Blitz pick up, hitting the right holes, ect. Things most Rookies struggle at. 

No one wanted him protecting Wentz coming off injury, until he showed/proved he could.  Now it's clear not only that he knows the playbook but that he knows what to do. As we move forward, he should only get better in the years to come the more he gets comfortable in this Offense. 

Sky's the limit really assuming he stays healthy!!

18 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

He looked special here or there in the beginning of the season too. Difference IMO was, Trust Factor.

Pederson and Wentz Trusting he knew the Offense, the adjustments, Blitz pick up, hitting the right holes, ect. Things most Rookies struggle at. 

No one wanted him protecting Wentz coming off injury, until he showed/proved he could.  Now it's clear not only that he knows the playbook but that he knows what to do. As we move forward, he should only get better in the years to come the more he gets comfortable in this Offense. 

Sky's the limit really assuming he stays healthy!!

He looks special when the holes are obvious, and as a receiver. He looks average when has to find the hole or can't turn the corner. Coincidentally, Boston Scott is (based on like 3 game sample size) better at seeing holes develop and running through traffic, and just taking what the OL gives him when it's not holes galore.

I'd like to see them race each other.

I think the main difference between early season Miles and Current Miles is he isn't trying to string together 3 jukes anymore, he's just making 1 juke, and then hitting the accelerator. He changed from Shady to Arian Foster, and Arian Foster is who he should run like, so I'm happy with that progress, but I still need to see him show better vision when our OL isn't making pancakes before I say sky is the limit. Vision is the limit until proven otherwise.

Edited by Jeezla

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I think the main difference between early season Miles and Current Miles is he isn't trying to string together 3 jukes anymore, he's just making 1 juke, and then hitting the accelerator. 

That's the rookie factor I was eluding too. It took him awhile to realize what he did in college, won't fly in the NFL.

Scott is in his 2nd year and was probably tutored every day by Darren Sproles what to do and NOT do at our size when your opportunity comes. To me that's the difference in the two RB's. Scott 2 years in a Doug Pederson Offense,  Miles 6 months.

I expect a massive leap next year. Not calling for 1500+ type BS but no doubt RB1 type numbers in this Offense "assuming health"!!!

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's the rookie factor I was eluding too. It took him awhile to realize what he did in college, won't fly in the NFL.

Scott is in his 2nd year and was probably tutored every day by Darren Sproles what to do and NOT do at our size when your opportunity comes. To me that's the difference in the two RB's. Scott 2 years in a Doug Pederson Offense,  Miles 6 months.

I expect a massive leap next year. Not calling for 1500+ type BS but no doubt RB1 type numbers in this Offense "assuming health"!!!

We'll see. It'll mostly depend on how the OL plays, which will be interesting to see next year after Kelce most likely retires, and Dillard moves to full time LT. I also think Doug keeps the 2 or 3 headed monster approach, so Miles will rarely get more than 15 carries.

11 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Miles is cool, but he'll still be the 4th best RB in the division if the Skins draft Etiennne/Swift/Taylor (I doubt they will, but you never know). Boston Scott has been just about as good when given chances, besides yesterday.

Wow you must be a whole lot of fun at parties. Barkley and Zeke are both top 3 Elite Runningbacks. Etienne Swift and Taylor certainly all have high potential.